Help With amd Build.

Approximate Purchase Date: Whenever

Budget Range: $600-$900 CAD After Rebate/Tax

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming > Video Editing > Browsing

Parts Not Required: , Mouse, Monitor, DVD Drive

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg and Tigerdirect

Country of Origin: Canada

Parts Preferences: AMD Phenon II X4/X6 Cpu, Radeon HD 5000/6000 Video cards Asus Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD990FX ATX Gaming motherboard.

Overclocking: No/Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: Medium (1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900)

Additional Comments: Not really in a rush; can wait if there is going to be a sale on other AMD processors when BD come out. Need os, laplink and screws (motherboard standoffs Etc.)

My Build:

ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and UEFI BIOS

$229.99 (Newegg)

AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX840WFGMBOX

$99.99 (Newegg)

HIS H645H1G Radeon HD 6450 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

$44.99 (Newegg)

D-Link DWA-556 Xtreme Desktop Adapter $49.99 (Newegg)


G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model

$45.49 (Newegg)

APEX Vortex 3620 SGCC / ABS ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case

$44.99 (Newegg)

Rosewill RK-800G Black 104 Normal Keys PS/2 Wired Gaming Keyboard

$14.99 (Newegg)

Rosewill RV2-700 700W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply

$59.99 (Newegg)

Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

$36.99


Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIT Operating System Software - OEM DVD, English

$99.97 (Tigerdirect)

Laplink PCMover Ultimate Software - Transfer Files From Old PC To New

$57.99 (Tiger Direct)

Total (Including tax and shipping to my house) $943.63

Please comment on this build and revise and change anything for me. im new to toms hardware and building pcs
9 answers Last reply
More about help build
  1. I dont see any problems with the build but you mentioned BD so why not wait until it comes out and go with BD instead of AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX840WFGMBOX
  2. cgleckman said:
    I dont see any problems with the build but you mentioned BD so why not wait until it comes out and go with BD instead of AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX840WFGMBOX


    BD Is Suppossed to come out in September, so if I dont find a reason to buy the phenom ( like price) I'll purchase the bd. Thank you for your response, I appreciate it :na:
  3. I am not 100% up to date on BD but just remember you may need a new MOBO if you do go with BD. Just food for thought
  4. Quote:
    990FX is the chipset I know of that is supposed to support BD when it releases

    so he wouldn't need to buy another..


    Sounds good, i wasnt sure so thank you for clarifying
  5. I didn't see a PSU listed. Be sure to get a decent one.
  6. thrakazog said:
    I didn't see a PSU listed. Be sure to get a decent one.


    I Have one listed, but i dont think its up to my Compaany standards. So i went with a company i know and trust from my computer builder friends. Thermaltake 600W power supply. I think it's sufficent to power my system for now. Any input or suggestions on better parts would be appreciated :D
  7. Sweetieletts said:
    I Have one listed, but i dont think its up to my Compaany standards. So i went with a company i know and trust from my computer builder friends. Thermaltake 600W power supply. I think it's sufficent to power my system for now. Any input or suggestions on better parts would be appreciated :D

    You have a $230 board up top that's meant for a dual vid card set up, yet you stated "No" in that format in regards to dual vid cards. So what am I missing? Why that board, yet a sub par vid card, and sub par psu...not to even mention that case...? If video editing is your thing along with gaming then Quick Sync and Lucid Virtu is where it's at...like in a Z68 board.

    These two outfits (Direct Canada & Best Direct) are affiliated and both ship out of the same warehouse in Richmond, BC. They both offer FREE SHIPPING.

    http://www.directcanada.com
    http://www.directcanada.com/contact/

    http://www.bestdirect.ca
    http://www.bestdirect.ca/contact/

    This build is set up so that you can add another one of those 6870's later on.

