P-Live! v. MP3+5.1 ?

G

OK, what are the real differences between the SB Platinum Live! 5.1 and the Gaming or MP3+ 5.1 other than the front breakout-box?
For use in a PC HomeTheater setting, both claim full 5.1 encoding, S/pdif outputs, and performance. I guess the remote would be nice, but not critical.
Are the outputs on the breakout really needed in-so-far as DVD playback or gaming? In reviews of MidiLand/Kenwood and other 5.1 systems that don't offer separate rear channels for gaming, the Platinum is said to offer 5.1 output from stereo sourcing via DirX, but doesn't the MP3+ 5.1 as well?
Any other compelling reason in favor of the Platinum?

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Unless you are doing heavy-duty sound recording or are a musician of some type, I would go for the X-gamer. It comes with 4 really nice games, which if you purchased individually would cost over $150.
I would go with the $150 in games and a good sound card over a sound card that comes with no games and front panel connectors that you will probably never use.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would go for the mp3+ because of the really nice hardware audio encoding acceleration which the x-gamer doesnt have. and yes while the x-gamer comes with 4 games, only 2 are decent, and if you werent planning on buying them, why get the product just to have them?

TBird 800 - Asus A7V 1004d
256 PC133 - WD 10BG ATA66
Voodoo3 2000 - SB PCI 128

Hellsbellboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have the MP3+5.1 and it's great, even though I only have two speakers and a subwoofer. And actually I only use my headphones cause my girlfriend says my games make too much noise. I think either the gamer or the MP3 will be good, but of course it depends on what you do, I like to make a listen to MP3's and the MP3+5.1 comes with some good software for that.