Whilst copying data and watching movies the movie jitters

trueper

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Hello,

I have seen on 2 pc's now that when i copy data and try watch a movie at the same time, the movie is jittery and sometime pauses for a few seconds.
The machine specs are as follows:
Machine 1:
Core I5 750
Asus High end Mobo
5 Gig 1333Mhz Ram
6gb/s drives
High end video cards (crossfire)

Machine 2:
Core I7 Top of the range
Asus High end Mobo
8 Gig 2000Mhz memory
6gb/s drives
High end Video cards (gt 580 x2) SLI

The copying is taken place between 2x Internal 6gb/s drives.

Example: we copied approximatly 130 gig data and started a movie in VLC, the movies battled to open and when it finally did it was jittering.

Both machine run windows 7 Pro 64bit.

There was no strain on the CPU's during this process! What is the problem?

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Try to use a media player besides VLC player, because when I have used it, I have sometimes noticed that it causes a lot of random read operations. Try wmp or MPC home cinema.

Any hard drive should be able to deliver a full HD, a couple MB/s video file to the computer no problem, even if the file is crazy fragmented and your copying files at the same time..Maybe a few jitters but should be pretty smooth. So it's an issue of the i/o drivers not giving the right priorities and maybe your media player is the culprit.

trueper

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Drive is SATA not SAS sorry for the missprint
I'll give it a bash with he Media player, although I do like the VLC app and it's features (prefered app for movies). I'll also have a look into the I/O drivers and see if there's some update on Asus site. Thanks for the info.