How much ram is sufficient for running these games on Windows 7-64-Bit

Last response: in Memory
September 8, 2012 12:23:05 PM

Hello , :hello: 

My specs are :-

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2180 @ 2.0GHz

1GB RAM DDR2 PC-2/5300 667MHz

Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD6670 1GB DDR3

Nvidia NF-7050 Motherboard - Supports 4GB RAM Max. DDR2 667MHz - Total Slots - 2 , Empty Slot-1

I want to run latest games like Max Payne 3 , Battlefield 3 , CoD MW3 , Skyrim , Crysis , Assassins creed : All of 'em , Hitman 5 : Absolution Etc., on Windows 7 64 bit .

What would be the better option for ram to upgrade - get 1gb more ram , Total 2GB and run dual channel or get 2gb ram stick , total 3GB and run single channel?? i searched on many places , though i haven't got any satisfactory answers!! these are my options for my upgrade---

1GB RAM--

www.flipkart.com/evm-ddr2-1-gb-pc-ram-evmp1g667u68d-evm...

2GB RAM--

www.flipkart.com/transcend-ddr2-2-gb-pc-ram-jm667qlu-2g...

Also , I don't want any comments that my cpu is low,, 'cause i already know.. and i saw many people on youtube running these games with the same cpu with mid high settings with no overclocking!! thanks .. please reply soon!!

P.S. I could only upgrade till 3gb max. my budget's not sufficient for buying 2x2GB sticks!!
September 9, 2012 4:10:20 AM

I would've but i'm not getting any further answers anymore on that thread!! Could you explain in a bit detail? It'd be much appreciated!
m
l
Related resources
a c 80 } Memory
September 9, 2012 2:14:23 PM

Quote:
Could you explain in a bit detail?
What needs to be explained? The 4GB that may never be fully available? It's a moot point unless you can afford a 2 x 2GB kit. What motherboard do you have? I'll double-check if it really supports 4GB when using Windows 7 64 bit. Motherboards that support a maximum of 8GB are fine.
m
l
September 9, 2012 3:05:38 PM

My mobo is nvidia nf-7050 with onboard graphics which suck a lot... ! This mobo specs is a bit difficult to find.. I somehow searched for it and got it supports 4gb max. Of ddr2 667mhz ... I searched on google about this but i didn't found anything useful.. Though i saw some people running windows 7 x64 on 3gb ram ddr2 with running latest games..! Though idk whether 2gb + 1gb or 3x1gb or 2x1gb + 2x512mb?? I m a lot confused... ! Please help!! Does mobo have to do something with OS? My cpu is 64 bit.. I already searched!! Would 2gb+1gb be fine for running latest games on windows 7 x64?

Sorry for long reply!!
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
September 9, 2012 3:35:40 PM

Use CPU-Z to find out what motherboard you have.

3GB should be enough memory; I wouldn't recommend 4GB unless you can afford it (you previously wrote that you don't) and the motherboard can actually make it all available. You definitely can't install more than 2 modules if the motherboard only has 2 slots. Therefore you can't install 3x1gb or 2x1gb + 2x512mb.

I presume that you don't care about onboard graphics if a Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD6670 1GB DDR3 is installed.

Unless you build a powerful enough system, there always will be a bottleneck somewhere.
m
l
September 9, 2012 5:40:27 PM

So . Should i go with buying 2gb stick stated above , total 3gb ( 2gb + 1gb ) and install windows 7 x64 for running latest games with Dx 11 and mid -high graphics?
m
l
September 9, 2012 5:56:12 PM

And thnx for quick reply!! :D 
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
September 9, 2012 7:28:17 PM

Yes because you should not install Windows 7 x64 on a system with less than 3GB of memory. What motherboard do you have? If it fully supports 4GB, then it would make sense to buy a 2 x 2GB kit and sell the 1GB module. Memory would then run in dual channel mode.
m
l
Anonymous
a b } Memory
September 9, 2012 8:53:52 PM

u just cannot plug in another ram into ur slot even if technical specification meets. U may end up with in compatibility issue. Best thing is to take out ur ram , go to market with it and try to buy similar ram.
Maximum ram support also depends on the board manufacturers. About ur chipset type here is original nvidia link.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/mobo_gpu_features_benefits...

Most of the motherboard of that generation support 64 bit OS. Yours should fully support 4 gb ram.
For 64 bit system 4 gb is bare minimum.
Suggestion is buy pair of 2X2 ddr 2 ram . Though ur budget is think over it. price of ram will be cheaper in general store then flipkart. Flikark is a den of thieves .

