Sign in with
Your question

Freeze - forced to reset

Last response: in Systems
September 3, 2011 6:09:06 AM

My computer usually runs like a champion. I get many hours of great use out of it with no major issues or hiccups.

Yesterday my Dads PC stopped working after a power failure and I took on trouble shooting his PC. After various attempts I came to the conclusion it was either the MoBo or Video card. so i borrowed a card from my PC (listed below) and it still didnt work (it turned out to be the MoBo on his)

My issue now is, I have reassembled my PC, video cards back in cross fire cable connected, screwed in tight, etc.

After roughly 15-20 min of any game play my system will freeze up and force me to restart the machine. I have a Windows Home Server set up and i restored my computer back to before this event. I have updated all of the drivers for the PC.. from A-Z chipset, video card, hard drive... all of it...

I cannot for the life of me figure out why my system is unstable now. I have to assume its from the video card swap - that would be the only thing to have changed this week. and the system is very stable for internet purposes and general work. But anytime i put a graphical load on the machine it will fail.

I have check the temps and i am getting around 60 degrees C. while playing - may teeter give or take a degree.

I ask of you, Tom's forums goers... any ideas? Tips? Etc?

Thank you in advance!

ASUS Rampage III Formula LGA 1366 (MoBo)
Intel Core I7 -950 3.6ghz Bloomfield (CPU)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (RAM 8g total)
Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 ( Video card)
Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 (Crossfire 2nd card)
750w power supply
40g Intel Solid State Drive (OS + Drivers)
80g Intel Solid State Drive (Programs)
1TB Hardrive (files etc)
Finally the case is an Antec 1200.
Windows 7 64b Ultimate

More about : freeze forced reset

September 3, 2011 6:41:43 AM

Typo - It get to about 70Degrees C under full load. not 60.
m
l
September 3, 2011 7:36:14 AM

Guess the answer to the above question:
A) The second video card was not seated properly, thus the game would glitch after a while.
B) The cards were over heating, even though it said 70Degrees C.
C) I was testing the cards on StarCraft2... with Crossfire enabled.
(please note that SC2 does not support xfire.)

If you guessed C.. you were right.. ...

m
l
!