Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia 3d gpu

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 2, 2011 2:57:33 AM

hi,

so i want to enable 3d on my computer and i was wondering which nvidia gpu would be the best. I want to do dual gpus and i am not worried at all about price...

here are my specs:
cpu - Overclocked Intel Core i7 990x Extreme Six Core Processor
memory - 12GB DDR3 1333MHz (3x 4GB) Tri Channel Memory
gpu - Dual 4GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon™ HD 6990
OP - Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate

thanks

More about : nvidia gpu

a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2011 4:08:33 AM

Just curious: what is wrong with the dual HD 6990s? Does you motherboard support SLI with dual Nvidia cards?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2011 5:29:52 AM

PhilFrisbie said:
Just curious: what is wrong with the dual HD 6990s? Does you motherboard support SLI with dual Nvidia cards?

AMD handled stereo 3D totally wrong, IMO.
@OP:
If you want 3d vision surround: SLI gtx 480/580.
3d vision with a single screen: SLI gtx 470.

Also, do you have a 120hz 3d ready monitor?

You should let us know what motherboard you have, if it doesn't support SLI, go for a gtx 590 for 3d surround (supports 3 monitors), or a gtx 580 for single screen. Although every 1366 mobo I've ever seen supports SLI.

After all that, I do hope you were talking about 3d vision, and that I wasn't missing something about PhilFrisbie's response.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2011 10:20:13 AM

Do you need 3D for gaming or watching movies? For watching movies get the GTS 250 (PhysX card too) and add it to your existing system.

For gaming get the GTX 590. It's the nvidia equivalent of what you have now.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2011 10:52:41 AM

browsingtheworld said:
Do you need 3D for gaming or watching movies? For watching movies get the GTS 250 (PhysX card too) and add it to your existing system.

For gaming get the GTX 590. It's the nvidia equivalent of what you have now.

Not only are 2 570's cheaper than a 590, they also perform on par with, and in some cases better than the 590. And that's without overclocking..

m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2011 10:54:11 AM

bluesc said:
Not only are 2 570's cheaper than a 590, they also perform on par with, and in some cases better than the 590. And that's without overclocking..

He doesn't care about price and might get another 590 later. The 590 is easily the better choice if price doesn't matter.

Might want to read the OP.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2011 10:59:30 AM

He has a processor that can do Quad CFX/SLi and it makes sense to get such a system for 3D gaming.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2011 11:59:37 AM

browsingtheworld said:
He has a processor that can do Quad CFX/SLi and it makes sense to get such a system for 3D gaming.

Ok, just in case anyone comes across this thread in the future looking for advice, for a 1080p monitor using 3d vision, it absolutely does not make sense to use quad sli. Not even tri-sli.

For an average build, sli 460's are fine. sli 480/570's are great. sli 590's for $1500? It is mind boggling how you could even suggest that that would make sense. and I really do hope that you weren't speaking for the system as a whole when you said it makes sense for 3d gaming :lol:  .

Time to move along now, the last time I heard, the OP was building an Athlon x3 budget build : http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/304510-13-final-bui...

Nice upgrade.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2011 12:13:50 PM

bluesc said:
Ok, just in case anyone comes across this thread in the future looking for advice, for a 1080p monitor using 3d vision, it absolutely does not make sense to use quad sli. Not even tri-sli.

For an average build, sli 460's are fine. sli 480/570's are great. sli 590's for $1500? It is mind boggling how you could even suggest that that would make sense. and I really do hope that you weren't speaking for the system as a whole when you said it makes sense for 3d gaming :lol:  .

Time to move along now, the last time I heard, the OP was building an Athlon x3 budget build : http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/304510-13-final-bui...

Nice upgrade.

Money is no object as the OP has already said. He might be gaming at 5760x1080 with 3 120hz 1080p monitors which is perfectly possible.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/3d-vision-surround-...
GTX 480 SLi is about as fast as the GTX 590. I'd like to think he might want to double those fps there...

So please explain to me what kind of setup someone would want 3D surround if not GTX 590s in SLi.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2011 12:44:51 PM

Did I even mention 3d vision surround in my post? I clearly said "for a 1080p monitor using 3d vision"?

Did you even mention 3d vision surround when you said "He has a processor that can do Quad CFX/SLi and it makes sense to get such a system for 3D gaming."?

You realise that 120hz in 3d vision is 60fps per eye? Meaning benchmarks show 50 fps, the real framerate being produced is double that? and the very benchmarks you linked to suggest that you recommend spending an extra $900 for an extra 11fps on farcry 2 in that benchmark? Because, of course you already know this, 3d vision has forced vsync to prevent flickering?

You also realise that almost everyone turns down the eye candy in 3d vision, without a massively noticeable difference?

Have you even used 3d vision before?

Please, for the sake of this forum, accept that you can be wrong sometimes.

You actually give good advice sometimes, so why don't you drop this, and go and do that, or start a discussion thread where we can continue this discussion?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2011 12:53:46 PM

bluesc said:
Did I even mention 3d vision surround in my post? I clearly said "for a 1080p monitor using 3d vision"?

Did you even mention 3d vision surround when you said "He has a processor that can do Quad CFX/SLi and it makes sense to get such a system for 3D gaming."?

You realise that 120hz in 3d vision is 60fps per eye? Meaning benchmarks show 50 fps, the real framerate being produced is double that? and the very benchmarks you linked to suggest that you recommend spending an extra $900 for an extra 11fps on farcry 2 in that benchmark? Because, of course you already know this, 3d vision has forced vsync to prevent flickering?

You also realise that almost everyone turns down the eye candy in 3d vision, without a massively noticeable difference?

Have you even used 3d vision before?

