Slim case blues

babajijr

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Hello,
I have a dell 531 slim .I think Ive looked through every thread on here.Ive come to the conclusion that I might just put a 550w power supply(20$) and a radeon 5770 (70$) In and leave the case side off and the PSU outside instead of shelling out $120-150 on a low profile card thats less powerful and 50 bucks for a 300w tfx PSU.Is this doable? Thanx

leonkennedy_7

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
get cooler master 310 or any similar case to fit ur components in case leaving the side cover off will not be good for temperatures and you might end up damaging the card and running a psu out side case can be dangerous.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Dang. Wish I'd have seen that PSU back when I had my HTPC. Wiht 2 +12V rails @ 18A each, it's not too bad for its size. I see they also make a 350W model with a single +12V rail @ 29A. I wonder if one of those cables is a PCIe power cable?

You'd have to move up to this model if you want a 6 pin pcie.
Seasonic SS-400ET
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=30145&vpn=SS%2D400ET&manufacture=Seasonic%20Electronics
Obviously doesn't fit a slim case though.ATX

babajijr

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
So I did the mod (and its a used high end 20 dollar PSU by the way blue LEDs good amps on the 12v etc)
Bought the parts off Craigslist vid card too good deal.Running great with HD monitor.
Running E.scrolls Skyrim on high. Soon I will just move it all to another case.Just had to take the little connector plate off the back of the card.
Heres a list of the latest low profile cards by the way for any one looking... http://www.squidoo.com/best-low-profile-video-graphics-cards-for-gaming-2011-pci-express
You can find most of these on pricewatch.com thnx for the help peeps!

There is no such thing as a high end 20 dollar PSU, blue LEDs merely make it shiny not good. More crappy units have glowy fans than good units. I would be very careful about running on a $20 PSU for an extended period of time.

Glad that the case mod worked so you can use your system, just do pay attention if things start behaving weird, the PSU may die.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I think he is saying it is a 'high end' PSU that he bought used for $20. It might indeed be a good PSU... or not.

babajijr

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
hehe yes "used' being key here."high end" maybe a bit strong but its decent dual rails, yes a bit flashy.I dloaded Speedfan to check temps on everything also. running cool.