Will a Quad Core 2.4 Q6600 bottleneck an ATI 6850?

cheezo99

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
unfortuntatly it came prebuilt so i CAN NOT overclock it ):
and i can not afford a new mobo either ):

id like to play games like GTA4 and Metro 2033 on my 1920x1200 24inch monitor, medium-high settings would be okay for me

so anyways, is it worth getting a graphics card?

or shud i just go into a corner and cry?

Solution
bottlenecking simply means you are not using your video card to its full potential, and will be held back by other components like cpu. to simplify things a bit, your system is only as good as the weakest component in it. the relaitve importance of a graphics card or CPU will depend greatly on the game. In your case, a 6850 may be your bottleneck in some cases, while the q6600 will bottleneck you in other cases. I dont know what your current graphcis card is, but getting a 6850 is not at all a bad idea, and I would encourage you to do it if you have a sufficiently powerful PSU. the q6600 is still a decent processor, and most games are GPU dependent at your resolution anyway.

As for getting a 6770, what he simply meant was that you...

cheezo99

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
i read on another board that a 6770 would be a safer bet. What does he mean by this? that a 6770 will not bottleneck me thus i may get less bottleneck hiccup/lags?

Overclocked Toaster

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
bottlenecking simply means you are not using your video card to its full potential, and will be held back by other components like cpu. to simplify things a bit, your system is only as good as the weakest component in it. the relaitve importance of a graphics card or CPU will depend greatly on the game. In your case, a 6850 may be your bottleneck in some cases, while the q6600 will bottleneck you in other cases. I dont know what your current graphcis card is, but getting a 6850 is not at all a bad idea, and I would encourage you to do it if you have a sufficiently powerful PSU. the q6600 is still a decent processor, and most games are GPU dependent at your resolution anyway.

As for getting a 6770, what he simply meant was that you would be saving money by getting a 6770 since you may not benefit from a 6850 due to it bottlenecking you. Having a CPU bottleneck will not give you hiccup or lags. I would disregard his advice. A 6850 would make a decent match with your processor, and you would definitely get an improvement over a 6770.

what is your current graphics card?

Solution
Stick with the 6850, its actually quite a good balance for your resolution and the majority of todays games. Yes its a pain in the butt that you cant Over clock it but to be honest its not going to be any kind of issue that you will actually notice.

Mactronix :)

cheezo99

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
Thanks guys for all your help :D

Hey Overclocked Toaster, i have a GeForce 9300 GE. The resolution it allows me to play L4D2 makes me feel like i am playing a game from the 80's. xD