Need help to review my first build plan

aeeyy

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
Hello to everyone here in TH,

I decided on a home build several months ago and I came accross TH when I was doing my research on the internet. God, this place is good! :)
And I decided to spend some time to learn as much as I could before purchasing. I have read a lots of the articles, stickies over and over, however I still don't have too much faith in building one on my own. (I had some difficulties understanding since English is not my mother tongue).

Here is some information about my build: (hopefully I'm following the forum standards correctly :) )

Approximate Purchase Date: no later than Sep 2011. The earlier the better.

Budget Range: it's really hard to say since the price of the same components differs greatly here in China (I hate that).

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Watching movies, programming,

Parts Not Required: Mouse, keyboard, speaker, OS,

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: NewEgg is not a prefereed website here. I will use other popular websites in China instead.

Country of Origin: mainland China

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to use an AMD CPU & Biostar mobo with a 24" LCD and full tower case)

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I would like a PC that can last me for at least 3 - 4 years

Here is what I had put together:
CPU: Intel i5 2500k - 1599 CNY (Chinese YUAN)
Memory: G.SKILLDDR3 1600 8G(4G×2) (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL) - 389 CNY
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA- P67A-D3-B3 (INTEL P67/LGA 1155) - 849 CNY
GPU: HD6850 1G 775/4000 1024M/256 GDDR5 PCI-E - 989 CNY
HDD: Seagate 1TB ST31000524AS 7200RPM 32M SATA 6Gb/s - 419 CNY
Monitor: DELL UltraSharp U2311H 23In's - 1399 CNY
Optical Device: ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24x DVD-burner - 149 CNY
CASE: LIAN LI PC-K58 Mid-tower (black) - 479 CNY
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-850HXCN 850W 80PLUS-silver APFC - 1259 CNY
HSF: need help.

Here are my questions:
1. Is there any outstanding compatibility issues in my build?
2. Am I choosing the correct PSU? I felt I spent too much but this is the only one I can find in China that is Ranked 1.
3. Any suggestions on the HSF? I don't really know which to choose.
4. Do I have major bottleneck issues?
5. Any other suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated.

Sorry about all the questions but I do have a lot of questions. :) It's really not an easy thing to learn all of these and get every detail straight.

Solution
1. Everything seems to be compatible.
2. The PSU is overkill even for Crossfire 6850, but then it is a nice investment for the future.
7 year warranty with the hx850 is great, and the PSU is great, I have 2 of them.
So I can't find fault in that selection.
My recommendation for cooler depending on availability would be:

Cooler Master Hyper 212+
or
Scythe Mugen 3

Both work great in cooling and come with thermal paste.
Scythe Mugen 3 makes less noise, both work great.
4. You could probably use a beefier graphics card, but there are no actual bottlenecks.
Well other than HDD performance which pretty much is a bottleneck without an SSD.
But HDD won't really affect gaming performance for example.
5. Depending on prices look for an...

rvilkman

Distinguished
1. Everything seems to be compatible.
2. The PSU is overkill even for Crossfire 6850, but then it is a nice investment for the future.
7 year warranty with the hx850 is great, and the PSU is great, I have 2 of them.
So I can't find fault in that selection.
My recommendation for cooler depending on availability would be:

Cooler Master Hyper 212+
or
Scythe Mugen 3

Both work great in cooling and come with thermal paste.
Scythe Mugen 3 makes less noise, both work great.
4. You could probably use a beefier graphics card, but there are no actual bottlenecks.
Well other than HDD performance which pretty much is a bottleneck without an SSD.
But HDD won't really affect gaming performance for example.
5. Depending on prices look for an upgrade of graphics to one of the following:
Radeon HD 6870/6950
NVidia GTX460/560/560Ti

Any of the above is an upgrade for you, and if you can get the upgrade for a decent price then it might be worth it for you.
You can use the anantech.com bench to check for differences in performance between 6850 and the cards i recommended and see if the upgrade is worth the price difference.

Solution