Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Signature

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 9:05:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I want to be about to put my signature on my photos. I figure I would
capture the signature and turn it into a Gimp mask and then use that
mask to lighten/darken the signed area. The problem is capturing the
signature. I would like to use a graphics tablet, but I don't have one
and Kinko's does not seem to have them in their computer area. So the
next idea is to sign something large and scan it. But that would be
"messier" (I assume). Has anyone one done this and have some tips? Or
ideas on who would have a graphics tablet for a short rental?


--
Matt Silberstein

All in all, if I could be any animal, I would want to be
a duck or a goose. They can fly, walk, and swim. Plus,
there there is a certain satisfaction knowing that at the
end of your life you will taste good with an orange sauce
or, in the case of a goose, a chestnut stuffing.

More about : signature

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 9:05:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <tcoh41ppotc2hjas8cf30vmbt2cae2b0tq@4ax.com>,
Matt Silberstein <RemoveThisPrefixmatts2nospam@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> I want to be about to put my signature on my photos. I figure I would
> capture the signature and turn it into a Gimp mask and then use that
> mask to lighten/darken the signed area. The problem is capturing the
> signature. I would like to use a graphics tablet, but I don't have one
> and Kinko's does not seem to have them in their computer area. So the
> next idea is to sign something large and scan it. But that would be
> "messier" (I assume). Has anyone one done this and have some tips? Or
> ideas on who would have a graphics tablet for a short rental?

Just scan it. Big and messy is good. A perfect copy of your signature
isn't a good thing to have digitized and public. Make a big signature
with a felt tip pen, maybe using two lines or artwork. It shouldn't
look too much like the way you'd sign a document.
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 9:05:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Matt Silberstein <RemoveThisPrefixmatts2nospam@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> I want to be about to put my signature on my photos. I figure I would
> capture the signature and turn it into a Gimp mask and then use that mask
> to lighten/darken the signed area. The problem is capturing the signature.
> I would like to use a graphics tablet, but I don't have one and Kinko's
> does not seem to have them in their computer area. So the next idea is to
> sign something large and scan it. But that would be "messier" (I assume).
> Has anyone one done this and have some tips? Or ideas on who would have a
> graphics tablet for a short rental?

Write your signature on a piece of paper. Take a picture of it. Voila.
You're only going to turn it into a mask, so it doesn't need to be that
good. As someone else mentioned: You don't want it to be easily
reproducible, either.
Related resources
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 4:40:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:46:47 -0800, in rec.photo.digital , Kevin
McMurtrie <mcmurtri@dslextreme.com> in
<mcmurtri-8474BD.22464728032005@corp-radius.supernews.com> wrote:

>In article <tcoh41ppotc2hjas8cf30vmbt2cae2b0tq@4ax.com>,
> Matt Silberstein <RemoveThisPrefixmatts2nospam@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>> I want to be about to put my signature on my photos. I figure I would
>> capture the signature and turn it into a Gimp mask and then use that
>> mask to lighten/darken the signed area. The problem is capturing the
>> signature. I would like to use a graphics tablet, but I don't have one
>> and Kinko's does not seem to have them in their computer area. So the
>> next idea is to sign something large and scan it. But that would be
>> "messier" (I assume). Has anyone one done this and have some tips? Or
>> ideas on who would have a graphics tablet for a short rental?
>
>Just scan it. Big and messy is good. A perfect copy of your signature
>isn't a good thing to have digitized and public. Make a big signature
>with a felt tip pen, maybe using two lines or artwork. It shouldn't
>look too much like the way you'd sign a document.

Once you say it, it makes sense. I don't want a signature, I want some
art I can superimpose that looks like a signature.

Thanks.


--
Matt Silberstein

All in all, if I could be any animal, I would want to be
a duck or a goose. They can fly, walk, and swim. Plus,
there there is a certain satisfaction knowing that at the
end of your life you will taste good with an orange sauce
or, in the case of a goose, a chestnut stuffing.
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 7:44:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Matt Silberstein <RemoveThisPrefixmatts2nospam@ix.netcom.com> wrote in
news:tcoh41ppotc2hjas8cf30vmbt2cae2b0tq@4ax.com:

> I want to be about to put my signature on my photos. I figure I would
> capture the signature and turn it into a Gimp mask and then use that
> mask to lighten/darken the signed area. The problem is capturing the
> signature. I would like to use a graphics tablet, but I don't have one
> and Kinko's does not seem to have them in their computer area. So the
> next idea is to sign something large and scan it. But that would be
> "messier" (I assume). Has anyone one done this and have some tips?

Make a large signature in black in on a high-white piece of paper. Scan in
1-bit mode, 1200 dpi. Convert to Grayscale and use the Magic Wand or your
graphic editor's equivelent to select it. Then copy and paste into your
desired document and size to taste. Depending on the program, you should be
able to keep the sig as a layer or make a Library object out of it for easy
future access.

This avoids any fringing when dropping on a background other than white and
makes it easy to change the color to taste. Works to a charm in a page
layout package like PageMaker, Quark Xpress or Indesign as well.
!