Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Please help with connection problems

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 29, 2011 6:40:23 PM

I have a Belkin Play N600 router dual band 2.4 and 5 ghz model number F7D8302 v1. I have tried to talk to "technical support" and I can't any decent help from them. I am not computer illiterate and they don't tell me anything I haven't already tried. And when I tell them the issue they can't figure it out.

The problem I am having is: anytime I turn on my desktop which is hardwired into the Belkin which is wired into the modem I can't connect my Wii or any other wireless devices such as a lap top. They can see the router it just won't allow them to connect to it. This is more of an annoyance than anything but if I want to watch NetFlix while my wife is on the comp I can't do it. When the desktop is off all wireless devices connect just fine.

I was hoping that someone out there in the tom's hardware community had more of a clue than the Belkin "technical support" :pfff:  which is a joke and I will never buy another Belkin because of this reason.

Please help and thanks in advance for the reply!

More about : connection problems

Best solution

Anonymous
January 29, 2011 9:50:11 PM

Sounds like an IP clash. Make sure nothing is on a fixed IP address so that the router can assgn addresses.

On the desktop check TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.
February 6, 2011 12:21:23 PM

Quote:
Sounds like an IP clash. Make sure nothing is on a fixed IP address so that the router can assgn addresses.

On the desktop check TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

OK sorry it took me a while to get back to this but medic school has put this on the back burner. If you are talking about the start menu I can't find connect to options. I'm still unclear as to how to check the TCP/IP settings. I know the router itself used dynamic addresses. Sorry for the nub question.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
February 6, 2011 12:38:40 PM

Go to Control Panel, Network Connections.
m
l
February 17, 2011 7:40:19 PM

Best answer selected by infirmumdeum.
m
l
!