My Gamecube's dying

Hi all,
For the past few weeks now I've been randomly getting the dreaded
message "An error has occurred. Turn the Power Off and check the
Nintendo GameCube Instruction Booklet for further instructions." while
playing. Seems to happen when it loading something. Has anyone managed
to fix this themselves without sending it in for repairs?

Jim

"jimini" <jimini10nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> For the past few weeks now I've been randomly getting the dreaded
> message "An error has occurred. Turn the Power Off and check the
> Nintendo GameCube Instruction Booklet for further instructions." while
> playing. Seems to happen when it loading something. Has anyone managed
> to fix this themselves without sending it in for repairs?
>
> Jim

I had to sell mine and buy a new one and I *am* mechanically inclined.

did u clean the eye with a q-tip? sometimes it's the game. happened to
my boys' super smash bros. got too scratched.

> "jimini" <jimini10nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>> For the past few weeks now I've been randomly getting the dreaded
>> message "An error has occurred. Turn the Power Off and check the
>> Nintendo GameCube Instruction Booklet for further instructions." while
>> playing. Seems to happen when it loading something. Has anyone managed
>> to fix this themselves without sending it in for repairs?
>>
>> Jim
>
> I had to sell mine and buy a new one and I *am* mechanically inclined.

I sometimes wonder what some people do to their Game Systems to make things
like this happen. I bought my Gamecube a week or so after launch, taken it
appart a few times (US/Japanese mod and to paint it) and moved it back and
forth between my home and a friends a hundred times, and have only had a
Disk Read Error once (the five game Prievew disk).

The paint job: http://home.comcast.net/~6521ordnut/HellCube.html

"TheLightsAreOn" <fake@thisaddress.com> wrote in message news:Xns963A84E5BAE43fakethisaddresscom@216.196.97.136...

> > "jimini" <jimini10nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi all,
> >> For the past few weeks now I've been randomly getting the dreaded
> >> message "An error has occurred. Turn the Power Off and check the
> >> Nintendo GameCube Instruction Booklet for further instructions." while
> >> playing. Seems to happen when it loading something. Has anyone managed
> >> to fix this themselves without sending it in for repairs?
> >>
> >> Jim
> >
> > I had to sell mine and buy a new one and I *am* mechanically inclined.
> >

> I sometimes wonder what some people do to their Game Systems to make things
> like this happen. I bought my Gamecube a week or so after launch, taken it
> appart a few times (US/Japanese mod and to paint it) and moved it back and
> forth between my home and a friends a hundred times, and have only had a
> Disk Read Error once (the five game Prievew disk).
>
> The paint job: http://home.comcast.net/~6521ordnut/HellCube.html

I had a 1st gen. It just sat there.

TheLightsAreOn wrote:
>>"jimini" <jimini10nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>For the past few weeks now I've been randomly getting the dreaded
>>>message "An error has occurred. Turn the Power Off and check the
>>>Nintendo GameCube Instruction Booklet for further instructions." while
>>>playing. Seems to happen when it loading something. Has anyone managed
>>>to fix this themselves without sending it in for repairs?
>>>
>>>Jim
>>
>>I had to sell mine and buy a new one and I *am* mechanically inclined.
>>

> I sometimes wonder what some people do to their Game Systems to make things
> like this happen. I bought my Gamecube a week or so after launch, taken it
> appart a few times (US/Japanese mod and to paint it) and moved it back and
> forth between my home and a friends a hundred times, and have only had a
> Disk Read Error once (the five game Prievew disk).
>
> The paint job: http://home.comcast.net/~6521ordnut/HellCube.html

The only thing I've done is install the broadband adapter. Never opened
it up, but am considering it. I'm wondering whether there's a fan broken
or dust building up inside causing it to overheat.

> TheLightsAreOn wrote:

>>>I had to sell mine and buy a new one and I *am* mechanically
>>>inclined.
>>>

>> I sometimes wonder what some people do to their Game Systems to make
>> things like this happen. I bought my Gamecube a week or so after
>> launch, taken it appart a few times (US/Japanese mod and to paint it)
>> and moved it back and forth between my home and a friends a hundred
>> times, and have only had a Disk Read Error once (the five game
>> Prievew disk).
>>
>> The paint job: http://home.comcast.net/~6521ordnut/HellCube.html
>
> The only thing I've done is install the broadband adapter. Never
> opened it up, but am considering it. I'm wondering whether there's a
> fan broken or dust building up inside causing it to overheat.

That is very possable. If you are willing to spend a few dollars before
taking your Gamecube apart, try one of these:

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=80&products_id=2885&

It is an exernal fan.

Jim I wrote:
> did u clean the eye with a q-tip? sometimes it's the game. happened to
> my boys' super smash bros. got too scratched.

Might try cleaning the eye. It's happened in three games now and I take
care of my discs, so it's definitely the console.