Sign in with
Your question

MDG.ca destkop financing. Good deal or just sketchy?

Last response: in Systems
September 2, 2011 1:28:12 PM

In Canada, we have the computer retailer called MDG that has several stores but also has an online store.
On it's website, it says you can finance a computer for only pennies a day.

http://www.mdg.ca/finance/desktops.aspx

It's top of the line desktop, the Apton GX, has financing for only $1.99/day or almost $60/month.

Here are its specs from the website:
Quote:
Processor Intel® Core™i7-950
(8M Cache, 3.06 GHz, 4.80 GT/s)
O/S Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64-bit
Motherboard Intel® DX58 Chipset - Parallel port, integrated VGA & DVI ports, High Definition Audio and integrated 10/100/1000 network connection, enrich your multimedia creation experience
Memory 8GB DDR3 - 1333MHz Kingston® High Performance Memory
Hard Drive 2.0TB (2000GB)
Monitor 24" Cinematic Widescreen LCD - 1920x1080 True High Definition Viewing with 2ms Response Time (G-to-G)
Graphics Radeon HD6770 - 1GB
Audio Intel® HD Audio onboard, Desk Audio Extreme Sound 2.1 Speakers - 1200W (p.m.p.o)
Disk Drive LG® 24x DVD+/-R/RW Internal Drive
Card Reader Multi-In-One card reader
Mouse/key Microsoft® 400 USB Keyboard & Mouse
Case Silver/Black

It says interest rate is 9.8% but I'm not sure what the total cost would be.
Your opinions?
September 2, 2011 4:33:04 PM

$1.99/day for how many months? Have you seen the system? You need to find out exactly what components are used to build the system in order to determine if it really is a good deal or not.
September 6, 2011 11:55:34 PM

just looking, you may even want to just build a computer and pay up front, you will have to wait but that computer may be way overpriced. (emphasis on may)
September 8, 2011 5:42:19 AM

I just finished the paperwork and it looks like it's going to cost $80 per month for 36 months. If you do the math, it is way over priced because of the interest. In my case I don't have the greatest credit rating so I got hit with the 28% financing.

I am somewhat disappointed because I had originally financed a Toshiba Qosmio Laptop. But they sold out during the application process. The sales rep was going to refund my first payment and I was not pressured into purchasing another computer. But it's been years since I've had a desktop and saw the Apton GX and it has some good perks including the 1080P capability. So I chose to go for the desktop.

I can't tell you how good the computer is until I get it. But I have compared it to other system by places like Dell and the price is on par. It's the interest that is going to cost me.

Hope that helps.
!