Does overclocking significantly reduce the life span of a CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
^ This. Keeping the core voltage as well as the stability and temperature in check means you can have the CPU overclocked for years without issue. Starting to push your luck though, usually in core voltages, can easily result in a fried CPU, soon. General rule with the newer CPU's is to keep core voltage below 1.4V at all times, and to ensure the temps doesn't exceed 80'C.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
^ This. Keeping the core voltage as well as the stability and temperature in check means you can have the CPU overclocked for years without issue. Starting to push your luck though, usually in core voltages, can easily result in a fried CPU, soon. General rule with the newer CPU's is to keep core voltage below 1.4V at all times, and to ensure the temps doesn't exceed 80'C.

Solution

mattyg_nz

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
It's like drinking alcohol. Don't push it too hard or do something silly and you shouldn't get into trouble :D
On more meaningful note: if you don't know what your doing, don't do it.
I applaud you for not being the fool who asks "I pushed my Vcore up and now my computer won't boot at all".
Read up on what other OC'ers do and understand the actions and effects around OC'ing. Good start though!

redness

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009

I've been researching on OC'ing for months now and holding back my temptation to start doing so until I get my hyper 212+ and a new video card to compliment the performance.

Besides, isn't OC'ing simply messing with the Vcore and clock speed until you get a stable setting?

The only problem I have right now is that my BIOS isn't giving me an option to change my Vcore.

Up to what SAFE clock speed do you think I could get with 1.3V on the 2600k?

Status
Not open for further replies.