Please, for the sake of this forum, accept that you can be wrong sometimes.

You actually give good advice sometimes, so why don't you drop this, and go and do that, or start a discussion thread where we can continue this discussion?

I assumed it was possible the OP had 3D surround considering he said he has a 990x, CF 6990s, and did not care about money. I suppose that's not possible considering the circumstances? :whistle: 

You realize that the benchmarks showed 30 fps with 3D surround in stalker, a demanding game. Maybe he wanted to get more than 30 fps? I guess the eye can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps?

You realize the OP said he has a super expensive system with CF 6990s and a 990x already and he said that he didn't care about money so just maybe he didn't want to compromise by turning down eye candy?

You realize it's realize right?

Maybe you should take you own advice. :hello: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2011 1:21:23 PM

Start a new discussion thread...

Once again, you avoid the questions that you don't want to answer, once again you presume that the OP even has this rig, and even if he does, that he even has ONE 120hz monitor, you presume that he has 3 of them, and base your answer to his question off of that, while I give options for both scenarios.

Have you used 3d vision? Probably not.

I really do apologise for liking better value options, and when someone comes along wanting to spend loads of money on a graphics card, I suggest an option that is identical in performance to your option, while saving him ~$150, an option that I have tried many times myself.

You realise that there is whole world out there right? Some weird island peoples across the Atlantic spell "realise" with an "s". Those weird primitive island peoples. No, I'm not Irish. Yes, I link to newegg for Americans when they ask questions, while the only links I ever see from you are links to benchmarks to prove your point.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2011 1:33:04 PM

wowaddict276 said:
hi,

so i want to enable 3d on my computer and i was wondering which nvidia gpu would be the best. I want to do dual gpus and i am not worried at all about price...

here are my specs:
cpu - Overclocked Intel Core i7 990x Extreme Six Core Processor
memory - 12GB DDR3 1333MHz (3x 4GB) Tri Channel Memory
gpu - Dual 4GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon™ HD 6990
OP - Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate

thanks

bluesc said:
Start a new discussion thread...

Once again, you avoid the questions that you don't want to answer, once again you presume that the OP even has this rig, and even if he does, that he even has ONE 120hz monitor, you presume that he has 3 of them, and base your answer to his question off of that, while I give options for both scenarios.

Have you used 3d vision? Probably not.

I really do apologise for liking better value options, and when someone comes along wanting to spend loads of money on a graphics card, I suggest an option that is identical in performance to your option, while saving him ~$150, an option that I have tried many times myself.

You realise that there is whole world out there right? Some weird island peoples across the Atlantic spell "realise" with an "s". Those weird primitive island peoples. No, I'm not Irish. Yes, I link to newegg for Americans when they ask questions, while the only links I ever see from you are links to benchmarks to prove your point.

If you actually read the OP you'll see that's the rig he said he had. I thought it was possible he had nvidia 3D surround and recommended him the best solution even for a single 120hz 1080p monitor, a GTX 590 (not SLi, you should actually read posts). I also suggested he could SLi later. He said money was not a problem so I suggested the best card out there from nvidia, the GTX 590. Even when considering price, it can be argued that $750 for a GTX 590 is a better buy than $650 for GTX 570s in SLi.

You did not give options for the 3D surround scenario....

Once again the OP said he did not care about money, value should not be a factor. That's exactly what he wanted to do, spend loads of money, Even so as I have stated the 590 might be a better value at $750 since it's extra VRAM will definitely help at higher resolutions if he doesn't already have 3D surround and upgrades to it later.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2011 2:04:57 PM

Regarding me not giving options for a 3d surround scenario -

"If you want 3d vision surround: SLI gtx 480/580.
3d vision with a single screen: SLI gtx 470."

A gtx 580 having 3gb VRAM, at least the option I was referring to. Of course you will question that, but whatever.

I have played 3d vision surround on sli 480's, and there is no VRAM issue.

Go play 3d vision surround on sli 480's and tell me the VRAM is an issue.

Seriously, we're done now. In this situation, neither side wins. We both have an opinion. I think mine is better, you think yours is better. You think I spell realise weird, and so does the spellchecker. That's pretty much all that has been established.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2011 2:46:10 PM

bluesc said:
Regarding me not giving options for a 3d surround scenario -

"If you want 3d vision surround: SLI gtx 480/580.
3d vision with a single screen: SLI gtx 470."

A gtx 580 having 3gb VRAM, at least the option I was referring to. Of course you will question that, but whatever.

I have played 3d vision surround on sli 480's, and there is no VRAM issue.

Go play 3d vision surround on sli 480's and tell me the VRAM is an issue.

Seriously, we're done now. In this situation, neither side wins. We both have an opinion. I think mine is better, you think yours is better. You think I spell realise weird, and so does the spellchecker. That's pretty much all that has been established.

I already showed a scenario where GTX 480s are insufficient, 3D surround in Stalker, which is less demanding than Metro 2033. The 580s are faster but would still be at 30-35 fps in Stalker, not to mention Metro 2033. The 580 also gives you less performance/dollar than the 590 for 3D gaming:

I'm using 2560x1600 because it is about the resolution of 3D with a single 1920x1080 monitor. The value of the 590 relative to the 580 will increase as we go to multi-monitor 3D gaming.
Once again your suggestions are erroneous, especially considering he said he did not care about cost.

Why'd you have to put that after the 3GB? Hindsight is always 20/20 but you're also wrong in this case. The 580 3GB is slower than the 1.5GB due to slower RAM.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

Maybe you should be informed before making terrible recommendations?

Your opinions clearly lacks any research or factual evidence behind them.

We've established you like to give terrible recommendations that sources from the internet contradict.
m
l
!