Upgrade from an ATI Radeon HD 5570, $200 max

TheRustyTaco

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
I'm purchasing a new desktop, It comes standard with the 5570. As far as gaming goes (Mostly RIFT, a bit of CoD, maybe Assassin's Creed), which is the superior card? I would like to run games on High-Ultra.

If you guys don't think these are great cards, feel free to recommend other cards (I'd prefer $0-200)
Or any upgrades that would make my gaming experience a bit.. Smoother, I'd love suggestions!

I'll give a bit more info below.

I plan to buy a new card [(assuming my card is inferior) I've ordered my computer, I actually do not have it right now] In around one-two weeks.

I can spend anywhere from $0-200 (preferably under $150, if not, that's fine)

I plan to use it for playing RIFT, CoD, Assassin's Creed, nothing like Crysis II. Relatively easy games, but I want the card to play it on High-Ultra-Max settings.

GPU + Power Supply: ATI Radeon HD 5570, it's a 480 watt power supply (Awkward, I know, though I can upgrade it if needed)

Other Specs: AMD Phenom II X4 925 2.8 GHz CPU, 4 Gigs RAM, 3 intake, 3 exhaust fans, all 120mm, Asus MoBo not a lot of information was given on it, 6 PCI expansion slots (Video Card is in the other.)

I would prefer if you guys could link me Newegg products.. But if not, that's also fine.

I would also like a Physx card.. Or are they really worth it? I've heard they make game play a bit more detailed.

Honestly, I haven't been able to find out a lot about my MoBo.. I'm not sure if it supports SLI/CrossfireX.. If it does.. That would be nice. Overclocking.. I could do with or without.

As far as monitor goes, I'm using a slightly old 720p 37 inch LCD as a monitor.. At some point, I plan to buy a newer flat screen around the same size, but 1080p. If a card can play 720 a lot better than 1080, I'll give up those pixels for a bit more performance.

Really the only thing that I want to stress, is that the main thing I'll be doing with it is playing RIFT. I want a card that can play it on Ultra-Max, still maintain at least a 30 FPS during a warfront (PvP 20-40 people) (if the FPS is low only during those PvP/Raids, I can sacrifice a bit of quality for FPS). Although normal game play, 45+ FPS would be nice. Anti Aliasing might be on like X4.. Well pretty low at any rate, just to smooth out those rough edges.

Thanks everyone!

The Halo Don

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
5570 Could handle higher resolutions, but you said you want to play Ultra high settings with those cards?!!?

Not possible, maybe on COD, but nothing else, they arent powerful cards, as for your upgrade you'd have to also upgrade a powersupply. I say go with the 5570 although the 4670 might be a tad bit better, but you wont have DX11.

TheRustyTaco

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

I didn't think so, but do you have any suggestions on new cards? I suppose I was actually looking for a new card all together.. Sorry for the misleading title.

Power supply upgrades are fine too.

matt9112

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
i run a 5570 with 1 gig of DDR3 in my coustom built rig....admitingly it was the only part of the pc i cheaped out on as i dont do any insane FPS gaming. however with that said i do have my core clock speed overclocked via the ATI overclock utility >very easy to use. So you can squeeze a bit more out this way...but for any real upgrade these days you will likely need to switch to the 6,000 series of cards as at the time of writing this the 5,000 series is on its way out. you can easily upgrade for under 200 bucks...especially if your running a normal screen resolution.

for about a buck fifty you can pick something up like the 6850 or 6860 both have DDR5 memory as well..keep in mind the 5570 is a DDR3 card and almost all steps up from here roll with DDR5. so that alone is a big upgrade.

on a side-note the 6000 series uses less power and supports 3D the 5000 series does not.

and powersupply....meh...if you do a step up or so you might be able to skirt by on oem supply...if not its no big deal i got an 800 watt supply for 90 bucks....super score.