Sign in with
Your question

Need help learning to overclock

Last response: in CPUs
December 2, 2011 4:48:19 PM

i have an AMD x4 965 BE, people say OCing it is generaly as simple as raising the multiplier, which is fine... but i want explination if that makes sence. what i hope to get in reply to this is... what is the multiplier, what does the voltage do, how they effect eachother, and general rules on how to OC safely

More about : learning overclock

December 2, 2011 4:58:45 PM

hmmm... ive had a phenom ii before and what i did was slightly increase the multiplier and check for stability using prime95/occt/ibt. if it passed the stability testing, i increase the multiplier further until i get a bsod or wont boot to windows. now if that happens, try increasing the voltage slightly and if your able to boot into windows, check the stability again. rinse and repeat. anyway, my limit for the voltage is 1.5v. once i hit that. i stop ocing. just making sure im in the safe zone. :) 
December 2, 2011 5:02:21 PM

changwafu said:
hmmm... ive had a phenom ii before and what i did was slightly increase the multiplier and check for stability using prime95/occt/ibt. if it passed the stability testing, i increase the multiplier further until i get a bsod or wont boot to windows. now if that happens, try increasing the voltage slightly and if your able to boot into windows, check the stability again. rinse and repeat. anyway, my limit for the voltage is 1.5v. once i hit that. i stop ocing. just making sure im in the safe zone. :) 

idk if it matters but im using AMD overdrive to help me out, im at 3.4 ghz, i just wanna go up to about 3.6-3.7, any suggestions? also if anyone else has any "rules of thumb" when overclocking i whould be aware of, please speak up... i love knowing more about what im doing preferably before i do it.
!