High Temps - Twin Frozr III 6950

idjlee96

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
So, I finally got my GPU in the mail yesterday, and I installed it fine.
It seemed to be working well.
Then when I installed Afterburner, I checked the temperatures and at idle and 50% fan speeds, temps were around 43-44.
Raising fan speeds to 70-75% made maybe a degrees difference, but gave off this high pitch noise past 65%.

Right now, my fan temps are 47 degrees at idle and auto fan speeds (45%)

So I am worried I might have got a faulty card, because from what I know they are supposed to be extremely cool and quiet.

I also had the HAF X as my case so airflow isnt really an issue, THOUGH it could be a result of a fan setup.

Anyway, if anyone has any clue to what the problem might be, please help me out.
I really don't feel like having to go through the trouble or RMAing the card.

(Also, for some reason, I put in my Starcraft 2 yesterday, and apparently it is recommending I use medium setting, wondering why this is)

mojito_619

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
Well, I wouldn't know if that's too hot, but judging from my temps they look fine.

I've got a 4870 vapor-x edition, I know 48XXs run hot but Afterburner says that it's running at 60C at 60% fan speed at idle. Bear in mind that I'm in the south of France and it's scorching at the mo.

Here's a review on Guru3d, they get 5 degrees less than you but that probably is due to room temperature. http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-r6950-twin-frozr-iii-power-edition-oc-review/9

jeepster50

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011

I'd say a little hot for that card! All dependent on room temp. & case air flow, if you don't have a in-take fan on your side panel, take off panel & see if temps drop.
My ASUS DCII 6950: clocked @ 890/1375 1.1 vc CCC +20% power- Runs 10c above room temp with 20% fan @ idle & 23c above room 50% fan @ 98% GPU load.
Edit; Forgot to say my side panel removed, no fan.

The Twin Frozr cards run idle around 50% fan speed, that part is completely typical. They also let most the air out into the case, and if your case does not push the air out of the case well, that could potentially raise temps some.

Do you use 2 monitors? If so, they don't idle as low as with 1 monitor, and 45C temps is actually very good for a card with 2 monitors attached.

What is your load temps? That matters more than idle.

Sorky

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
I have the same card in my Antec 300 case. My idle temps are around 36-38C with the fans at 40% and full-load temps hover around 68C with fans at 48-50% on the"Silent" mode stetting. I have two 120mm intake fans in the front blowing cool air on the card as well. Those two fans on that Twin Frozr III do get somewhat loud after about 55%. What is your room temp like?
I always make sure that the screws on the back of the card that hold the heatsink on are on tight before I install the card. You can always remove the heatsink with those screws and reapply the thermal paste with something better like Arctic Silver, but it would void your warranty.

idjlee96

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Alright, thanks for all the replies.

So for my load temps, I used FurMark 1.9.
I did the Benchmark 1080p Preset, and I hit 66 degrees max.
Got about 29fps (avg)

ATM, the lowest its hitting it 47 and its idling around 49.
So higher then yesterday.
I am going to be getting a thermom to check room temps.
Fan is on auto and was at about 50% for both the load test and idle.

Yeah, I do have it hooked up to 2 monitors.
With only my one monitor plugged in use, (let it cool for like 2 minutes) is idling at 38-39 degrees and with the same furmark test it hit 64 degrees.

So I guess it had to do with the fact that I had two monitors.

I do have a side fan on the HAF X as well as a 120mm on the inside using the GPU Duct.
I stuck my hand in there yesterday, and the airflow that was coming in was pretty cool. I was just worried that too many fans may have messed the airflow a bit, but I guess temps aren't as bad as I thought they were.

Now I'm curious as to why I am recommended "Medium" settings in Starcraft 2 Graphics.
I also want to ask it other people get high pitch screeching noises when fans hit 60% or higher.
I know Sorky said they did get loud, but High pitch screeching?

Again, Thanks for all the great replies! :)