Is using just a single channel ram bad?

aajohnny

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Hey,
Well I found out I have a bunch of dead motherboard slots so I'm left with one slot... Anyways I use my computer for a lot of 3d things, rendering, ect and currently I have 4gb stick in that slot... If I get a 8gb stick would I see a difference in performance from games to multitasking from 4gb ram to 8gb? even if its just one stick?

aajohnny

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Well my mobo is a :asus p6x58d premium and my processor is a Intel i7 930 both are compatible with each other, and the reason I know they are dead is I called ASUS and I tested each stick of ram in each of the slots and it wouldn't boot from all the slots but the A1 (first blue which my mobo recommends) I could have two sticks of ram in A1 and B1 but it'll only recognize the one in A1. I ran scans and memory had to problems. The question is would 8gb single be better or see better performance then a 4gb single? I am only doing this temporarily till I get a new mobo. I think it shorted , that's why they died.

InvalidError

Titan
Since all the motherboard does is provide the passive copper interconnect between the CPU and DIMM slots, there is a definite probability that it might be your CPU's memory controller channels that are busted in which case swapping the motherboard out will not help you in any way.

aajohnny

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
back on topic, would I benefit from 4 to 8gb? even if its single channel which I did just see a article by tomshardware showing a minor difference. I'm assuming the 8gb stick would work and i'd be running 8gb ram on my mobo, just making sure thats true.