Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Crossfire Lowers Performance?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 1, 2011 11:55:02 PM

Please read this whole post befor you post, some people feel free to suggest things I have already tried.. Thank you
I own two ATI 5770's and basicly in games like Call of Duty and Battle Field Bad Company 2, I'm getting better Frame rates with crossfire disabled then enabled. In fact with Crossfire enabled it just gets laggy.

My system Specs:
Processor:
AMD 2.6 Quad Core 9950 (Black edition running at 3.2 Ghz)
Memory:
OCZ High Performance DDR2 PC2 8500 (4 GB)
Hard Drive:
Western Digital 500GB
Video Card:
CrossFire XFX 5770s
Monitor:
19.5" Samsung
Sound Card:
Onboard.
Operating System:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Motherboard:
Biostar TA790GX 128M
Power Supply:
1000 Watt
And of course two 5770s.

I am running the newest drivers and have also tried drivers all the way back to 10.5- I am also running the newest profiles.
I do know Crossfire is indeed enabled as GPU-Z, CCC, and the in game watermark tells me so.

Also here are my Furmark scores with crossfire disabled, and enabled.
Furmark score with Crossfire disabled: 4308 points
Furmark score with Crossfire Enabled: 7845 points

So does anyone know why it just lowers the frame rates in game?
If you need anymore info please ask.

a b U Graphics card
July 1, 2011 11:58:09 PM

Try running each of the cards alone to see that they are working properly. I suspect your old Phenom I isn't fast enough but the HD 5770 isn't even that powerful so I'm not sure.
Score
July 1, 2011 11:59:07 PM

I have done that- They got about the same Furmark scores
Score
Related resources
July 2, 2011 6:50:41 AM

Anyone els?
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2011 7:54:30 AM

If anything, its going to be your Phenom, as suggested.
Score
July 2, 2011 8:17:41 AM

3.2 Ghz isn't enough for crossfire? What do i need?
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2011 1:28:36 PM

Even if the CPU is the bottleneck you should not get lower frame rates. Could the cards be overheating or causing the CPU to overheat in crossfire?
Score
July 2, 2011 3:35:49 PM

I do not have access to another motherboard, but I have tried a lot of different Bios settings. I even emailed Biostar and ask if I missed anything but there not much help.

The CPU is not overheating as I have a very nice cooler on it and watch the temps.
I have never seen the GPUs overheat they stay were they should and if the temps rise so does the fan speed. I run all the fans at 100% and see if that does anything..
Score
July 2, 2011 4:19:26 PM

Still nothing, maybe Blackops is not the game to test this with as it has problems across the board.

When I get home from work i'll test again with BFBC2, I tried something new with the MOBO.

We shall see (thanks for all that have tried to help btw)
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
July 2, 2011 4:58:06 PM

Blackops has popped up a lot in these "crossfire isn't working" type posts. I'd suggest trying other games. As you already saw, your furmark scores improved.
Score
July 4, 2011 2:17:37 AM

I guess this Crossfire is only good for benchmarking and program scores.. Really not helping were i'd like it lmao.

Guess ill have to get a faster CPU one day. Anyone know of a motherboard that supports DDR2 and the newer CPUS? AM3, never went intel.
My motherboard has about all its going to get on it.
Score
a c 214 U Graphics card
July 4, 2011 2:22:38 AM

Is your CPU a Phenom or a Phenom ii?

If you have a first gen Phenom,which makes me think you do because of the DDR2 RAM,then it's a classic CPU bottleneck.BFBC2 is very CPU demanding so i'm not sure how you can even play with the first gen Phenom.

Their's no reason to keep the DDR2 RAM.You will not find a motherboard that still use's DDR2.I would suggest saving up.

EDIT:After doing a bit of research I think i've found your mobo.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/content.php?S_ID=37...

If that is indeed your mobo then you won't have to spend as much as you thought.That mobo is capable of running Phenom ii's so just upgrade to a new processor and you should be fine.
Score
July 4, 2011 2:27:21 AM

Processor:
AMD 2.6 Quad Core 9950 (Black edition running at 3.2 Ghz)
Not a Phenom II, but the motherboard does support a few:
http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/cpu_support.php...

I can play BFBC2 maxed out with 2xAA at 60+ FPS just fine... I find blackops waaay more CPU demanding, most GPUS barley get used above 50% in that game.

Edit: Just posted this and saw you edited... Like I said it does support a few Phenom II's, but the speed isnt all that faster- In fact im running faster OCd.
Whats the big diff?
Score
July 4, 2011 2:32:00 AM

The newer Phenom ii out will not work with the mobo as they require DDR3, i talked to to there tec support and can't remember exactly why that is.

The few Phenoms ii that will work don't seem all the different, plus I cant find them anywhere.

Score
July 4, 2011 2:33:39 AM

Quote:
Black Ops is not more CPu demanding, just a worse Console port,
What I don't get is how would CPU bottleneck give u negative crossfire scaling, the cards should be fine, motherboard is not the issue since synthetics show almost 2x higher score.
Updated ur Bc2 ?

