Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need some advice on 2x Radeon HD 6870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 2, 2011 4:40:23 PM

I'm building my own computer as a summer project type thing, I set out a budget of $1500CAD which i can modify or w/e.

This is what I'm expecting my final build to look like:
- i5 2500k CPU
- ASUS P8Z68-V Pro MOBO
- 8GB RAM (only bought this because it was less than $60)
- 2x Radeon HD 6870
- 500 GB HDD (I'm going to get this for free with OS)
- SSD (once I find a decent deal)
- Some PSU
- Some Case
- Some aftermarket CPU cooler

Currently: I spent $600 from the $1500, the items bought are italicized. So i have $900 to spend, and my next purchase I plan to make it on the 2x Radeon HD 6870. Problem is that there a few good deals out on them, but you are limited to buying 1(atleast on ncix).

This is where I need the advice, I don't know how long most of these deals last (deals aren't that huge to begin with, maybe $10~$50). So I don't know if I should buy 1 and hope to find another deal on the same card elsewhere. Or is I should mix and match, like getting 1 card from xfx and another from sapphire. Or if I should buy 1 card from NCIX and one from newegg/memory express/etc... Or maybe do something different entirely.

More about : advice radeon 6870

July 2, 2011 4:59:10 PM

Well thats kind of your call really. Personally i would get both at the same time from the same place to save paying out on two lots of postage at least.
If you end up getting two different cards put the one with the better cooling above the other as heat rises and it might be a small amount but it will help with temps. Usually the top card is a few degrees hotter than the bottom one.

Mactronix :) 
Score
July 2, 2011 6:53:48 PM

One monitor or more? You can get one video card and wait for the new Radeon 7000 series in the fall.
Score
Related resources
July 2, 2011 7:14:27 PM

mosox said:
One monitor or more? You can get one video card and wait for the new Radeon 7000 series in the fall.

Going to go for 3 monitors, but with the 7000 series out. Will that drop the price for the 6000 series? and when is fall? Fall is like 1 month long (September) in my city :( 
Score
July 2, 2011 7:24:55 PM

Minute said:
Going to go for 3 monitors, but with the 7000 series out. Will that drop the price for the 6000 series? and when is fall? Fall is like 1 month long (September) in my city :( 

No, prices don't drop with new tech, they use the inflated prices of the old tech to raise/justify the price of the new tech. Thats how you will know the new stuff is on its way, the price of todays cards will rise a little.
They price the new tech so close to the old it makes the old not worth getting while making the new a bad value proposition. :fou: 

Thats not a strictly true constant but its a solid general trend. It seems to be concentrated around the midrange where most of the sales are.

Mactronix :) 
Score
July 2, 2011 9:37:41 PM

For 3 monitors you definitely need 2GB video card(s).
Score
July 3, 2011 7:58:30 PM

mosox said:
For 3 monitors you definitely need 2GB video card(s).

Why will I need 2GB cards?
Score

Best solution

July 3, 2011 8:32:01 PM

Minute said:
Why will I need 2GB cards?

You don't NEED two 2gb cards, but that is definitly recommended. At 3 monitor resolutions, the 3gb memory buffer is really put into good use. There is a notable increase in fps when using 2gb cards instead of 1gb cards. Also, when you xfire, you don't add the amount of memories together. You end up using the lowest amount from whichever card. This is why you cant get away with 1gb and a 2 gb card in xfire.

IMO for 3xmonitor resolutions, I would go with 2x HD 6950's at 2gb's a piece.
July 3, 2011 9:03:58 PM

bleh, I'm going to ahve to increase my budget now. But I guess its a good thing, I really like the direction the build is heading to for now.
Score
July 3, 2011 9:37:49 PM

2x 6950's (2gb) would be good for 3 monitors. They can be BIOS uinlocked to 6950's also.
Score
July 9, 2011 12:52:34 AM

Best answer selected by Minute.
Score
July 9, 2011 12:21:16 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!