What PSU Calculator do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madsweeney

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
So I'm looking to finally replace my old 4850 which has been great until BF3 (playable but can get glitchy). I've been eyeballing the deals on 6870/6950 but I'm concerned about power requirements. Right now I'm running an Antec NEO ECO 520w and don't have any issues.

So what I'm asking here is what PSU calculator do you guys trust. It seems that the PSU manufactures and Newegg show I need something 550w+, but other manufactures calculators (MSI, Ausus) show significantly less power requirements (basically I'd be fine running either card with my system.

Without going into much detail my system is pretty simple
i5 750 (no OC)
2 HDD's
only one PCI card installed (Asus audio card)
currently running Ausus 4850 TOP (OC'ed to 700Mhz)

Solution
If power supply wattage were all that really mattered. But it doesn't.

For a system running with a single Radeon HD 6950 graphics card the power supply should have a +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI-Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system running with a single Radeon HD 6870 graphics card the power supply should have a +12 Volt continuous current rating of 27 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI-Express supplementary power connectors.

Your Antec Neo ECO 520, with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 40 Amps and one 6-pin PCI-Express supplementary power connector and one 6+2-pin PCI-Express supplementary power connector is capable of handling either...
If power supply wattage were all that really mattered. But it doesn't.

For a system running with a single Radeon HD 6950 graphics card the power supply should have a +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI-Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system running with a single Radeon HD 6870 graphics card the power supply should have a +12 Volt continuous current rating of 27 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI-Express supplementary power connectors.

Your Antec Neo ECO 520, with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 40 Amps and one 6-pin PCI-Express supplementary power connector and one 6+2-pin PCI-Express supplementary power connector is capable of handling either graphics card model.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.