Sign in with
Your question

Bulldozer taking too long. Switching to i5 2500k

Last response: in Systems
September 2, 2011 9:51:00 PM

Well...

I'm sick of waiting for AMD's new FX processors, and hearing rumors of them being delayed until October is not helping.

So I've switched to an i5.

Just posting here to make sure I did not do something stupid with putting together the parts.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K
GPU: MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II OC Radeon HD 6950
MB: ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD7502AAEX 750GB
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912
Wireless card: ASUS PCE-N13 PCI Express
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

There's the important parts.

I'm going to be lazy and leave off the links.

I do plan to overclock.
September 2, 2011 10:14:20 PM

That's a great looking setup. I would also consider a higher wattage PSU in case you want to run X-fire. I went with a corsair 850w. MSI is a great card. I went with the 6950 twin frozr 3, but they seem to be sold out at a lot of places, and overpriced on amazon. If you go with twin 3, be sure to pay $300 or less...no more than that. I added a 2nd one a month later, so I was glad I went with the corsair 850. The MSI 6950's rock. You'll probably be happy with with either of the twin frozr models.
m
l
Related resources
September 2, 2011 10:14:54 PM

Bulldozer is coming out by the end of the month....
m
l
September 2, 2011 10:24:19 PM

Looking at Newegg's information on shipping.

I will not order this until end of next week.

After looking at my budget for a while I think the 2500k if my best bet. The $100 saved on the 2500k to buy games and a CPU cooler.

I really wanted one of the new FX chips, but I no longer feel that is the best option. Been waiting on them damn bulldozers since the first information about them came out.

m
l
September 2, 2011 10:42:26 PM

I'd wait, unless you have no capable system whatsoever and you just itch to game. Trust me, I've done this mistake (OMG, can't wait, MUST GET A PC NOW!) and I'm just damn lucky that the stuff I got was exactly what I needed. NEVER rush the PC purchase.
m
l
September 2, 2011 10:44:55 PM

one change: Don't get that 750GB Hard drive. $1 more gets a Samsung Spinpoint F3, faster, and 33% more space.

(and its actually $4 less thru labor day)
m
l
September 2, 2011 11:07:30 PM

The Neko said:
Well...

I'm sick of waiting for AMD's new FX processors, and hearing rumors of them being delayed until October is not helping.

So I've switched to an i5.

Just posting here to make sure I did not do something stupid with putting together the parts.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K
GPU: MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II OC Radeon HD 6950
MB: ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD7502AAEX 750GB
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912
Wireless card: ASUS PCE-N13 PCI Express
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

There's the important parts.

I'm going to be lazy and leave off the links.

I do plan to overclock.

Another one coming over to the Dark Side :sol: 
Nix that 750gb h/d, change up to a 750 psu, and what's your total budget and does it include the o/s (windows) ?
m
l
September 2, 2011 11:35:46 PM

Bah who knows when Bulldozer is coming out. AMD still hasn't given out a definitive date. I'm wondering if delays aren't just caused by all the hubub of switching out CEOs. Even so I expect we'll see at least some Radeon 7xxx parts and perhaps Bulldozer this month. Of course, if AMD was going to launch this month they should have already started their marketing campaign rather than just teasing it with that give away and then backing off.
m
l
September 2, 2011 11:47:22 PM

megamanx00 said:
Bah who knows when Bulldozer is coming out. AMD still hasn't given out a definitive date. I'm wondering if delays aren't just caused by all the hubub of switching out CEOs. Even so I expect we'll see at least some Radeon 7xxx parts and perhaps Bulldozer this month. Of course, if AMD was going to launch this month they should have already started their marketing campaign rather than just teasing it with that give away and then backing off.

You ever seen AMD doing an actual marketing campaign? I didn't, and I think they should. There're lots of people who don't even know AMD exists; however, EVERYONE knows Intel. Why? Advertisement all over the place.

@OP: As I said, it all depends on whether you have a capable system already or not. If you do, wait and see what BD has to offer. If not, go for Z68 Sandy Bridge, it's not like it will disappoint or something... :D 
m
l
September 2, 2011 11:57:09 PM

Quote:
or he could just buy dead island for console to kill some time till then?

That is, assuming he has one ;) 
m
l
September 3, 2011 12:03:38 AM

So when is BD due out? 2 week, 3 weeks, 4 weeks...anyone know ?
m
l
September 3, 2011 12:05:06 AM

Quote:
How does he not have a console yet may have a computer?

