Applications Crashing on Startup - HD5770 + Intel HD Graphics 3000

Kralnor

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Not sure if this is the right forum to post in as I'm not even certain of the root of my problem, but here goes.

I have recently done a near full system upgrade, my current build looks as such:

ASRock Z68 Extreme4
Core i5 2500k
8GB DDR3 Kingston 1600 CL9
XFX HD 5770
128GB C300
2TB Hitachi HDD
Asus Xonar DS
Corsair 620HX PSU

Now, for the initial installation of Windows 7 x64, I had not plugged neither the Hitachi HDD nor the XFX 5770 in. I loaded it up, installed all drivers and everything seemed to be working fine.
Then, I installed the HDD and the discrete video card and the troubles began. After installing Catalyst 11.6, some applications simply started crashing when I tried launching them - for instance MSN Live Messenger and Steam. Also, flash doesn't seem to work at all - it simply crashes in Firefox 5 when I try to view a video on YouTube, for instance.

I tried uninstalling the Catalyst driver and everything worked fine once again. I also tried using Catalyst 11.5, but with the same result.

I also had some issues installing the Eltron 3.0 USB Driver - everything simply locked up in Windows when I tried to do so. I have since disabled USB 3.0 in the BIOS as I don't have devices that make use of USB 3.0 anyway.

I have run a full pass of memtest86 and about half an hour of prime95, both of which gave no errors.

Any ideas what might be going on?