Gtx 560 ti worth it for my system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorda95

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Hey,

I recently had many problems with my almost-4-year-old computer, so I decided it was time to change some parts. I have never done this before, so I knew it was going to be a bit rough to learn alone.

I recently bought a Cooler Master HAF-X and installed all the parts myself, with no experience with computers whatsoever (to be honest, quite proud of myself).

At this moment, this is my PC:

Operating System
MS Windows XP Home 32-bit SP3

CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz
Conroe 65nm Technology

RAM
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz (5-5-5-18)

Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5K SE (LGA775)

Graphics
SyncMaster (1440x900@59Hz)
512MB GeForce 8800 GT (nVidia)

Hard Drives
313GB Western Digital WDC WD3200AAKS-00VYA0 (SATA)

Optical Drives
PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-212D
Power Supply
Antec EarthWatts 500 Watt Power Supply

A) I just bought a CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI, not installed yet.
B) I want to change to Windows 7.
C) My current video card is broken, I want to upgrade. My thoughts are the gtx 560 ti. Will this system be ok with the new power supply, new case, and windows 7?
D) and the rest of the components, or do I need to upgrade my CPU / MOBO? (or anything else?) to be ok with everything else?

Thanks!

Jorda95

Solution
I think what we have here is an update - spiral.

Your graphics - card is broken. So what options do you have ?

1. Buy a new one. I agree to most of what the others have said. The GTX 560 may be "oversized" for your system, because other components will stall its speed. So if you buy a new one, go for a cheap model, maybe with a GT 440 chipset, if nVidia is your favorite. It would be my choice.
By doing so you conserve money and speed up your system all the same. But I wouldn't expect wonders concerning the amount of apeed gained.

2. Buy a new PC. Why ? Because if you change all the parts that would have to be changed in order to make an upgrade reasonable, you end up with an all new PC in your old case, and all the components of...

carbonstyle72

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
To get a new graphics card such as the 560 would be a good idea for you, but, not to insult you or anything, but in general, I would have an upgrade of all of my components. your 4GB of ram is good, but your processor could do with an upgrade, something with maybe four cores, or even one of the new i3's that has been hyperthreaded. however, you would need to upgrade to a new mobo at the same time, which is possibly not in your budget, along with the processor. as to your idea of upgrading to win. 7, I wouldn't for the moment. XP is probably for the best, and spend the extra money on components. I'm not too familiar with nvidia and intel, but a better alternative to a 560 could be somthing like a 5770 (AMD) which is what alienware and apple still put in some of their machines, and then spend the rest on a processor and mobo upgrade. hope this helps.

jorda95

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Im not insulted at all! Its all good info to be honest. Thank you for the thoughts. But because my video card is broken, I definetly need a new one. Also, I would like to stay with Nvidia, not a big fan of AMD/ATI.

Also, windows 7 will be free for me, a friend of mine works at Microsoft and he has a few extra copies :)

jorda95

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011

Do you have an idea for a new mobo/ cpu that would fit well with my setup?

trotzdem

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
I think what we have here is an update - spiral.

Your graphics - card is broken. So what options do you have ?

1. Buy a new one. I agree to most of what the others have said. The GTX 560 may be "oversized" for your system, because other components will stall its speed. So if you buy a new one, go for a cheap model, maybe with a GT 440 chipset, if nVidia is your favorite. It would be my choice.
By doing so you conserve money and speed up your system all the same. But I wouldn't expect wonders concerning the amount of apeed gained.

2. Buy a new PC. Why ? Because if you change all the parts that would have to be changed in order to make an upgrade reasonable, you end up with an all new PC in your old case, and all the components of your old PC that were built in it before.

I've been there.

1st You think: Ah, let's try a new CPU.
2nd you discover, that for that you need a new Mainboard.
3rd you realize that your old memory is either too slow or doesn't fit on you new mainboard at all. So you buy new memory.
4th you always wanted a new graphics card, and now that your old one did you the favor to break down so you have a reason to buy a new one, you will just do so.
5th you are probably told that prices for hdds are dropping, and you always wanted a new one.

And then you have the new PC in your old case. You can start with almost any of the numbers 1 to 3, you will always end up with a new PC sneaking up on you from behind. And you will have to put all those parts together yourself and the warranty won't be for the whole PC but only for the single components you bought for it and it very likely will be more expensive as if you had bought a new PC in the first place. That's what I call an update - spiral.