And being just a shitty console port you need a better CPU to get the thing going.. Been talked about several hundred times I suppose...
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
July 4, 2011 2:33:40 AM

Dokioto said:
I guess this Crossfire is only good for benchmarking and program scores.. Really not helping were i'd like it lmao.

Guess ill have to get a faster CPU one day. Anyone know of a motherboard that supports DDR2 and the newer CPUS? AM3, never went intel.
My motherboard has about all its going to get on it.

Crossfire works with most games very well. It just seems I've seen a lot of other people with problems when playing Black ops. However, from what I've seen, black ops is not exactly demanding and you probably don't even need it for that game. You should have maxed out FPS (60 for most LCD monitors).
Score
July 4, 2011 2:36:07 AM

bystander said:
Crossfire works with most games very well. It just seems I've seen a lot of other people with problems when playing Black ops. However, from what I've seen, black ops is not exactly demanding and you probably don't even need it for that game. You should have maxed out FPS (60 for most LCD monitors).

I'm sick of jumping from 45FPS to 90FPS.. So you may think i should have maxed FPS, but I don't.
And this is running the game maxed out.. If i turn every setting down, its the same thing.
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
July 4, 2011 2:39:28 AM

What refresh rate is your monitor? If it's 60hz, turn on V-sync, and then it'll go between 45 and 60 (and your 90 FPS is partially wasted because your monitor is limited unless you have a high refresh monitor).

Edit: if you get the same type of FPS with lowered graphics, that would suggest a bottleneck on the CPU.
Score
July 4, 2011 2:42:17 AM

bystander said:
What refresh rate is your monitor? If it's 60hz, turn on V-sync, and then it'll go between 45 and 60 (and your 90 FPS is partially wasted because your monitor is limited unless you have a high refresh monitor).

Yes i know this... And your wrong.
I personally hate v-sync for various reasons, but in blackops it kills my frame rates even more.
Score

Best solution

a c 171 U Graphics card
July 4, 2011 2:43:04 AM

"And this is running the game maxed out.. If i turn every setting down, its the same thing. " if turning details up or down has no effect on performance then you have a cpu bottleneck.
a c 216 U Graphics card
July 4, 2011 2:44:20 AM

What am I wrong about? Do you have a high refresh rate on your monitor?

Anyways, if you are having the same FPS with lowered graphics settings, that would usually indicate it's your CPU holding back FPS.
Score
July 4, 2011 2:44:29 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
"And this is running the game maxed out.. If i turn every setting down, its the same thing. " if turning details up or down has no effect on performance then you have a cpu bottleneck.

Thank you, looks like ill need a new CPU, which means a new motherboard, fallowed by that DDR3.

Score
July 4, 2011 2:46:25 AM

bystander said:
What am I wrong about? Do you have a high refresh rate on your monitor?

Anyways, if you are having the same FPS with lowered graphics settings, that would usually indicate it's your CPU holding back FPS.

My fps in blackops would run about 20-50, 60 if im lucky.
Its not like running all the way to 90 is killing anything, and i could always just set the frame limiter lower.

I have never had luck with vs.
Score
July 4, 2011 2:48:29 AM

Best answer selected by Dokioto.
Score
a c 214 U Graphics card
July 4, 2011 3:06:31 AM

You don't need DDR3 RAM for the Phenom ii's.I know of a handful of people that were in the same postion as you,they had a multiplatform mobo and DDR2 RAM and upgraded to a Phenom ii and everything works just fine.

Although their speeds are close to yours it's the architecture that matters most.Thats the difference and which is why a Phenom ii is better.Also if you get the 955 i'm sure you can easily hit 4ghz with a good cooler.But i'm sure if you get a new processor you won't even have to O.C. and you will see a improvement right away.
Score
July 4, 2011 6:46:02 AM

SO your telling me the CPUs on there list isn't all of them? When i emailed them about it the told me that the 955 and so on would not work for something related to the DDR3 (they got in depth but i dont remember lol)
Score
a c 214 U Graphics card
July 4, 2011 8:09:43 AM

Well they must be wrong.Honestly I've dealt with tech support in the past and they almost seem as if they have no training or knownledge of computers at all let alone what you are talking about in particular.

Companies don't tend to update older products because thats not where the money is.If you look at the BIOS the last time they updated their page was back in November and before that was 2009.

Here's a review on the memory and the 955.It clearly states that the 955 will work with DDR2 memory.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2754/2

I also looked on Biostars website for your mobo and they list a C3 BIOS upgrade.That is probably for the Phenom ii processors so you will need to get it.
Score
July 4, 2011 8:25:09 AM

Dokioto said:
Thank you, looks like ill need a new CPU, which means a new motherboard, fallowed by that DDR3.

why would you buy a new motherboard while you can use your current ram for Phenom II's?
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 4, 2011 2:52:26 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!