I made a fool of myself

lezschooch

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
so i just got a 6950. i plugged in all the power cables and seated it in my motherboard, i turned the computer on and cringed in pain as my monitor recieved "no signal" from the card. i did not disable the on board chip, but i probably should have, and i can't seem to turn the computer off by any means other than unplugging it (I'm REALLY not looking to do that) since the power button will not work.

any help for someone who's pretty incompetent with this stuff?

lezschooch

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
i did, there was no reaction, I'm sure that the connector from the front panel to the motherboard is in, otherwise i wouldn't have been able to turn it on. i didn't get a BIOS screen or anything, should i have plugged into the motherboards VGA instead of the cards DVI?

lezschooch

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
also, i just realized that none of my USB devices are getting any power ( mouse's laser is off, no numlock/capslock on keyboard) but my fans are spinning as loud and fast as ever.

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
OK so turn everyting off... Then take out your 6950 and let the PC boot from the onboard. Assuming it does restart and enter the BIOS and disable the onboard. Install your 6950 and plug the monitor cable into that card and restart. See what happens.

What is your PSU?

ozanuyan

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Okay forget what you read so far. Your PSU isn't able to supply enough power if your USB devices are not running. Just unplug the computer and disconnect all the fans except CPU's and GPU's.

lezschooch

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
ok I found my problem ( i think) and i HATE MYSELF for it... i unplugged the CPU's 12v ATX connectors, now i can put this together again and pray that i didn't break anything