I5 2500k - 5.1 Windows Experience Score

proutka

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Recently just bought a new PC, installed Windows 7 within 10 minutes, was up and running without any problems.
First day with clean install of Windows 7, rand Windows Experience, scored a 5.1 with the brand new i5 2500k. Didn't concern me, kinda figured it could of just been a bad test, didn't think much of it.

-First week of having the PC, everything ran perfect and smooth. Running multiple tabs in Google Chrome, World of Warcraft and Heroes of Newerth all at the same time, with no hiccups at all. Three nights ago finally finished installing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, ran perfectly fine and smooth couldn't of been happier. The next night however, started experiencing bad frame lag, and poor performance.
-Not a problem I thought I'd turn the settings down a little and live with it. Did that and still was receiving about the same amount of frame lag.
-This began to make me impatient, my first suspect was my Video Card. I turned the graphic settings to the lowest possible settings, and tried running the game. I had the same problems with frame lag and bad performance.
-Thought it could be game related, so I tried a game that ran smoothly on my older (less powerful machine) Heroes of Newerth. I was receiving frame loss as well in this game, which i knew should not happen.
-I swapped out the Video Cards today 570GTX with a ATI 4870 (much slower I'm aware, but all I have) Loaded drivers, everything is running good like normal. Decide to try out Heroes of Newerth, I begin experiencing frame loss while tabbing in and out of the game in the menu system.

I believe I've narrowed it down to it not being my Video Card now, and this is where I'm stuck. This is where the Windows Experience score comes into play a bit. PC scored previously 7.7 in RAM, 7.9 in Graphics (both Gaming and plain), and 7.3 in Primary Hard Disk. With the temp video card the only thing that dropped as expected was the Graphics (scored 7.4 in both gaming and plain graphics)

From here I'm not able to tell what it is, if its my Motherboard or CPU. Any tips for figuring out/troubleshooting these without just RMA'ing the CPU back to newegg, would be much appreciated. I don't want to do this, because I'm wanting to be get a replacement (not buy a new one), and my month of time since I made the purchase is running out. So I might only have enough time to RMA one product back and eat the cost of the other if its not the first choice make.

PC Specs
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500k Sandy Bridge - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231431
Primary Hard Disk: OCZ Agility 3 120gb Sata III - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227726
Secondary Hard Disk: Seagate 7200 RPM 500GB
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 LGA 1155 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157250
Video Card: EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130620
Temp Video Card I used: ATI HD 4870 (1GB? I think)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Before RMAing anything, next time it happens, exit the game and run CCleaner. Do the Clean and Registry both. Defrag if you feel like it, too. See if the system is full of useless crap and registry errors. And have a good virus/malware program running. I like Microsoft Securities Essentials. See if it fixes things.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

And I presume, between all the Nvidia/AMD card swapping, you did the usual driver uninstall, Driver Sweeper from Safe Mode routine, right?

http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html

What catagory were you getting the 5.1 WEI in?

proutka

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Actually already ran CCleaner, the day I started having problems. Just had a new Install of Norton 2012, before having problems on the computer. And I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers before putting in the Nvidia card. I did it manually. When I booted with the ATI card the only thing that was remaining was HD Audio Driver. Uninstalled that, then installed the ATI drivers.

*EDIT* Also, its a Solid State Drive, running Defrag on that would hurt the integrity of the drive more than anything, so If it is the drive, it should be replaceable due to it being brand new etc...

Also getting the 5.1 WEI in Processor: Calculations per Second

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like you're doing everything correctly. I forgot you had a SSD, sorry. Are you still getting 5.1 for the processor in WEI? For comparison, my Phenom II X4 980 3.7GHZ gets a 7.4 ...Naturally, your i5 should at least equal and probably exceed that. Did you remember to install the chipset, etc. drivers for your motherboard?

proutka

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Yeah, what's strange is that, it ran like i expected for a week (very fast and I was actually surprised at how well it was performing), even with that bad 5.1 WEI score. And yes, It's the same (5.1) score still today. I'm not sure if the processor is just breaking down even more now that it's been in use now or what, but obviously its still hitting the same score on the WEI. I'm currently downloading PCMark 7 going to try that and check with same builds see where I'm sitting.