In this site (link below) check the price of gskill ddr2 ram . This one is a quality product. The one you is mentioned (Transcend DDR2 2) just another value ram . One is giving u a quality product for the same price. In computer market price will be lower.

http://ratetorate.in/categories/Memory/Desktop-Memory
m
l
September 10, 2012 8:49:23 AM

Quote:
u just cannot plug in another ram into ur slot even if technical specification meets. U may end up with in compatibility issue. Best thing is to take out ur ram , go to market with it and try to buy similar ram.
Maximum ram support also depends on the board manufacturers. About ur chipset type here is original nvidia link.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/mobo_gpu_features_benefits...

Most of the motherboard of that generation support 64 bit OS. Yours should fully support 4 gb ram.
For 64 bit system 4 gb is bare minimum.
Suggestion is buy pair of 2X2 ddr 2 ram . Though ur budget is think over it. price of ram will be cheaper in general store then flipkart. Flikark is a den of thieves .

In this site (link below) check the price of gskill ddr2 ram . This one is a quality product. The one you is mentioned (Transcend DDR2 2) just another value ram . One is giving u a quality product for the same price. In computer market price will be lower.

http://ratetorate.in/categories/Memory/Desktop-Memory

sorry but the link you gave me is having mostly ddr3 rams and there is no rams available compatible with my mobo - which supports 667mhz PC-2/5300 only !!
However , thnx for the reply!!
m
l
September 10, 2012 8:49:51 AM

GhislainG said:
Yes because you should not install Windows 7 x64 on a system with less than 3GB of memory. What motherboard do you have? If it fully supports 4GB, then it would make sense to buy a 2 x 2GB kit and sell the 1GB module. Memory would then run in dual channel mode.

2x2gb kit of ddr2 ram in india is rarely available !! should i buy two same rams , of stated above??
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
September 10, 2012 11:32:20 AM

Dishant said:
2x2gb kit of ddr2 ram in india is rarely available !! should i buy two same rams , of stated above??

Yes.
m
l
September 10, 2012 12:42:55 PM

but would it be okay with just 3gb as well? as stated above!!
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
September 10, 2012 6:44:11 PM

As I said before, 4GB would be better, but I can't verify if your motherboard makes all 4GB available if you don't provide the motherboard manufacturer and model (CPU-Z, Mainboard tab). Windows 7 x64 requires a bit more memory than the x86 version, but you haven't explained why you want to install that version and limit the system memory to 3GB.
m
l
September 12, 2012 1:16:29 PM

Sorry for the late reply..! I want to run the x64 version because i saw that latest games run with good performance on it and as my cpu is also 64 bit, and i heard that installing x64 version will give give performance boost rather than x86 version..! And As i told you before, my budget's till 2gb ram only.. :(  .. Btw , instead of x64 .. What would be the performance with windows ultimate x86 version with my expected upgrade of the games stated above? Please reply soon!!
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
September 12, 2012 2:17:02 PM

Performance will be very close; you'd need to run benchmarks to detect the performance difference. Too bad you can't upgrade to 4GB of memory. Install the x64 version and upgrade your system when you can afford it.
m
l
September 12, 2012 4:12:10 PM

so it means that i should go with Windows 7 Ultimate x86 version with total 3gb ram?? and i should install x64 only after upgrading , right?
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
September 12, 2012 5:51:23 PM

You can't upgrade from x86 to x64. If yopu plan on upgrading your system to 4GB or more, than install x64.
m
l
September 13, 2012 1:39:21 PM

So , for now , 3gb ram ddr2 667mhz , win 7 ultimate x86 , intel pentium dual core e2180 2.0ghz and ati hd6670 1gb ddr3 should to fine to run the games stated above..? And would my pc run assassins creed 3 as well with these specs?
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
September 13, 2012 5:57:59 PM

It meets the minimum requirements for all games including assassins creed 3: http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1314&ga... You can't expect a great experience as the FPS will just be acceptable on low settings. Based on your original post, you definitely know that it isn't a gaming system.
m
l
September 15, 2012 7:13:24 PM

Yeah.. I know.. :( 
btw.. After upgrading my ram... What should be the 1st thing which should be upgraded in my pc? Cpu , ram , mobo or gpu?
m
l
September 15, 2012 8:34:54 PM