Iv'e never owned a console. A lot of peeps don't own consoles.
m
l
September 3, 2011 12:30:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:
I wasn't talking about the sheltered part of society.

I am referring to the rest of the world that has owned atleast a Nintendo or a PS in their life time.. if not an Atari or Sega...

You've gotta be kidding. I never had a console in my life and I don't consider myself "a sheltered part of a society", mind you. Not because I hate consoles (I do, but that's irrelevant), but because I never even thought of buying one.

My friends: "You must get a PS2 or an Xbox, this is so cool, we play split-screen... blah blah blah..." Me: "Huh? PS2? What's that? Oh, cool! Too bad I'm a casual gamer [I was at that time] and I don't feel like spending money on a gaming device; I'd rather play on my PC when I have some time..." Later on, my friends: "You must get a PS3 or an Xbox 360, this is so cool, we play split-screen, and there's Halo... blah blah blah..." Me: "What? Consoles? Lol, GTFO, n00bz, I just ordered my first gaming PC!"

Just never thought of it as such. To me, consoles were always somewhat distant, although they were all around and many of my friends had them. I just never noticed them. That's all. So don't assume everyone has them.

EDIT: Although I *did* play on friends' consoles a few times... there was this game on a PS1 called 360 and it was cool, but it could be 100 times better if I could connect a mouse and a keyboard.
m
l
September 3, 2011 2:21:19 AM

Quote:
I wasn't talking about the sheltered part of society.

I am referring to the rest of the world that has owned atleast a Nintendo or a PS in their life time.. if not an Atari or Sega...

"Sheltered part of society" ?

If you call working construction in sub zero temps here in Alaska for close to thirty years while raising a family...then ya, I'm guilty as charged.
m
l
September 3, 2011 2:22:47 AM

Why_Me said:
Another one coming over to the Dark Side :sol: 
Nix that 750gb h/d, change up to a 750 psu, and what's your total budget and does it include the o/s (windows) ?

What its at right now....

$1,340
m
l
September 3, 2011 3:00:34 AM

As soon as you get this system together, Intel will release IB and it will be 20% faster than your new rig! = O

The release was delayed by Intel going into the month of April 2012. Seems like forever to wait and maybe it is but it may be worth waiting for. The motherboards will definitely have a lot more features than the current Intel boards do now.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/rumor_intel_delay...
m
l
September 3, 2011 3:21:33 AM

englandr753 said:
As soon as you get this system together, Intel will release IB and it will be 20% faster than your new rig! = O

The release was delayed by Intel going into the month of April 2012. Seems like forever to wait and maybe it is but it may be worth waiting for. The motherboards will definitely have a lot more features than the current Intel boards do now.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/rumor_intel_delay...

Waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting...

As soon as the CPU you thought you wanted is release something else better will be announced and so on.

I want a durnit computer.

An i5 will do everything I need it to.

Next week I will be ordering a computer next week unless some very juicy and favorable details about the AMD FX are released.
m
l
September 3, 2011 3:38:33 AM

I believe that the date AMD set for bulldozer release was September 28th. The specs for the processors have also been leaked with the top CPU costing $320.
m
l
September 3, 2011 3:56:53 AM

I agree with the druggie guy. To wait this long and then bail with only weeks to go makes no sense. I'm not saying buy it, but to wait THIS LONG and then give up right before it comes out is dumb. Even if you don't buy BD it could force prices a bit lower for parts you would buy.
m
l
September 3, 2011 3:58:46 AM

The Neko said:
What its at right now....

$1,340

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $147.98 - $15.00 Mail In Rebates FREE SHIPPING $10 off w/ promo code EMCKAKH34, ends 9/5
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9B

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $374.98 FREE SHIPPING
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $59.99 FREE SHIPPING $10 off w/ promo code EMCKBGK32, ends 9/5
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $19.99 FREE SHIPPING
Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B - OEM
m
l
September 3, 2011 4:12:10 AM

Quote:

Built a computer for a friend in 1977 - back when "build" meant taking soldering iron in hand. Bought and overclocked my first computer in 1978. I also have never owned any kind of a console.
m
l
September 3, 2011 4:47:59 AM

Build as it sits now:

CPU:Intel i5-2500k - $219.99
GPU:MSI Twin Frozer II Radeon 6950 - $289.99
MB:ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) - $159.99
RAM,PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W & CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) bundle - $147.98
HD:SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB - $59.99
Case:HAF 912 - $59.99
CPU Cooler:COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus - $27.99
Monitor:Asus VH242H 23.6" LCD Monitor HDMI Full 1080p - $179.99
Keyboard: CHERRY J82-16001 - $12.99
OD:ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X - $20.99

Games:
Just Cause 2: 27.99
Fallout 3: $28.82

Grand Total: $1,336.69
m
l
September 3, 2011 4:54:37 AM

Quote:
What is with all of these people and never playing Atari or anything?

