Hey guys,

I built a pc:

Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
AMD Phenom X2 1090T
Patriot 8gb Ram
Western digital 1Terabyte 7200 Rpm 6GB/s Sata 3
XFX radeon hd 6870
750W OCZ Fatality Power Supply

I have since returned the first card which was found to not pass stability tests by XFX though according to them it did run. I have received the replacement and low and behold it does the same thing, that is, no monitor output. Anyone out there heard of compatibility issues with the motherboard i am using? I have had another video card in the machine so its not the mb by itself...

Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks!
a c 129 U Graphics card
July 1, 2011 6:30:57 PM

Make sure the BIOS is up to date. Also, every time I ever make a physical configuration change with my AMD video cards, I've had to re-install the drivers.

Uninstall the Catalyst drivers through the control panel->programs->uninstall a program option. Choose express uninstall. Reboot. Run driver sweeper ( http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html ) removing just the AMD/ATI drivers. Reboot. Install the latest AMD drivers drivers.

Also, beware some of the money saving techniques companies will use to reduce warranty costs. They may have just turned around and sent you back the same card hoping you'll just go away. Call them out on it if you update your BIOS, re-install the drivers and it still doesn't work.

m
l
July 1, 2011 7:16:33 PM

Do you think re-installing the mb drivers might help too? They are all the latest but maybe re-installing them all might help...

Im trying to get a refund, though i doubt that they will do that... gonna try switch to a gtx 560 ti.
m
l
Related resources
July 2, 2011 1:03:23 AM

Tried everything u said. computer just doesnt see it. anywhere.

ideas?

Could the card just be incompatible? is that likely? XFX said they tested it prior to sending it out and it was fine.
m
l
a c 129 U Graphics card
July 2, 2011 11:54:18 AM

Sure. Undoubtedly, XFX is going to say they tested it before they sent it back to you whether they did or not. On the other hand, I've never heard of a good card being completely ignored by a motherboard (especially when other cards work in the system). It's not like you're dealing with an ancient motherboard that can't work with this type of card.

I still say you're working with a bad video card, but to give XFX the benefit of the doubt, you could try the video card in another PC and see if it is recognized by it.

Is there someone you know willing to try it in their motherboard?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2011 11:55:34 AM

Have you tried a different video card?
m
l
a c 129 U Graphics card
July 2, 2011 11:56:44 AM

browsingtheworld said:
Have you tried a different video card?

OP said they had another card in the system that worked.
m
l
!