So - depending on your budget - I recommend buying a new PC or a cheap graphics - card for your old one. New PCs won't get slower as time passes by, and very likely they won't get more expensive either. Time is on your side.

I for my part will buy a new PC in the near future. It will contain an Intel i5 CPU on an GA-H67M-D2 mainboard, with 4 or 8 GB of RAM and - that will make this one a real rocket - a 120 GB SATA 600 solid state - disk. Have you ever switched on a Commodore C64 ? This PC will be ready to work in a second, and last time I saw a computer do that was on the C64. My current PC needs well above 5 minutes from pressing the power button till windows reacts to my input.

Ah, and my new PC will have Windows 7 on it. I installed it a few times already, and I like it very much.

Solution

jorda95

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Hey guys, thanks so much for all the advice.

If you wanted to know, trotzdem, I went exactly through those steps haha.

This is what i'm at as of NOW:

Operating System
Ms windows 7 professional 64 bit

CPU
INTEL CORE I5-2500K QUAD CORE 3.30GHZ 6MB CACHE LGA-1155

RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 (PC3 12800)

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel

Graphics
SyncMaster (1440x900@59Hz)
WILL BE BUYING GTX 560 TI

Hard Drives
313GB Western Digital WDC WD3200AAKS-00VYA0 (SATA)

Optical Drives
PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-212D

Power Supply
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TXV2 750W ATX 12V SINGLE RAIL 24PIN ATX 80PLUS BRONZE

Case
Cooler Master HAF-X (with 1 additional top fan and 1 additional air duct)

Do you think there is bottlenecking with some parts?

Thanks,

Jorda95

trotzdem

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
I like the machine intended very much. One thing I would consider is one of that fancy SSDs with SATA 600 capability as system - drive, because that will boost your system to tremendous speeds. You won't believe it until you've seen it. Go to a shop and watch a PC with such a drive boot, you will be amazed.

For the question of a new monitor: if you are happy with the resolution, I'd stick to the one you own. A monitor can be easily replaced when you have new budget free for a bigger screen.

Why do I think that ? As far as I know, the most games can be configured to match the resolution of your monitor. So less resolution means less workload for your CPU und graphics card, but also less details on the screen.

Problems concerning the quality I would expect if you try to watch blueray - movies in HD quality (1080p) on you monitor. Then in fact the CPU or the graphics card has to downsize resolution so that you can see movie on your monitor.

On the other hand: your new PC will be a real racer, it could probably transcode a DVD into an DivX - movie at real time speed. So it won't have any difficulties downsizing a too big resolution.

If you want a new monitor: I helped myself to a used LG Flatron W2361V - monitor, which has a visible diagonal of 23" at an aspect ratio of 16:9. The resolution is 1920x1080, so you can call it full HD. It cost me 70 € used, so I'd expect to be available at around 100 $ in the USA.

Apart from that, you should actually check out if you TV - set (if it is a flatscreen of any kind) has Full HD. Most sets have monitor connectors, so you could your PC directly to the TV - set. The picture is tremendous. And remarkably bigger than that of any monitor you'd have to buy first.

Lower resolution puts more of the workload on the CPU not less.

trotzdem

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
The reason why I believe the workload of the CPU is either equal or less when the resolution is lower is, that on slow machines sophisticated games seem to run faster when the resolution is set lower.

You seem to know more about the technical background than me, and if it is not too long to explain I'd like to learn what causes the workload to get higher when the resolution get's lower.

Even when it's a little off topic, I am curious.

trotzdem

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
@jorda95:

In case you didn't buy your PC already, here is something I just learned and that you should consider:

The i5 2500k - processor has its own graphics hardware already on it. In fact, it has the most advanced graphics hardware Intel offers (Intel 3000 HD graphics).

I read somewhere that this can compete with the nVidia GTX 580 chipset. If that is true, which I will find out soon, you can save lots of money through not buying a graphics card at all, and when you find the Intel 3000 HDs capabilities insufficient, you can still buy a graphics card of your choice.

@mousemonkey: I think I figured it out. When the graphics adapter is slower than the CPU, the CPU has to wait for it, which reduces its workload as well as the framerate. By reducing the resolution one increases the framerate, and more fps should mean a higher workload for the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.