New board required for Phenom II X4 945 - Please advise

beansontoast

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some buying advice on the way forward for my Phenom X4 945 CPU.

My old(ish) GA-880GM-USB3 has developed a fault and I need to replace it.

Ideally, I want to use a board that lets me keep my CPU as I don't really want to splash a small fortune on a new CPU as well. I'm thinking that of I get a board that takes my X4 945 as well as much newer models I can swap the CPU when I have the need and the cash.

The trouble is, I've been relying on the integrated graphics on the 880GM-USB3 and I see that the latest AM3 compatible boards don't have integrated graphics.

The two options I need advise on are therefore -

1) Best 990 board + budget graphics card.
2) Best pre-990 board with integrated.

I'm not (yet) a gamer, so graphics have not been high on the list of my priorities.
I am more interested in general use and the running of a few vm's.
The extra features and bandwidth of the 990 boards looks appealing so I'm siding with that, but I need help with a graphics card.

Alternatively, if there is a pre-990 board which offers 6Gbps and integreated graphics then that could also be a great option.

Help appreciated.

beansontoast

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Thanks mate,

Currently weighing up whether to take the plunge for a 990 board and budget graphics, or go for the above board.

Would be nice to have the 4 x 8GB RAm options of the 990's, but would also be nice to save a wedge by buying the M5A88.

The more I look, the more headaches I get. Where's that pile of spare cash when I need it .....