Motherboard - need advice before purchase!

noztrozer

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Hello!

I am a moron to say the least. I recently bought the AMD fx 8150 bulldozer CPU for about 255 dollars.
But as I have discovered, I misunderstood my motherboard model (yeah, I'm that much of an idiot). It wouldn't boot to BIOS when installed, so I put my old CPU back in.

I think I already know the answer but really, REALLY want to be sure I don't mess up more before purchasing a new motherboard:

I own a gigabyte GA 770TA (funny that the company said it's a 870A when I bought it). I am thinking of buying a new, the Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 AM3/AM3+. It should be able to support the processor. BUT, before I do that, I wanted to ask the wonderful people here if there's any way possible to make my current motherboard work with the FX 8150?

My sincere thanks for your inputs!

In short no, 'most' of the inventory with pre-FX is sold-out, but that means zip if it doesn't boot. Don't feel alone the same problem persists with the e.g. Intel P67/Z68 with the new Ivy Bridge CPU.

If you actually go to a store where you can 'see' the MOBO, many MOBO Mfg's have a shipping BIOS version label on the box by the S/N label or a label underneath the MOBO itself.

If you own a pre-FX AMD CPU that is also supported by the e.g. UD3 then use that CPU to update the BIOS. Otherwise get a AMD Sempron 145 (140) for $40 or have the store (if possible) update the BIOS or RMA the new MOBO for a refurbished (that idea sucks) or pay a shop to update the BIOS which brings you back to the AMD Sempron 145 for $40.

I would get the new MOBO and have a 'surprise' and take your options (hopefully installing the OS) and go from there.

My preference are the ASUS 990FX models...e.g. ASUS M5A99FX PRO - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131851

Support was never a question, the question is the BIOS support and revisions. If the MOBO comes with pre 'F4' (e.g. F2) then it simple won't post. The solution, if needed and hopefully not, is a donor CPU to update the BIOS.

It's been a couple months since I've seen a AM3+ MOBO requiring a donor CPU to update/upgrade the BIOS to an 'FX' suitable version.

In contrast the GA-770TA-UD3 won't ever support the FX line, official support requires an AM3+ MOBO.

noztrozer

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Alright thanks. I thought I was getting the hang of PC building, but now I see how much I still have to learn. I love messing around with PC's and hardware though. Thanks for clearing it up! I ordered the 990XA mobo today so I should be getting it in a couple of days. Thanks for the help all!