I dont think your CPU will be able to cope with those games. I used to have a Core 2 Duo e4500 2.3Ghz and an HD6870 with 3gb of RAM and games wouldnt run very well :/  Upgrade your CPU, motherboard and ram and you should be fine for a while
m
l
September 16, 2012 8:31:29 AM

iKryptic said:
I used to have a Core 2 Duo e4500 2.3Ghz and an HD6870 with 3gb of RAM and games wouldnt run very well :/  Upgrade your CPU, motherboard and ram and you should be fine for a while

thnx for your reply!! btw .. can you tell me the performance you got with any latest game(s) you played on your pc..? it'd be much appreciated!!
m
l
September 18, 2012 6:01:05 PM

GhislainG said:
It meets the minimum requirements for all games including assassins creed 3: http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1314&ga... You can't expect a great experience as the FPS will just be acceptable on low settings. Based on your original post, you definitely know that it isn't a gaming system.

thnx... So i should go for 3gb , ok? On windows 7 x86?

And btw , will this cpu be supported by my mobo and rest of the specs? I have a zebronics 450w psu!! Please reply soon!!
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
September 18, 2012 7:09:40 PM

The call is yours. Will you upgrade your hardware in the near future? If so, then use x64; otherwise use x86 if you want the maximum RAM available for 3GB. I would install 4GB, but you can't figure out what motherboard you have.

In your first post, you wrote "Intel Pentium Dual Core E2180 @ 2.0GHz". Therefore you know that this one is compatible with your motherbaord since it's currently installed. If you are referring to a different CPU, then which one and what motherboard?
m
l
September 18, 2012 9:02:18 PM

And if it does not then which cpu will be supported by my mobo if i have to run cpu dependent games like gta iv on mid-high settings?
m
l
September 18, 2012 9:05:35 PM

And i heard that 3gb is max. For 32bit os(win xp or 7) and anymore of ram will not be recognized by them , is that so?
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
September 18, 2012 11:33:02 PM

OK. I'll try to be as clear as possible.

1. If your current CPU is an Intel Pentium Dual Core E2180, then your motherboard doesn't support AMD processors. Will you buy a new AMD compatible motherboard?

2. Nobody can tell you which CPUs are supported by your motherboard if you won't use CPU-Z and tell us what motherboard you have.

3. The maximum for Windows 32-bit is approximately 3.25GB, but that's a moot point if you'll install 3GB.

4. Finally, do you already own the system or are you trying to build one from the parts that you listed in your first post? I'm asking because today you wrote "And i have a 450w psu!! I know its out of stock..". I'm really confused...
m
l
September 19, 2012 5:56:27 AM

Sorry for getting you confused... I m having the current pc which specs is in first post including 450w psu and nvidia nf-7050... I'd be adding 2gb ram and win 7 32bit ... And i was just asking that would that amd cpu (which is out of stock on the given link) support my mobo or not? And i have cpu-z but in motherboard tab of cpu-z , it shows 'to be filled by o.e.m' in both system manufacturer and system model and even in the dxdiag tool.. I m telling the model of mobo from its original box... And is it necessary to have a amd mobo for amd cpu?
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
September 19, 2012 11:39:31 AM

Quote:
I'd be adding 2gb ram and win 7 32bit ...
If you won't be upgrading in the near future, then that's fine.
Quote:
And i was just asking that would that amd cpu (which is out of stock on the given link) support my mobo or not?
Definitely not.
Quote:
And i have cpu-z but in motherboard tab of cpu-z , it shows 'to be filled by o.e.m' in both system manufacturer and system model and even in the dxdiag tool.. I m telling the model of mobo from its original box...
No part number or manufacturer name on the box? It's impossible to tell you what Intel CPUs are supported by that motherboard. You'll have to contact the place you bought it from and ask them. All I know so far is that it's a socket 775 motherboard with an Nvidia NF-7050 chipset.
Quote:
And is it necessary to have a amd mobo for amd cpu?
Yes. The sockets and chipsets are different.
m
l
September 19, 2012 6:16:40 PM

Wow.. Great and detailed answer... I guess i'd have to completely upgrade my pc if i plan to upgrade even the cpu... For now.. 3gb and windows 7 x86 should be fine for me.. Btw.. Would crysis 3 and gta 5 will run on my pc7 and what about gta iv ? I heard that it requires a quad core for better performance even in mid settings.. Is that so?
m
l
September 19, 2012 6:19:14 PM

And is there any difference with graphics performance in directx 9 and directx 10 and directx 11?
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
September 19, 2012 7:43:50 PM

Dishant said:
Wow.. Great and detailed answer... I guess i'd have to completely upgrade my pc if i plan to upgrade even the cpu... For now.. 3gb and windows 7 x86 should be fine for me.. Btw.. Would crysis 3 and gta 5 will run on my pc7 and what about gta iv ? I heard that it requires a quad core for better performance even in mid settings.. Is that so?

