Solved

Worth upgrading motherboard's BIOS?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • BIOS
Last response: in Motherboards
September 8, 2012 2:16:03 PM

Hey there.

I am wondering if there is any reason to update my BIOS? I have no problems with my computer at all, but would I get improved performance/stability if I upgrade my BIOS?

I am using the ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard. The rest of my specs should be listed in my signature. It is currently running BIOS version 0704, according CPU-Z.

ASUS' support site lists several available BIOS updates for my motherboard. I see many of the updates lists "improved stability" as one of the changes.

As I said, my system is not unstable, but I am still wondering if it is worth updating the BIOS? Are there any negative/positive sides of doing so?

More about : worth upgrading motherboard bios

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
September 8, 2012 2:22:18 PM

nafoni said:
Hey there.

I am wondering if there is any reason to update my BIOS? I have no problems with my computer at all, but would I get improved performance/stability if I upgrade my BIOS?

I am using the ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard. The rest of my specs should be listed in my signature. It is currently running BIOS version 0704, according CPU-Z.

ASUS' support site lists several available BIOS updates for my motherboard. I see many of the updates lists "improved stability" as one of the changes.

As I said, my system is not unstable, but I am still wondering if it is worth updating the BIOS? Are there any negative/positive sides of doing so?

Rule of thumb with BIOS updates is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Of course, if you want to fix it, by all means, update your BIOS, don't don't blame me if your "fix" breaks your computer :lol: 

Usually only need to update BIOS if there is a benefit, like upgrading to a new CPU that's not recognized in the old BIOS.
a b V Motherboard
September 8, 2012 2:23:59 PM

If your not having any issues at the moment, then I would not upgrade the bios. If you were re-installing the OS, this would be the time to do it. I don't recommend bios updates unless there are issues, or you are re-installing the OS.
m
l
Related resources
September 8, 2012 3:14:09 PM

Alright. Thanks for the answers.

I won't upgrade it then.
m
l
September 8, 2012 3:17:13 PM

Best answer selected by nafoni.
m
l
April 26, 2013 4:51:14 AM

Hmmm, I upgraded my BIOS BEFORE reading this thread.... well, it is still working so I guess I did not mess anything up.

m
l