Cant figure out why I'm getting BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

onesoul

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
I have a desktop that is just about a year old that has worked great for a longtime. A few months ago when I moved, the computer started giving me blue screens whenever it was being overworked. First, my basic setup is:
AMD Phenom II X4 CPU (3.0 stock)
MSI NF980-G65 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaw 4x2GB of Ram @ 1600
OCZ Agility 2 SSD 120GB
Gigabyte GTX460 1GB Model Video Card
Corsair 850W PSU
2x Western Digital 500GB HDD in Raid 0
1x Western Digital 500GB HDD
Corsair H70 Watercooler CPU Heatsink.

I Had the CPU overclocked to 3.6ghz but when I moved, I was seeing problems so I put it back onto 3.0 stock. However, One day I woke up to a frozen computer, and when I restarted it, I was suddenly getting a bluescreen during the Windows 7 startup. The computer now no longer recognizes hard drives well, cannot start up windows 7 without a bsod, and cannot finish installing a fresh windows xp or 7. When trying to install windows xp, it gives me a bsod and when trying to install windows 7, it does not have any hard drives listed as availble. As a result, I have tried the following:
Tried to install windows xp and windows 7 while connecting each of my 4 SSD/HDD separately. None of them are listed under windows 7 installer, and I get bsod when tryingn to instal XP.
I have tried replacing the motherboard with all else being the same. I get the same bluescreens.
I have tried replacing the CPU with the new motherboard. Same Problems
I have tried replacing the PSU with the new motherboard and CPU. Same Problems.
I have tried running it without the Graphics card, and running on the graphics on the motherboard. Same Problems.
I have tried replacing the RAM. Same Problem

As far as I can tell, I have tried replacing every single part of this computer, and now, nothing works. I currently have 3 CPUs, 2 motherboards, 2 PSU, a total of 6 sticks of 16GB ram, 3 Heatsinks, and 4 Harddrives.

I tried making the a new build with all the new parts, mobo, cpu, psu, ram, and a new ssd i bought for a laptop.

What could possibly be wrong with my desktop. What should I do next?

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Since you have replaced all hardware components that would suggest its a software problem. Id possibly consider buying a new Windows 7 installation CD. Also double check all of the components you are using are compatible with each other.

Clearing the CMOS might also be of use.

Are you formatting your HDD before you try to re-install Windows? If not, then id highly recommend FORMAT and Fresh install with the bare minimum connected - i.e 1 HDD, CPU, Motherboard, no GPU.

joedastudd

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Hit F8 everytime you boot windows and select disable automatic restart on system failure.
Next time you get a BSOD it will leave the error message on screen. Google it and you should be able to pinpoint the issue.

onesoul

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
sorry about the "someone please help" it was before adrian had posted, and i must have not refreshed...

I cant not have my graphics card in because the mobo that its in doesnt have graphics on it. as for the windows 7 cd, i highly doubt my windows 7 and windows xp cd decided to both get corupt somehow at the same time.. i used bothed perfectly fine last time. (the windows 7 is an upgrade version, so i have to install xp then install 7 on top of it)
and i cant format the hdd, because i cant get that far in either installation, 7 or xp. 7 shows no available drivers, and xp gets a bsod when its supposed to go to the part where you chose which driver u want to install it on.

I have automatic restart off, btu from what i can see when windows 7 is starting and the bsod starts there, the bluescreen instantly disappears and the computer restarts, same when i try to install xp. from what i can tell it looks like its restarting before the whole screen is even typed out on the screen.

cirdecus

Distinguished
When a BSOD hits during a windows install, it's almost certainly one of the three problems:

1) Motherboard controller going bad
2) hard disk going bad
3) RAM going bad

I haven't read anything about swapping hard drives yet. You said you took apart your 4 disks and installed them separately, but the system didn't recognize them. Did you try going into the controller options during startup and viewing the connected hard drive? Perhaps you have the BIOS configured to expect a raid of disks.

Sounds like a RAM or disk problem to me. Try putting one RAM stick in at a time in the first slot. Pick a mechanical drive to test over the SSD's, especially if you have sandforce SSD's. They're notoriously unreliable.

onesoul

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
When I connect everything and go into boot menu upon startup, everything shows.
however, sometimes they will not show up under the bios settings where you chose for example, the boot order of devices or even under the list of sata connectors.
I do have a raid 0 set, and is also recognized correctly under the boot menu upon startup.
I have had the problem for a while with old ram, and have tried with 2 new sticks of ram which did not solve the problem. as for the harddrive i've tried with all four, both my ssds and hdds. none are recognized under windows 7 or xp installer.

I'll try some more things tomorrow, see if i can get more info. please continue to help and give ideas.

onesoul

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
I have tried resetting the cmos, resetting to default settings, and my hard drives wont even show 90% of the time on the bios. Not only does it not show, it takes the bios like 10 minutes to detect none...

Is it possible for a psu to work enough to boot the bios, while slowly fry-ing the motherboard? cuz if so I guess that would explain why neither of my builds work since both motherboards have at one point been connected to this one psu.

onesoul

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
anyone?
Is it possible for a psu to work enough to boot the bios, while slowly fry-ing the motherboard? cuz if so I guess that would explain why neither of my builds work since both motherboards have at one point been connected to this one psu.

onesoul

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.