Also, reran CCleaner and ran the Driver Sweeper like you suggested, picked up some old Nvidia drivers, but still having performance issues after rebooting after cleaning. I use a headset, and I'm able to pick up sound/audio glitches when the computer bogs down, don't know if this helps narrow it down. Think it mostly just broadens it... lol

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Run a CPU intensive prg like Prime95 and leave Task Manager's Performance tab open. See if all cores are running at 100% like they should be.

Then watch TM again running a GPU intensive prg like Furmark (in a window or else tab to TM) at your native resolution. All cores should be near idle with just minor activity.

proutka

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Cool thanks, I ran PCMark 7, was no help at all really, scored a 2700, which some scores were scored that low (this is with my current config with my ATI card). BUT most were in the 4000-5000 range with the ATI card.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

yes, but run those 2 pgms I suggested while watch the CPU in Task Manager... That'll tell you if your CPU is running on all cores and if it is running 100%.

proutka

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

Will do! Currently at work, basically ended the troubleshooting last night just with PCMark, was too tired/fed up by the end of the night lol.

*EDIT* Will also watch the temps on the computer while these are running to look for high heat problems, but I haven't had it just shut off yet, so I do not believe its getting too hot. Good thing to note though!

proutka

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Also, want to note, running the Furmark Benchmark/stress tester, my CPU 0 topped out at 100% the other ones were idle. Could this be related to PhysX and my motherboard using the CPU for extra boost for the video stress?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

This may be more than simply a bad HSF/Thermal Paste problem. Furmark should only stress your GPU; not the CPU. The CPU should be near idle with all 4 cores. My PHII X4 980 has all 4 cores at practically idle when Furmark runs.

How many cores were hitting 100% during the Prime95 run?

proutka

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
On Prime95, all 4 cores were maxed out, CPU running at 97C. I disabled workers individually to make sure each CPU was handling their appropriate worker/load, and they were. On Furmark, CPU 0 was topped out as well, with the Z68 board, there is onboard video, which appears I probably need to disable this. Because PhysX (Nvidia) might be using the i5 video processing capabilities to compensate the load. May not necessarily be the problem, but once i get this new heat sink, I'd assume it'd be next to check.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think that is the problem. I was just reading thru the BIOS manual for your board. And the PCI Express is the default adaptor. Most modern boards automatically switch from the i-Core's CPU's graphics chip to the PCI express anyway. But, it's worth a try.

More importantly, if your CPU temp was registering 97C, I'm surprised it didn't shut down. According to:
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core%20i5-2500K%20CM8062300833803.html
...max operating temp is 72.6C

Check your temps with Core Temp
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ If temps still read that high, do as suggested. Re-do the thermal paste and/or reseat the processor/HSF. Sometimes one of the push-pin feet don't open and lock the cooler in place... even though it looks like it. I always look under the board after pressing them to be sure the fingers are locked.

The igpu is disabled unless 1) you have a monitor plugged into it or 2) you have lucid running but even this will not run in furmark as it has a list to what program to run in.

Let me clarify physx and explain why this is not the issue. Physics calculations are usually done by the cpu. Physx is using a nvidia card, and I will stress only a nvidia card, to offload the physics calculation off of the cpu and using the nvidia gpu. Furmark tests the gpu and doesn't have any physics to calculate so physx isn't even being utilized unless you were running fluidmark. But as physx takes the load off of the cpu, the cpu still shows no usage. Another issue is the igpu is not going to show up in cpu usage as it is not the cpu it is a seperate gpu.

Let me correct you. While the pcie will default to the primary, the igpu can still be on as stated in my previous post. 72.6C is the rated tcase not the shut off safe temp, also stated before. No offense but you seem to be an amateur going off in the wrong direction from the start. I appreciate help don't get me wrong but you are complicating things.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

So... what was it exactly that this amateur said that was so incorrect that it required such a reprimand?

I never said you were incorrect except for the tcase and igpu facts, I said you went in the wrong direction. I am not reprimanding you, I would appreciate if you continue to help but fixing the temps first may clear up other issues caused by thermal throttling which is the main issue.

proutka

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Installed new heatsink/thermal paste, working perfectly fine. It was most likely off though, but just decided to replace it anyways. Running like a charm, and staying cool haven't broken 40C on max load yet. Thanks for all the help.

TRENDING THREADS