Your PC meets the minimum requirements (low/medium resolution and settings). The Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD6670 is good enough, but your CPU is a bit weak. You obviously know that, but upgrading it might not be worth it unless you get a good deal on a used quad. First thing is to find out what motherboard you have by contacting the reseller. Then check what CPUs are compatible with it and what BIOS revision is required. You can't rely on another motherboard's CPU list and presume that it automatically applies to yours.

Why are you asking about DirectX 9 and 10? Windows 7 supports DirectX 11 which is better.
m
l
September 19, 2012 8:03:51 PM

Cause i'll first buy max payne 3 after upgrading my ram.. But i'll buy windows 7 a bit later cause i cant wait any more to play this game... And win xp supports max. Directx 9 .. What would be the performance difference b/w these directx(s)?
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
September 19, 2012 10:10:13 PM

Performance may be similar, but DX11 provides better quality. See http://www.techspot.com/review/537-max-payne-3-performa... Page 6 shows the diifference between DX 9, DX 10, DX 10.1 and DX11. Their tests were performed using a far more powerful PC than yours, but using a lower resolution than 1680 x 1050 should provide adequate performance. On page 7, they show that an AMD Phenom II X2 560 is not powerful enough at higher resolutions, but it's significantly more powerful than your E2180.
m
l
September 20, 2012 5:18:32 AM

Does this game needs any patches before playing or to play without any bugs and glitches??
m
l
September 20, 2012 3:35:38 PM

I see.. I can't overclock... Wtf.. >.<
my mobo's no good for overclocking... ***..! What should i do now?
m
l
Anonymous
a b } Memory
September 20, 2012 5:35:50 PM

get a new socket 775 motherboard with ddr3 ram support. these r pretty cheap. So r ddr3 rams rate. Intel boards will support 4 gb ram while like those of asus etc will support 8 gb.
m
l
September 20, 2012 6:49:59 PM

What would be the performance of max payne 3 on my specs with no overclocked cpu?
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
September 20, 2012 8:04:13 PM

I have no clue and I don't even know what resolution you'll be playing at. Since you can't afford to upgrade your system, you'll have no other option than lower the resolution until the FPS is acceptable. If you carefully read the Techspot review, then you sort of know what CPU and GPU you need to meet your performance expectations.
m
l
September 21, 2012 7:03:49 AM

i want to play it atleast 1280x720 resolution!! what do you think??
m
l
September 21, 2012 7:22:55 AM

GhislainG said:
Why didn't you visit the site? There's a lot of valuable info like minimum tested PC configuration, patches, etc.

http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne3/pc
http://support.rockstargames.com/forums/20695336-max-pa...

LOWEST TESTED SPECS
Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Intel Dual Core 2.4 GHZ or AMD Dual Core 2.6 GHZ, or better
2GB System RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce 8600 GT 512MB RAM
or AMD Radeon™ HD 3400 512MB RAM

i'm confused.. which ram should be better?? im currently running a 1gb ram ddr2 pc2-5300 667mhz on windows xp sp3 and as i told.. i wan to run max payne 3 on windows 7 .. so 2gb (2x1gb) dual channel should be better or 3gb (2gb +1gb) should be better??? some are sying 2gb dual channel is better... some are saying more ram , much better!! i m confused!! please reply soon!!
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
September 21, 2012 2:48:54 PM

If you want the maximum performance, buy a 2 x 2GB kit and sell the 1GB module. Then memory will run in dual channel mode. Even better, if your motherboard really supports 4GB and you install Windows 7 x64, you'll have 4GB available for the OS and applications. 2GB just isn't enough for Windows 7.
m
l
September 21, 2012 2:53:40 PM

then i'd be fine with 3gb windows 7 x86!!
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
September 21, 2012 3:35:49 PM

Have fun!
m
l
September 21, 2012 4:24:54 PM

Will try to do so!! Thnx for all of your help!!
m
l
!