Thermal shutdown

stejas

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Hello,
i have a hp pavillion dv6137tx laptop with nvidia geforce 7400.i have replaced the mother board and gpu.it runs smoothly with normal activities like surfing and documents editing.but when i play games it crashes down in 2secs.this keeps repeating only when i play games.otherwise works fine.maybe heating problem?donno?
wat will b the solution for it?

ozanuyan

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Get SpeedFan and monitor the heat of your GPU and CPU see which one heats. If your computer shuts down with no warning it's probably your CPU overheating but if the game crashes its most probably your GPU.

stejas

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

thanks for reply buddy.my laptop shutdown completely in 2secs with no warning.i feel its temperature increases while playing games n it shutdown to save the burning.but temperature should get stable at some point.n how do i do it, hv no idea? :sarcastic: i read some blogs and found out "that thermal paste must have not been put by my technician as motherboard and gpu was replaced a week ago". Otherwise the machine works gr8?

how to downclock the GPU?if that can solve the problem.

ozanuyan

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
I haven't seen any GPU that can be downclocked but you might be in luck if your card is compatible with Vtune. Does your laptop shutdown in the middle of a game, at the menu or without even seeing the menu? If it is in the middle of a game it might be your graphics card and you can monitor the heats after about 10 seconds of opening a game and decide which one does the shutting down. If its your CPU then the thermal paste might be the problem and if its your GPU I don't think they have thermal paste but I'm not sure as I haven't seen the inside of many laptops.

stejas

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
different games have different shutdown time like nfs mw plays without limits but nfs prostreet in the middle of the games crashes,blur at the menu itself and if it is warm booted this time of crashes is earlier.
thanks for the reply buddy.....feels good for the response.