Browsing the net via bluetooth & Linux server

I have a linux server running slackware and have successfully paired
my Nokia ngage to it using bluez. The linux server is connected to
the
internet via my broadband router.

My question is, how do I configure linux to allow my phone to browse
the
internet using my broadband connection (I'm currently using NetFront
browser).

I have already successfully browsed the net (using my broadband
connection rather than the cellular network) using my ngage by
attaching my bluetooth adapter to my w2k laptop. I would rather use
my Linux server, because it is always up and running.
4 answers Last reply
More about browsing bluetooth linux server

    Take a look at this Linux HowTo

    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/index.html

    I don't think this is as straight forward as it is under Windows XP.

    Cheers
    TC

    "Pentti" <pentti_kavanagh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have a linux server running slackware and have successfully paired
    > my Nokia ngage to it using bluez. The linux server is connected to
    > the
    > internet via my broadband router.
    >
    > My question is, how do I configure linux to allow my phone to browse
    > the
    > internet using my broadband connection (I'm currently using NetFront
    > browser).
    >
    > I have already successfully browsed the net (using my broadband
    > connection rather than the cellular network) using my ngage by
    > attaching my bluetooth adapter to my w2k laptop. I would rather use
    > my Linux server, because it is always up and running.

    Thanks, I did check out your link, but I have stumbled across another
    solution that works and is quite simple.

    http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/mraento/symbian/bt-ap.html

    I have got it up and running now. I had to install an application
    called gnubox.sis on my Nokia N-Gage.

    The only problem I had was that every so often the dlink DBT_120 USB
    bluetooth adapter would seem to hang up. I needed to unplug and plug
    it back in to get it to work again. This seems to be solved by
    switching from the uhci module to the usb-uhci one.

    lsmod
    Module Size Used by Not tainted
    soundcore 3332 0 (autoclean)
    ppp_async 7552 1 (autoclean)
    ppp_generic 15452 3 (autoclean) [ppp_async]
    slhc 5040 0 (autoclean) [ppp_generic]
    rfcomm 31072 3
    l2cap 15884 5 [rfcomm]
    hci_usb 6488 1
    bluez 30628 4 [rfcomm l2cap hci_usb]
    uhci 24560 0 (unused)
    usbcore 58144 1 [hci_usb uhci]
    ide-scsi 8048 0

    rmmod uhci
    insmod usb-uhci
    Using /lib/modules/2.4.20-mh17/kernel/drivers/usb/usb-uhci.o

    modprobe usb-uhci

    lsmod
    Module Size Used by Not tainted
    usb-uhci 22220 0 (unused)
    soundcore 3332 0 (autoclean)
    ppp_async 7552 0 (autoclean)
    ppp_generic 15452 0 (autoclean) [ppp_async]
    slhc 5040 0 (autoclean) [ppp_generic]
    rfcomm 31072 1
    l2cap 15884 2 [rfcomm]
    hci_usb 6488 1
    bluez 30628 3 [rfcomm l2cap hci_usb]
    usbcore 58144 1 [usb-uhci hci_usb]
    ide-scsi 8048 0

    "Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<PqIjc.15880$e4.5684@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
    > Take a look at this Linux HowTo
    >
    > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/index.html
    >
    > I don't think this is as straight forward as it is under Windows XP.
    >
    > Cheers
    > TC
    >
    > "Pentti" <pentti_kavanagh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a linux server running slackware and have successfully paired
    > > my Nokia ngage to it using bluez. The linux server is connected to
    > > the
    > > internet via my broadband router.
    > >
    > > My question is, how do I configure linux to allow my phone to browse
    > > the
    > > internet using my broadband connection (I'm currently using NetFront
    > > browser).
    > >
    > > I have already successfully browsed the net (using my broadband
    > > connection rather than the cellular network) using my ngage by
    > > attaching my bluetooth adapter to my w2k laptop. I would rather use
    > > my Linux server, because it is always up and running.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    Pentti <pentti_kavanagh@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > switching from the uhci module to the usb-uhci one.

    hmmmm....:) Mine does that too.... Thank you very kindly for sharing
    that info... I have pulled hair out, turned off phone and
    removed/inserted dongle. I will hope that it's using the wrong module.

    > "Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<PqIjc.15880$e4.5684@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
    > > Take a look at this Linux HowTo
    > >
    > > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/index.html
    > >
    > > I don't think this is as straight forward as it is under Windows XP.
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > > TC
    > >
    > > "Pentti" <pentti_kavanagh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have a linux server running slackware and have successfully paired
    > > > my Nokia ngage to it using bluez. The linux server is connected to
    > > > the
    > > > internet via my broadband router.
    > > >
    > > > My question is, how do I configure linux to allow my phone to browse
    > > > the
    > > > internet using my broadband connection (I'm currently using NetFront
    > > > browser).
    > > >
    > > > I have already successfully browsed the net (using my broadband
    > > > connection rather than the cellular network) using my ngage by
    > > > attaching my bluetooth adapter to my w2k laptop. I would rather use
    > > > my Linux server, because it is always up and running.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    Mine's definitely fixed by changing the usb module. I haven't had
    one hang up since I switched over on Saturday.

    "Mark E. Daniel" <mark@atarimax.com> wrote in message news:<c7acdk$1hm75$1@ID-212409.news.uni-berlin.de>...
    > Pentti <pentti_kavanagh@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > > switching from the uhci module to the usb-uhci one.
    >
    > hmmmm....:) Mine does that too.... Thank you very kindly for sharing
    > that info... I have pulled hair out, turned off phone and
    > removed/inserted dongle. I will hope that it's using the wrong module.

    > > "Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<PqIjc.15880$e4.5684@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
    > > > Take a look at this Linux HowTo
    > > >
    > > > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/index.html
    > > >
    > > > I don't think this is as straight forward as it is under Windows XP.
    > > >
    > > > Cheers
    > > > TC
    > > >
    > > > "Pentti" <pentti_kavanagh@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Bluetooth Linux Servers