Browsing the net via bluetooth & Linux server

Last response: in Technologies
April 26, 2004 12:42:09 PM

I have a linux server running slackware and have successfully paired
my Nokia ngage to it using bluez. The linux server is connected to
the
internet via my broadband router.

My question is, how do I configure linux to allow my phone to browse
the
internet using my broadband connection (I'm currently using NetFront
browser).

I have already successfully browsed the net (using my broadband
connection rather than the cellular network) using my ngage by
attaching my bluetooth adapter to my w2k laptop. I would rather use
my Linux server, because it is always up and running.
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 10:46:07 AM

Take a look at this Linux HowTo

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/index.html

I don't think this is as straight forward as it is under Windows XP.

Cheers
TC

"Pentti" <pentti_kavanagh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a linux server running slackware and have successfully paired
> my Nokia ngage to it using bluez. The linux server is connected to
> the
> internet via my broadband router.
>
> My question is, how do I configure linux to allow my phone to browse
> the
> internet using my broadband connection (I'm currently using NetFront
> browser).
>
> I have already successfully browsed the net (using my broadband
> connection rather than the cellular network) using my ngage by
> attaching my bluetooth adapter to my w2k laptop. I would rather use
> my Linux server, because it is always up and running.
Anonymous
May 3, 2004 4:56:37 AM

Thanks, I did check out your link, but I have stumbled across another
solution that works and is quite simple.

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/mraento/symbian/bt-ap.html

I have got it up and running now. I had to install an application
called gnubox.sis on my Nokia N-Gage.

The only problem I had was that every so often the dlink DBT_120 USB
bluetooth adapter would seem to hang up. I needed to unplug and plug
it back in to get it to work again. This seems to be solved by
switching from the uhci module to the usb-uhci one.

lsmod
Module Size Used by Not tainted
soundcore 3332 0 (autoclean)
ppp_async 7552 1 (autoclean)
ppp_generic 15452 3 (autoclean) [ppp_async]
slhc 5040 0 (autoclean) [ppp_generic]
rfcomm 31072 3
l2cap 15884 5 [rfcomm]
hci_usb 6488 1
bluez 30628 4 [rfcomm l2cap hci_usb]
uhci 24560 0 (unused)
usbcore 58144 1 [hci_usb uhci]
ide-scsi 8048 0

rmmod uhci
insmod usb-uhci
Using /lib/modules/2.4.20-mh17/kernel/drivers/usb/usb-uhci.o

modprobe usb-uhci

lsmod
Module Size Used by Not tainted
usb-uhci 22220 0 (unused)
soundcore 3332 0 (autoclean)
ppp_async 7552 0 (autoclean)
ppp_generic 15452 0 (autoclean) [ppp_async]
slhc 5040 0 (autoclean) [ppp_generic]
rfcomm 31072 1
l2cap 15884 2 [rfcomm]
hci_usb 6488 1
bluez 30628 3 [rfcomm l2cap hci_usb]
usbcore 58144 1 [usb-uhci hci_usb]
ide-scsi 8048 0

"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<PqIjc.15880$e4.5684@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> Take a look at this Linux HowTo
>
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/index.html
>
> I don't think this is as straight forward as it is under Windows XP.
>
> Cheers
> TC
>
> "Pentti" <pentti_kavanagh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have a linux server running slackware and have successfully paired
> > my Nokia ngage to it using bluez. The linux server is connected to
> > the
> > internet via my broadband router.
> >
> > My question is, how do I configure linux to allow my phone to browse
> > the
> > internet using my broadband connection (I'm currently using NetFront
> > browser).
> >
> > I have already successfully browsed the net (using my broadband
> > connection rather than the cellular network) using my ngage by
> > attaching my bluetooth adapter to my w2k laptop. I would rather use
> > my Linux server, because it is always up and running.
May 5, 2004 1:33:41 PM

Pentti <pentti_kavanagh@hotmail.com> wrote:
> switching from the uhci module to the usb-uhci one.

hmmmm....:)  Mine does that too.... Thank you very kindly for sharing
that info... I have pulled hair out, turned off phone and
removed/inserted dongle. I will hope that it's using the wrong module.

> "Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<PqIjc.15880$e4.5684@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> > Take a look at this Linux HowTo
> >
> > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/index.html
> >
> > I don't think this is as straight forward as it is under Windows XP.
> >
> > Cheers
> > TC
> >
> > "Pentti" <pentti_kavanagh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a linux server running slackware and have successfully paired
> > > my Nokia ngage to it using bluez. The linux server is connected to
> > > the
> > > internet via my broadband router.
> > >
> > > My question is, how do I configure linux to allow my phone to browse
> > > the
> > > internet using my broadband connection (I'm currently using NetFront
> > > browser).
> > >
> > > I have already successfully browsed the net (using my broadband
> > > connection rather than the cellular network) using my ngage by
> > > attaching my bluetooth adapter to my w2k laptop. I would rather use
> > > my Linux server, because it is always up and running.
Anonymous
May 5, 2004 1:33:42 PM

Mine's definitely fixed by changing the usb module. I haven't had
one hang up since I switched over on Saturday.

!