PC can't run in 1920x1080 but graphics card is capable of it

bob925

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
I have a Radeon HD3450 card that I replaced from my main PC. I tried putting it in an older PC to connect to my TV so I can watch movies, etc. on there. Problem is that this older PC can't run in 1920x1080 mode and without that, the best mode my TV is compatible with is 1024x768. That's better than nothing, but I'd like to try and get the PC in 1920x1080 mode. Does anyone have any ideas as to what's causing this limitation? Graphics card's drivers were updated already. Max resolution I can select is 1600x1200.

PC:
Pentium D 2.7Ghz processor
1GB Ram
Windows 7 ultimate (32 bit)
ATI Radeon HD3450 graphics with 500MB memory

Solution
Have you tried "google-ing" before posted on here.... That is because the native reslution of your tv when plugged through the VGA or DVI cable you are using is only 1024x768, If it is a HD compatible television you need to plug it through a HDMI cable and then you will on a digital signal which will allow you to view at either 720p or 1080p depending on your TV

Hope I helped.

adam_x_brookes

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
Have you tried "google-ing" before posted on here.... That is because the native reslution of your tv when plugged through the VGA or DVI cable you are using is only 1024x768, If it is a HD compatible television you need to plug it through a HDMI cable and then you will on a digital signal which will allow you to view at either 720p or 1080p depending on your TV

Hope I helped.

Solution

bob925

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

Don't think that's the issue. I've had a different PC plugged into the same TV with the same cable and that was at 1920x1080. It did display oddly though, not taking up the full screen, so it could be related. I'll try with an HDMI cable and see if that works. Thanks for the quick reply!

ComputerCurious21

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
bob925 Hi, are you sure you are running the resolution you want on the TV?

If you want your TV to hit its best resolution through HDMI you have to extend your main monitor with your TV or use your TV as the main monitor to the PC. If you "Set Resolution" in Control Panel while your TV is connected to the PC you should see a option to the bottom, It should say "Only Display on 1" which stands for your main Display. Then you should see "Only Display on 2" which is your TV, If you select Only Display On 2 and hit apply it will shut down your main monitor to your PC and leave the TV monitor on which allows it to run at the highest resolution the TV is capable of through HDMI. If you want both screens running at a time but at different resolution you will have to use the extend option in the same place the other ones were located, just use that and you should see a 1 and a 2 above all the options. Press on 1 to and set the desired resolution for number 1, Click on number 2 to set whatever resolution the TV supports from HDMI.

Note: These settings above wont be visible unless you have your TV already connected to the PC! cheers!