Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What kind of Anti-Aliasing filter do most games use?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 2, 2011 4:36:06 AM

Box, Narrow-Tent, Wide-Tent, or Edge-detect?

Which do most games us?

I am guessing box, but I am not to sure.

I would like to know, so I know if I should force a certain AA from my CCC, or just use the game default.

More about : kind anti aliasing filter games

Best solution

July 2, 2011 4:43:08 AM

Let the game use its default always, the one you force from CCC will likely be full image AA which is no good, you want to let the game do its own if it can, which is hopefully edge-detect AA which is much less intensive and still yields similar results to full image AA.

If you were going to force one on i would do edge detect so it tries to avoid doing the whole image if possible.
July 2, 2011 4:54:23 AM

hunter315 said:
Let the game use its default always, the one you force from CCC will likely be full image AA which is no good, you want to let the game do its own if it can, which is hopefully edge-detect AA which is much less intensive and still yields similar results to full image AA.

If you were going to force one on i would do edge detect so it tries to avoid doing the whole image if possible.

Sorry just noticed something.

I can force AA for x2, x4,x8

However, CCC has no default for the type of AA. It is left at "Box". There is no option like "application settings", it looks as if I have to choose one out of the four.

Just I just choose edge-detect?
m
l
Related resources
July 2, 2011 5:00:05 AM

The CCC has a system of Profiles that you create for each game and must be launched by the profile. It's a bit more clunky than the Nvidia "application settings". However, standard AA is usually box setting using MSAA mode.
m
l
July 2, 2011 5:02:13 AM

And to be clear, box and MSAA is not the highest quality. It's actually the lowest of all that available, but it also performs the best.
m
l
February 26, 2012 11:36:46 PM

Best answer selected by Shpati.
m
l
!