Sign in with
Your question

GigabyteMotherboard 1 Long Beep, 2 Short Beeps

Last response: in Motherboards
September 8, 2012 10:47:26 AM

Hi,

I have been having problems with my 4 year old pc for a few months now. It started with it blue screening then progressed to it doing 1 beep and 2 long beeps. I replaced the video card which seemed to fix the problem but last week it started blue screening again and then stopped turning on altogeather.

I replaced the power unit which meant it was starting up again but the one long beep and two long beeps has returned. The video card is barely two months old so i can't see it being that also the fan on it is running and i have gone through the ram cards one by one which didn't seem to have any answers either.

Also nothing it coming up on the monitor

Would the motherboard have gone? As thats the only thing i can think of it being now :( 

Specs

Intel Q6600 Quad Core
Scythe Katana Heatsink
Gigabyte P35 DS3L Motherboard
4 x 1Gb Kingston PC6400 Ram
750gb sata hardrive
Gforce GT430 Video Card
Be Quite 530w PurePower
a c 540 U Graphics card
a c 216 V Motherboard
September 8, 2012 5:12:56 PM

Has both of the power supply units been a be quiet! model?

What is the be quiet! model number specifically? Is it the Pure Power series L7 or L8 530W?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 8, 2012 5:26:24 PM

Have you checked through your motherboard's manual to see if it details what that particular string of beeps means (also, which is it: 1 long 2 short, or 1 short 2 long?)? I would've normally checked for you, but Gigabyte's servers are not playing nicely with this public internet connection (I'd say give it another 10 minutes before I'll be able to view it). According to page 77 of the manual (here), 1 long 2 short is a monitor or graphics card error. Might it be possible that there's something wrong with the PCIe slot you're using? The GT430 is PCIe 2.0 so there shouldn't be any compatibility errors (none that should prevent post, at least).
m
l
Related resources
a c 540 U Graphics card
a c 216 V Motherboard
September 8, 2012 5:34:08 PM

The OP is correct.

From the GA-P35-DS3L/GA-P35-S3L User's Manual

The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify possible computer problems.
(For reference only.)
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error
m
l
a c 540 U Graphics card
a c 216 V Motherboard
September 8, 2012 6:03:30 PM

Since the problem develops over a span of time I would suspect some component is causing the graphics card to fail.

I asked about the specific power supply model because the OEM of certain models have a poor power supply design reputation. Some of their products will run out of spec (i.e. high electrical noise and ripple) and will damage other components over time.
m
l
September 9, 2012 8:42:36 AM

yeah sorryry it is one long beep and two short ones i did check that out which is why i changed the graphics card first of all :) 

The original power unit was a Antec 500W EA-500 the new ones model number is L8 which i fited 3 days ago.

Just something else i tried yesterday i took the CPU out which seemed to stop the beeping not sure if that means thats the problem as im not really a expert in the hardware side of things :pt1cable: 

m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 9, 2012 5:37:36 PM

Avs_10 said:
yeah sorryry it is one long beep and two short ones i did check that out which is why i changed the graphics card first of all :) 

Right on. I'd tell you to move the video card to a different PCIe slot, but you've got only one. Is there another computer you're able to test the new video card in?

It is possible the power supply is causing the video card to fault; while the EA-500 is a good unit, I'm not sure how well it ages, and the L8 is a decent power supply though it's got poor voltage regulation.
m
l
!