Is this monitor good for my new build?

Chevaliersoftheseas

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236123

The monitor is on sale today and has a good enough contrast low ms and decent size at 25 inches for 229.99 no shipping, my question is could I do much better with anything else even if it means paying a bit more I'm willing to spend about a hundred more of my dollars on a monitor. Also how much of a difference does contrast ratio and size make in games? Should I get a 27 inch instead or would the difference be minimal?

My build is going to be a tri sli gtx 580 with the new asrock fatality mobo and 8gb of 8-8-8-20 1600mhz ram. With a 2600k overclocked to the 4.5-5 ghz range.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Just one thing....theres is absolutly no point what-so-ever in running TRI SLI 580's.....

On a single monitor a single 580 will max every game currently released with good FPS.

SLI 580's are overkill for every game let alone TRI SLI.

You better off getting SLI 580's and using the cash from not buying a 3rd card to buy 3 decent monitors.

Also - if the build is for gaming, you could drop that 2600k to an 2500k without losing any noticeable performance and save even more money...

Consider looking into a 3way-monitor set up with 3D or something?

Chevaliersoftheseas

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011

Ya I was thinking the same thing anyway, but do you think this monitor would be a good pick for 3 or should I get something bigger. I'll hold off on the 3rd card I just need to know if this monitor is worth it. I hear people saying 27inches is better for a single monitor is it true?

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
It really depends on personal prefrence. I use a 22" monitor as my main, with my 32" tv as a secondary. I dont like moving my head about too much and sitting about only 2 feet away from my screen, 22" is perfect.

22,24,27 are all popular choices. If your planning to run 3 monitors though, for gaming, i wouldnt recommend any bigger than 24 unless your sitting at least a couple of meters back.

Chevaliersoftheseas

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011

The thing I liked about this monitor was the balance it had between size, picture and price. Like the contrast is supposed to help the picture right?

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

60Hz is standard and so would be fine.

One concern i have is that theres no response time listed anywhere in the specification. TV's tend to have a higher 5/7ms response time than LCD Monitors, which usually have 2/5ms response time. The lower the response time, the better. Something like this is probably much better value, unless you actually want a TV http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236096