Need Help Starting 2600k Overclocking

tokadub

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
So I just set up my 2600k build last night. I am using this motherboard and ram:

ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131792

Gskill 1600 ddr3:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428&cm_mmc=BF2011_listing-_-147-_-N82E16820231428&nm_mc=BF2011_listing

So this is my first time overclocking Intel, and I am using the newish UEFI Bios. I am completely unfamiliar with specific Intel overclocking settings and this Bios. However, I have a solid understanding of the basic overclocking principles like voltage, temps, stability testing, etc.

So I have a few questions:

-My old CPU did not have an unlocked multiplier so I have no experience of using multipliers rather then FSB. Since I now have a multiplier should I just use that by itself? Or do many people use combinations of MULTI and FSB even with Intel 2500k or 2600ks?

- Right now everything is on stock. What is a really low (yet reasonable) voltage level to start at so I can move slowly up from stock speeds and voltage?

-Do I need to turn off turbo boost?

-I guess basically what are all the settings you should change right off the bat if your at stock in UEFI Bios? I am prepared to make a slow trek upwards in my voltage and speed. But I need a starting point of what settings need to be adjusted to begin with.

I will be continuing to research and try to find out everything about overclocking Intel. But right now I am just beginning and hopefully I can get some good answers to accelerate this process. Thanks for all the help!

tokadub

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
OK, so I am definitely liking how easy it is to overclock with a multiplier. All I have really done so far is up the multiplier from 38. I started at 39, and am going up 1 every time. So right now I am working on 44 which is 4.4 GHZ turbo boost.

I have left pretty much everything else on the default settings in the bios, except I had to reset the ram to 1600 so the timings were correct.

I did notice however that the default voltage is pretty high. So I am using the offset voltage settings with the + and - adjustments to the CPU voltage.

So now I am wondering if my results (settings) at 4.4 GHZ are typical or good/bad right now. I am at offset voltage + .015volts.

I am a little confused about the voltage settings in Intel. When I first launch my bios it says CPU 1.152volts. When I run Prime 95 it says my voltage is 1.272v in CPU-z. However my temperatures in CoreTemp is reaching 75 degrees Celsius which is causing me some concern.

-So is CPU-z an accurate voltage monitor? Or is another program better?

-Is 1.272v good for 4.4 GHZ?

-Is CoreTemp accurate for the temperatures? Or is another program better?

-Why is my temperature maxing at 75 degrees Celsius even with a voltage reading of 1.272v? Is this typical of a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus? And is this temperature even safe? I thought 72 degrees was the max?

-It sort of looks like my cpu is really good with voltage, but my CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus is not good enough?

87ninefiveone

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Is that 75'C measured under load or just at idle?

If you're at idle then you need to reapply thermal paste and reseat your heatsink becuase it's not on there right. Core temp and most other common hardware monitors are usually quite accurate.

tokadub

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
That's the prime95 load temperature, and the highest I've got it to go so far. So far it hasn't exceeded 72 degrees except in prime95. Idling at 35-40 degrees. If I am playing battlefield 3 and streaming it can go up to high 60s or even 70 but once I alt tab out of the game it drops immediately like 20 degrees. So it seems the cooler is seated properly. It just has trouble cooling my processor at this clock speed and max load.

So I probably will be under 72 degrees except very rare occasions. But would it be better to try to stay as far away from 72 degrees altogether to prolong the life span? I am debating trying out water cooling, but if anything under 72 doesn't shorten the lifespan maybe I don't need it?

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

I'm not sure if you have stated this but what cooler are you using, if it's the default one I do recommend buying a Hyper 212+ It's cheap as chips and does the job. I have heard it's great. If that does not wet you appetite then the Noctua NH D14 is always there to rape your processor ;)

Those temps are high with your 212+ although they are just within the safe max temp of 72.6°C. Messing with Vcore (lowering) could solve it. Is the Vcore still on Auto or manual?

tokadub

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
I can't lower the Vcore any lower and get 4.4 GHZ. Right now I am using offset voltage +.015v. My CPU-z is reporting 1.272v when I start Prime 95 @ 4.4GHZ.

This is also a concern for me. It seems like that's a great voltage for 4.4 GHZ yet my temperatures are still so high.

I am using the Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus. Should I not even be able to exceed 72 degrees in prime95 with this cooler at 1.272v 4.4GHZ?

Maybe I actually put on a bit too much thermal paste? I know i screwed it in securely. I may be trying to re-seat it soon if I can find some other users results with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus that make my temps look bad.

tokadub

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Hmm interesting that may be all I need right now since I'm not much over 72 at max.

What are people's opinions about liquid cooling? It makes me nervous having liquid anywhere near my hardware components. But it seems these days so many people are using them they must have a very low leak rate.

What is the average max temperature for liquid cooling on a 2600k if they are around 4.5 GHZ?