Where did you all live as children? Under rocks w/o a t.v. to hook your consoles up to?

Before consoles, there were only arcades. That is also where I spent a vast amount of my time. Then they told me I could play arcade games at home so yeah I moved onto console. Then I learned how many games pcs have on them so I moved to pc.

Before any pc games there were consoles, so what kind of gaming did you all do back in the day.. Probably just sat at home playing Candy Land with your sisters dolls?

A big motivation in why I love pcs so much is because of the evolution of gaming. Its like saying you have never experienced what water was even though we all came from it. Some people probably never had the chance or opportunity to play any form of video games in their entire lives. Those people live in the poorest parts of the world were drinkable water is a commidty. I have been playing consoles since as long as I can remember. Super Nintendo > yo face!

How can you say you have never played Mario Party...

I love gaming, but you're taking it too far. Can you imagine that I never played a computer game till I was like 12 (disregard occasional Mario and Prehistoric 2 on school computers, lol) and yet had a very happy childhood? My family wasn't poor at all, and weren't so much against gaming. I just didn't think about it.

Imagine, sometimes I DID sit at home and played Legos or was running around with my friends... and I didn't think I was "ripped off" because I didn't have a console or a gaming PC. I still don't.

And imagine, I actually DON'T have a TV despite having enough money for one. Just don't need. If I get one, it'll just work as a large screen.

In short, don't impose your somewhat questionable beliefs and experiences on others. Not owning a console as a child != being isolated/poor/stupid. You probably belong to the same group of people who think that countries that don't have reliable Internet don't exist...
m
l
September 3, 2011 4:55:49 AM

The Neko said:
Build as it sits now:

CPU:Intel i5-2500k - $219.99
GPU:MSI Twin Frozer II Radeon 6950 - $289.99
MB:ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) - $159.99
RAM,PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W & CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) bundle - $147.98
HD:SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB - $59.99
Case:HAF 912 - $59.99
CPU Cooler:COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus - $27.99
Monitor:Asus VH242H 23.6" LCD Monitor HDMI Full 1080p - $179.99
Keyboard: CHERRY J82-16001 - $12.99
OD:ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X - $20.99

Games:
Just Cause 2: 27.99
Fallout 3: $28.82

Grand Total: $1,336.69

Nice :)  For the price of that monitor u can step up to a LED for no extra cost...same price. Check newegg.
m
l
September 3, 2011 4:57:12 AM

Quote:
Sorry for spam but how does someone go their entire life without ever owning a single console..

Inexpensive easy to obtain mass produced tons of entertainment from thousands of different titles..

Its like never having owned a radio.. This isn't the 1970's where consoles are just being invented lol..

I would burn my house down before I lived in it without some form of gaming device.

Hell even Battleships was like an early gaming console lol...

Oh yeah, and I've never owned the radio. I don't understand WTF is so fascinating with listening to pre-defined broadcast (TV/radio).
m
l
September 3, 2011 5:28:53 AM

Quote:
You do realize you are on a computer right now, pretty much just a largely developed console. You do play games on it? Hence gaming console lol.

You're insulting PCs. I'm serious. It's other way around - consoles are dumbed down and limited PCs. Doesn't matter. Point is, don't assume everyone was gaming when they were kids.

Quote:
Besides the clear and obvious reasons that anyone should know lol.

What happens when your satelites fall out of the sky and no more tv/internet/phones.. What will be left? Radio Towers

What are you, like 12? :D  Phones are called "landline" for a reason; they don't use satellites. Internet isn't necessarily through satellites, either. Mobile phones? They use RADIO TOWERS already, lol.

Troll? 'Cause you sound like one, no offense =)
m
l
September 3, 2011 6:06:32 AM

Quote:

You do realize you are on a computer right now, pretty much just a largely developed console. You do play games on it? Hence gaming console lol.

What kind of idiotic logic is that? PCs are consoles?? Where are you from?
I never owned a console either. Seems to me like you are the 'Sheltered part of society'.
m
l
!