Sign in with
Your question

HD4670 1GB AGP driver (?)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 2, 2011 1:47:22 PM

I just bought an HD4670 1GB AGP video card and finding a suitable driver has been a nightmare; the card came with driver 9.9 (8.650) and no matter which driver I try, there's always something that driver doesn't do acceptably. I have so far limited my search to drivers which incorporate AGP hotfixes. Would a fix similar to that which I've highlighted below (I came across it in a two-year-old thread) be applicable to my card? Or have things changed enough in two years to render it ineffective.
Super Jamie said:
I've got one of these cards running in an old P4, and it works great. Annihilates any other AGP card, took me from 1002 in 3DMark03 to over 25000.

Either download the Catalyst Hotfix drivers (which AMD fully does support and update regularly) and CCC/WDM/Avivo separately, or just get the official Catalyst drivers and add a line to the INF file identical to the normal 3850's, but change the Device ID from 9505 (PCIe 3850) to 9515 (AGP 3850). Like this:

"ATI Radeon HD 3850 AGP" = ati2mtag_RV630, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9515

This dinosaur thanks the modern world in advance.

GSG

More about : hd4670 1gb agp driver

July 2, 2011 2:59:22 PM

Thank you, Mactronix, but I've been messing with this thing since I received the card on 6/13 which, coincidentally, is the date of the page's last update, and I've been directed there by at least three diverse (I thought) sources. They always point to 11.6, which locks my old CRT into 640 x 480 @ 4(!!)-bit color with the Okay, Cancel, and whatever other buttons completely unreachable off-screen, necessitating disabling of the HD4670 so the onboard graphics can at least give me a screen that I can read.

So, I looked to rather obscure sources.....maybe I'll find a disgruntled former employee of (company name here) who wants to let some cats out of the bag.

Thanks again;

Gregg
Related resources
July 2, 2011 3:56:08 PM

What Operating system are you using ? I have used Omega drivers(just Google it) in the past when doing image quality testing and have had some decent results with them. it was a while back but i would say they were better than ATI drivers.
The reason i asked about the OS is because last time i checked (about a month ago) they had yet to support W7
Worth a punt.

Mactronix :) 

July 2, 2011 4:36:43 PM

mactronix said:
What Operating system are you using ? I have used Omega drivers(just Google it) in the past when doing image quality testing and have had some decent results with them.

I'm unfamiliar with Omega; I read the name maybe an hour ago and intended to do just that (Google) as soon as I catch up on some sleep.

My system; primitive: XP-MCE, Celeron D-330J @2.66GHz on ECS 661FX-M7 (no PCI-e), GeForce 6200 512MB (until replaced by the new HD4670 which is the source of all the consternation). 'Jumping' from 512mB DDR2 to 1GB DDR3 and 4.4GB/sec to 25.6GB/sec bandwidth should have me kicking butt (by comparison). However, I'm not only failing to realize the expected improvement, but experiencing issues that the lowly predecessor didn't present. For instance, I just gave up on a FullTilt! Pinball Space Cadet game (severe plunger/flipper lag) that played flawlessly on this same new card a few hours ago.

After a thorough reading of the 'fine print', I realize that Amazon's return policy is not nearly as "no questions asked" as a few of my friends had seemed to imply; since I am therefore stuck with this thing, I'm trying to find a way to make it live up to at least part of its statistical potential.

Gregg
July 2, 2011 4:48:10 PM

Take a look at your motherboard manual if you have one, or look on the website. Its possible that the board isn't 100% compatible. There could be a Bios update that might help ? I have had this issue before with a board revolving around overclocking options for a newer CPU.
Let us know how it goes.

Mactronix :) 
!