    http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11130AC0700&vpn=RC-912-KKN1&manufacture=COOLERMASTER $49.69
    Coolermaster Haf 912 Black Mid Tower ATX Case 4X5.25 1X3.5 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB Sound

    http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/231688/HCG-620/ANTEC/ $66.69
    Antec High Current Gamer 620W 48A 24PIN ATX12V V2.3 Active PFC 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply 135mm Fan

    http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11830BD4863&vpn=GA-Z68A-D3H-B3&manufacture=GIGABYTE $122.70
    Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 ATX LGA1155 Z68 DDR3 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 HDMI DVI SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard

    http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/232639/BX80623I52500K/Intel/ $208.79
    Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Sandy Bridge 6MB

    http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=15380BD5211&vpn=F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL&manufacture=G.SKILL $45.03
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory

    http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/233111/ST31000524AS/Seagate/ $49.79
    Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 7200.12 1TB SATA 32MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive OEM

    http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/225965/DRW-24B1ST%20Bulk/ASUS/ $16.79
    ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black

    http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=15180BD7578&vpn=HD687AZHFC&manufacture=XFX $175.35
    XFX Radeon HD 6870 900MHZ 1GB 4.2GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI 2x Mini DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card

    Total: $735.03

    http://www.bestdirect.ca/category/?minorcatid=1004&vendorid=1550 <----- There's your network adapters

    http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/222137/GFC-00599/MICROSOFT/ $93.79
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM
  8. why spend so much on a motherboard for multi card SLI when you are only installing one bottom end graphics card ?

    Use the ASUS 970 evo , or the Asrock 970 [ which can crossfire] and spend the money you save on better graphics

    You need 1.5 volt RAM for bulldozer

    ASUS M5A97 EVO AM3+ AMD 970 SATA $120
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131757

    or

    ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ AMD 970 $140
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157262

    Quite a few people mentioning memory issues . Probably the onboard memory controller of the Phenom wanting slower speeds since its only rated for 1333 MHz , but buy 1600Mhz and just run it at 1333 till BD gets here

    Bot these boards are fully compatible . I like the Asus more but the Asrock can crossfire
  9. Why_Me said:
    You have a $230 board up top that's meant for a dual vid card set up, yet you stated "No" in that format in regards to dual vid cards. So what am I missing? Why that board, yet a sub par vid card, and sub par psu...not to even mention that case...? If video editing is your thing along with gaming then Quick Sync and Lucid Virtu is where it's at...like in a Z68 board.

    These two outfits (Direct Canada & Best Direct) are affiliated and both ship out of the same warehouse in Richmond, BC. They both offer FREE SHIPPING.

    http://www.directcanada.com
    http://www.directcanada.com/contact/

    http://www.bestdirect.ca
    http://www.bestdirect.ca/contact/

    This build is set up so that you can add another one of those 6870's later on.

    http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11130AC0700&vpn=RC-912-KKN1&manufacture=COOLERMASTER $49.69
    Coolermaster Haf 912 Black Mid Tower ATX Case 4X5.25 1X3.5 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB Sound

    http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/231688/HCG-620/ANTEC/ $66.69
    Antec High Current Gamer 620W 48A 24PIN ATX12V V2.3 Active PFC 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply 135mm Fan

    http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11830BD4863&vpn=GA-Z68A-D3H-B3&manufacture=GIGABYTE $122.70
    Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 ATX LGA1155 Z68 DDR3 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 HDMI DVI SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard

    http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/232639/BX80623I52500K/Intel/ $208.79
    Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Sandy Bridge 6MB

    http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=15380BD5211&vpn=F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL&manufacture=G.SKILL $45.03
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory

    http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/233111/ST31000524AS/Seagate/ $49.79
    Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 7200.12 1TB SATA 32MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive OEM

    http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/225965/DRW-24B1ST%20Bulk/ASUS/ $16.79
    ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black

    http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=15180BD7578&vpn=HD687AZHFC&manufacture=XFX $175.35
    XFX Radeon HD 6870 900MHZ 1GB 4.2GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI 2x Mini DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card

    Total: $735.03

    http://www.bestdirect.ca/category/?minorcatid=1004&vendorid=1550 <----- There's your network adapters

    http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/222137/GFC-00599/MICROSOFT/ $93.79
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM


    Oh sorry. I meant to put yes, just forgot to. Thank you for your imput, but i would like to stick with my motherboard, and see what i can do with it. If you could post an amd build, i would be very happy. I would just like to stick with amd for now,
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product