Is it worth buying this items at this time?

steel-blade

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Hey all. I am in need of some upgrades for my PC.

I ended up selecting this items which they seem pretty ok and strong enough to last another 2-3 years.

This is a gaming PC btw, if someone things that is a better item out there that is worth replacing (in the same price range of course) please feel free to point it out.

ASUS P8P67 DELUXE REV3.0
234 euro

INTEL CORE I7-2600K 3.40 GHZ LGA1155 - BOX
326 euro

KINGSTON KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX 8GB (2X4GB) PC12800 HYPERX GENESIS XMP DUAL CHANNEL KIT
59 euro

OCZ AGT3-25SAT3-120G 120GB AGILITY3 SATA3 2.5" SSD
189 euro

My question though is this.

Is this items safe to buy at the current time or will there be a new CPU or mobo chipset that will pop up in the next few months that will make this items obsolete??

I would hate to spend 900 euros today only to see i can get better items in the next 2-3 months or so..

Please advice.

Regards

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Technology is constantly improving. AMD's BullDozer, ATI's 7xxx Series, Intel's IvyBridge and Nvidia's 7xx series all loom in the not-so-distant future.

Christmas sales will also no doubt see a pretty big dip in prices.

If this build is for gaming you could instantly save yourself quite alot by getting an i5-2500k instead of the i7-2600k. (Performance is very much the same, literally just a few FPS difference)

Corsair Vengeance RAM is usually chosen over Kingston (make sure which ever RAM you go for is 1.5v)

Motherboard - From what i've heard the Deluxe is over-rated and the minor amount of extra features dont warrant the extra price you have to pay. Something like the ASUS P8Z68-v PRO would be a better buy.

EDIT: Also, you haven't listed a GPU, and the P67 motherboard you have listed, doesn't have any onboard video.

steel-blade

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

Well, the i5 is 100 euro cheaper from the i7. And the PC is not just for gaming, i use it for other things also and i kinda like the sound of the i7 over the i5.

The voltage of that the ram is at 1.65v. Is that a problem? What is the difference of 1.5 vs 1.65 . Please provide some more info on that.

The deluxe has a 2 Ethernet cards which I 100% need. It costs 50 euro more so i cant really discard it for 50 euro more.

As for the GPU i already got one, its a 9800 GTX which am happy with it at the moment.

I am kinda forced to upgrade my system because my rampage formula motherboard is faulty. Its been 4 years since my last upgrade on my PC so i think is time to move on to newer chipsets.

steel-blade

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

Am not doing lots of encoding per day but i do some per month.

Thanks for the heads up of the ram. I had no clue about it.

What ram would you recommend on buying?

I need 2x 4gb at 1600mhz and it seems my options are limited where i live.
IF you can take a look at this page and recommend one it would be so great :D

http://www.eshopcy.com.cy/search.phtml?table=PER&category=%CC%CD%C7%CC%C7+RAM&filter-194=1&filter-207=1&filter-205=1

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Corsair Vengeance is a popular choice.
G.Skill is another popular one

both do 2x4GB sticks @ 1600MHz 1.5v

This RAM would work however its only 1333MHz, not too much difference but generally the price difference between 1333 and 1600 is so little its worth buying the 1600MHz. Im unaware of Greek PC suppliers but the website you linked me to didn't seem to have too much to offer.
http://www.eshopcy.com.cy/show.phtml?id=PER.552696

This Corsair Dominator would work well, despite being 4x2GB sticks rather than 2x4GB but it seems to carry such a high price tag compared to the rest. (double the price of the rest from what i can see)
http://www.eshopcy.com.cy/show.phtml?id=PER.553140

steel-blade

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

Tell me about.
It sucks we dont have access in decent hardware.

So if i buy a 1.65v ram it will not work at all with my system? It will work but it will make it crash?

What exactly is the deal here?

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Some people are able to run 1.65v RAM with a Socket 1155 motherboard. Others find their system just wont work and it causes alot of stress on the CPU.

There are ways to undervolt the RAM so you can change 1.65v down to 1.5v and change the timings- however, i have no personal experience of this. Theres also a chance that 1.65v will work with your CPU and motherboard choice, but again ive never personally looked into it so am probably not the best to advise.