Seeking help in building my new rig $700 - $900

imakuzim

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
Hello people!

I'm planning to build a system right now since I really need an upgrade while waiting for Ivy Bridge.

Now I want something low budget since I'm planning to spend my budget on ivy.

As a starter, I'm planning it to be around the i3-2100 build.. is this recommended?
I have also decided to have a H67 mother board since its cheaper and I won't be needing the P67 or Z68 anyway, but what about H61? Is the difference worth the premium of H67?

SLI is not an option since this will not be my main build. But still I would like it to run on maximum settings at 1080P resolution. - is this possible with an i3-2100? games would be like starcraft 2, diablo 3, wow, l4d etc..

I think for the case I would go for the Corsair Carbide 400R..

What is the recommened monitor size for 1080P?

Below is the link of the price list of the store.
http://pcx.com.ph/pricelists/2011-09-02-1057.zip
$1US = PHP 43

If possible, I would like it to be around $700 - $900. Monitor is included in the budget.
Peripherals are not included.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Monitor size - This is usually down to personal prefrence. I sit fairly close to my monitor and hate having to move my head so 22" is the perfect size. I believe most people go for either 22-24.

Motherboard - Go for a z68 - Its basically a combination of its predecessors and packs the most features for not much extra cost. It will also support ivybridge. H67 does not allow CPU overclocking.

SLI - Despite this not being you main build, it could be...build a PC as you wish, use the i3 processor for now, and then when ivybridge comes just switch the processor and keep the same build.

I might be wrong, but i think this would be your best option:
i3 processor (to use untill ivy birdge)
z68 motherboard
6970 GPU (depending on budget)

Run a single card for now (6970 will smash all current games) and then when you want to upgrade to ivybridge you could even consider buying another 6970 - although it will probably still be running all games maxed out on a single card.

If your budget doesn't stretch to a 6970, you could consider 6950 or 560Ti.

QwertyMusicMan

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
For gaming, processors don't matter as much as a video card. This being said, the i3 2100k isn't the best processor out there, by any means.

If you're planning to use an integrated graphics card, then you're screwed. Simple as that. If you buy a good separate card like a 6850 you'll be able to run things good enough.

I'm not an expert on mobos, so I can't help you there.

Depending on the size of your desk, anything from 16-24 inches should be fine for a monitor.

QwertyMusicMan

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

You can Overclock a 2GB 6950 to make it a 6970, saving some money. :)

imakuzim

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
Hi guys thanks for your input.

1st of all. getting Z68 IMO is not worth it because i3-2100 cant be overclocked in the 1st place.
and then there's my question again if H67 is worth the premium over H61.

About the monitor, you are right. That is also the range of my target sizes, but I did ask it hoping to receive some geeky reasons such as get this X monitor size coz it will deliver the most and this and that.... But thanks I think i'm going for samsung 23" PX2370.

About video card, I think I can't stretch my budget to 6970 price. FYI when I can buy ivy, I would be buying a whole set of computer so adding a card from existing card for SLI is not an option.

About PSU, given the standards of a corsair or any other reliable brand, what would be the recommended voltage?

Again thanks for your input guys!

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

The main difference between H61 and H67 is the RAID support and extra SATA controllers. If you only plan on using a single HDD then H61 will be fine.
In order for me to recommend a PSU wattage, you first need to chose what GPU you will be using with your build. The GPU pretty much determins what size PSU your build will require.

madchemist83

Distinguished
H61 will not support Ivy Bridge. So what is thje point of getting computer now and buying cheap parts when u'll upgrade to IB which the cheapes version will cost 300 green ones? How long do u plan on having a computer for? Also I would go with P67 and 6950 do not oc to 6970 it unlocks shaders and right now there is not that many that can be unlocked

008Rohit

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Processor : Intel Core i3 2100 - Dual Core - 65W - 32nm LGA1155 Sandy Bridge - $125
Motherboard : ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 - $130
Graphics Card : HIS IceQ X Turbo H685QNT1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 - $165
RAM : Corsair 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Dual-Channel Memory - $45
Storage : Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s - $60
Optical Drive : LG DVD R/W - $20
PSU : Antec Neo Eco 620W - $49.99 (after mail-in rebates)
Case : Your Choice - $50

Total : $600 after rebates

You can get the i5 2400 for $60 more, Though i3 2100 is enough for playing any current and upcoming games.

The MoBo offers PCIe 3.0 slots and Ivy Bridge upgradation possibility.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
I forgot the initial intention was to upgrade to ivybridge, oops.

008Rohit has about the right build and that motherboard is a great choice. Since the plan is to switch it IvyBridge id stick with the i3 though, not worth shelling out more money on something thats planned not to last.

imakuzim

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
Thanks that is a nice build. But I have to make it clear as I think I got misunderstood.
I won't be building something then upgrade the proc to ivy bridge, as I've said, I will be buying a new set of components when ivy bridge is out. Which I think defeats the purpose of getting an ivy bridge compatible mobo.

What I need right now is a system that will best fit on the given budget. That system won't get upgraded - it will be replaced, so don't think of getting a premium for any future compatibilities.

Now the real challenge is building the system at the pricelist i've given on my 1st post.
Some things could be more expensive.

I have decided to shell out the budget for the monitor since I have decided what it would be. - Samsung PX2370.

So the new budget is $700 at max. Again, peripherals are not included and the link for the pricelist below.
http://pcx.com.ph/pricelists/2011-09-06-1059.zip

Thanks a lot for helping me guys you're all doing a great job!

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

Surprisingly, they're exactly right! :)