I7 cooling system

Hi,

I have built a new gaming RIG recently, after a long discussion in Tom's Hardware forum.
I've now got a doubt in the cooling system of my processor.

I am using the stock CPU cooler of my i7 2600k and am getting 50 degrees easily (as per ASUS visual tool).

Can anyone tell me the necessity of overclocking and a CPU cooler.

I am a gamer and I want to run all of the latest PC games in full resolution (1920x1080 in very high/ultra). My configuration is available in my signature.

Now my questions:

1. Am I supposed to overclock for Gaming reasons? (as of now, my CPU is not reaching full utilization in any of the games I have played)

2. Is CPU cooler required for i7 2600k without overclocking?

3. Is Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus sufficient for i7 - if I am overclocking. Else, suggest one.

Cheers!

Senthur
---------------------
Intel i7 2600k | Asus Sabertooth P67 | Asus GTX 570 | 8G Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3
Samsung 23" LED @ 1080p | 2TB WD HDD @ 6 Gbps | Corsair TX 750W PSU | CM HAF 912 chassis
3 answers Last reply
More about cooling system
  1. 1.) Do you have to overclock for gaming? No but it can improve your performance on high end games.

2.) Is CPU cooler required for the Intel® Core™ i7-2600K without overclocking? No, the stock cooler works fine and you can even get a small overclock out of it without much problem.

3.) is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus sufficient for i7 - if I am overclocking? Yes I am using one right now and it does fine as long as you arent pushing for high end.

Christian Wood
    Intel Enthusiast Team
  2. Thanks for your reply :)

Regd. performance on high end games.
    >> I have never seen the CPU utilization more than 50% in any of the games I have played. Is there any such games with the maxed out settings?

Regd. CPU cooler
    >> Till what level it will be very stable? I am using Asus Sabertooth P67 with stock CPU fan & Corsair TX 750W PSU

Cheers!

Senthur
    ---------------------
    Intel i7 2600k | Asus Sabertooth P67 | Asus GTX 570 | 8G Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3
    Samsung 23" LED @ 1080p | 2TB WD HDD @ 6 Gbps | Corsair TX 750W PSU | CM HAF 912 chassis
  3. Keep in mind that Windows doesn't distinguish between physical cpu cores and hyperthreading, so if the Taskmanager is showing a 50% cpu usage, you're actually using 100%. Hyperthreading doesn't affect games positively in 99,9% of the cases.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Cooling Intel i7