New build cycles on and off

Last response: in Systems
September 3, 2011 3:51:26 AM

I'm breadboard testing my new build.
Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3
Intel 2500k
Kingston HyperX 12800
cheap Xion 450w case/PSU

With CPU/HSF and RAM installed, it only powers up for a second (CPU and PSU fans start spinning), no POST, and shuts down. It cycles on again a couple seconds later, and shuts down again.

With only CPU/HSF installed, I get repeating long beeps for about 20 secs and then power down. After 5 secs, it tries again.

Ideas?

More about : build cycles

a b à CPUs
September 3, 2011 6:02:41 PM

Check out this post:
Troubleshooting post on the forum.

It will most likely list every issue you might run into.

I would recommend clearing CMOS first, just to make sure it doesn't have some odd settings on it.
Second make sure you have the CPU power connected ( 8 pin connector ).

Obviously the PSU can be crap and faulty, so if you have a 2nd one to try with that would be nice.
Overall though the link has all that listed, so hopefully you will be able to determine your problem.
m
l
September 4, 2011 10:34:53 PM

yeah, i've gone through that thread. cleared the cmos, and the cpu power is ok.

The odd thing is it still cycles on/off without memory installed, but it does have time to POST, which it doesn't when memory is installed.

I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and order a new case/PSU.

Thanks for your help.
m
l
Related resources
a c 172 à CPUs
September 5, 2011 8:47:26 AM

System will not successfully POST (single short beep) without good memory installed.
m
l
September 5, 2011 8:56:01 AM

alhounos said:
yeah, i've gone through that thread. cleared the cmos, and the cpu power is ok.

The odd thing is it still cycles on/off without memory installed, but it does have time to POST, which it doesn't when memory is installed.

I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and order a new case/PSU.

Thanks for your help.

alot of mobos will flash red when u turn it on (look near the ram).. if it doesnt go green it means the rams not reading right and does not mean your psu is bad.. why would the case make a difference?

also do you have a GPU installed? If so which 1? 430W PSU could be the problem if you have a GPU
m
l
September 12, 2011 12:07:34 AM

thanks guys, but the problem turned out to be the motherboard. sent it back and the replacement works.

However, it only boots into linux with my SSD. windows 7 refuses to boot. but that may be another thread.
m
l
!