Win2K refresh fix screwed my monitor?

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have never had a problem with this utility before. But I just ran the "Nvidia Win2K refresh fix" on an older Samsung Syncmaster 550s monitor (yes, I made the registry backup). Now when I boot the machine (& I will be doing this physically soon), I can't load windows. I get as far as the initial BIOS post screen, then the monitor just starts going crazy. It starts screwing up <b>before</b> the Win2K "Press F8" screen during the boot process. I find that strange considering that screen is well before the Win2K boot GUI.

I tried:

> pressing F8 even though I couldn't see anything on monitor (just in case I was allowed into the debugging screen)
> switching video cards
> clearing the CMOS
> degaussing screen
> yelling obscenities

Suggestions?

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Jesus Christ man, that sucks. I don't have any helpful suggestions but I feel for ya.

Try different curse words, maybe you used the wrong ones.

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
> <font color=green>"I find that strange considering that screen is well before the Win2K boot GUI."</font color=green>

What about booting from the Win2000 CD and proceeding up to R (repair) option?

Any chance to check your monitor on another machine? Otherwise there's no reason to implement anything on the monitor unless you can see that it doesn't work with another computers as well.

Be careful with booting into Windows when wrong resolution and refresh rate settings: possible to damage the monitor

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by NickM on 12/04/01 05:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I tried booting from the Cd, but the monitor goes wacko after the pc posts. Funny thing, today it started working fine, & has been all day.
I think I was required to lose a predetermined amount of hair, before the monitor decided to work properly.

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.