Sign in with
Your question

Video Card Issue for New Home Build

Last response: in Systems
September 2, 2011 3:37:36 PM

Hello, I managed to make my first home built gaming PC thanks to contributors here. However I have a strange problem occurring. On boot up the video card doesn't come on initially so I have to reboot almost immediately to have it feed the signal to the monitor. My H/W is:

ANTEC 300 ATX Midtower
MB - ASROCK H61M Micro ATX
PS - ANTEC Earthwatts 750W
CPU - i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz
Mem - 8GB G Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
Vid - GE Force GTX 460 1GB
S/W - Windows 7

Any ideas on what I need to do to have the video turn on at the boot up?
Thanks
September 2, 2011 3:55:13 PM

try a different pci-e slot. what happens?

try a different power cable to the GPU.
m
l
September 2, 2011 4:04:06 PM

I had the same problem with the same motherboard so I swapped to an asus as asrock are a bit naf.

It is cause by not getting enough voltage from your motherboard. you can play around with the settings in your bios but if you screw it up you will ruin your pc.

I suggest a bigger motherboard that can handle the full 750 watt from your psu.

an alternative solution would be to check the amount of rails your psu has got as for each rail the wattage gets divided so the more the worse as your card wont get enough power from your psu as its being split a few times (and that is a big card for a micro motherboard!)

also slightly of topic check the size of your north bridge on your motherboard as even if you have 8gb of ram and a 1gb card your motherboard won't use it properly and you will be really dissapointed with performance..

m
l
Related resources
September 2, 2011 4:04:30 PM

Quote:
^

if that doesn't work I would think it could be a problem with the video cord connecting from the monitor to the pc or it is the psu maybe?

i was thinking that too.... but..... he does not mess with the cords at all, does a restart and it works... could be the cord. how many monitors do you have hooked up?
m
l
September 2, 2011 4:05:37 PM

tweek877 said:
I had the same problem with the same motherboard so I swapped to an asus as asrock are a bit naf.

It is cause by not getting enough voltage from your motherboard. you can play around with the settings in your bios but if you screw it up you will ruin your pc.

I suggest a bigger motherboard that can handle the full 750 watt from your psu.

an alternative solution would be to check the amount of rails your psu has got as for each rail the wattage gets divided so the more the worse as your card wont get enough power from your psu as its being split a few times (and that is a big card for a micro motherboard!)

also slightly of topic check the size of your north bridge on your motherboard as even if you have 8gb of ram and a 1gb card your motherboard won't use it properly and you will be really dissapointed with performance..

there you go..... good answer ;) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 192 U Graphics card
September 2, 2011 4:34:09 PM

Yes, you could have a bad mobo. But the whole "bigger mobo to handle the voltage" is meaningless. The stuff about # of rails was also utter gibberish, as was the remark about the "size" of the Northbridge. What did that even mean?
@OP, check your BIOS to be certain the desired video card is the one selected on initial power-up. If you didn't do it right after your build, reset your BIOS to its defaults using the jumper, then change the video card priority. Your PSU is a quality unit, with plenty of power available to run a pair of GTX 460s without breaking a sweat, so one will be no trouble at all.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 192 U Graphics card
September 2, 2011 4:45:00 PM

The fact that the machine apparently works after the reboot suggests the PSU is not the problem here. The mobo may be defective, but the BIOS should be reset and checked first.
Incidentally, a GPU that isn't getting enough power (e.g. if you forgot to plug in its power cable) will typically scream at you with a little piezo buzzer. That isn't happening here either.

m
l
September 2, 2011 5:42:58 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'll check the BIOS and all the cables this weekend.
m
l
!