6970 Overclock Question

gjvah

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Hello guys, first of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and try to help in advance. Here's some background, hopefully I cover everything (I understand information is needed to provide feedback)

Here's what's relevant as far as I can tell; the case is CoolerMaster HAF-X, with very good airflow (added fans for a total of 2x200mm + 1x180mm intake, 2x200mm + 1x180mm exhaust).

CPU is AMD Phenom 1100t which is liquid cooled with a Corsair H60, radiator sandwiched by 2 Logisys SF-120 fans, to keep the internal case temps as low as possible.

All the cables are ran behind the motherboard, to provide maximum airflow for the GPU (6970).

Now, the main question. When I bought my card (Diamond 6970), it didn't look anything like the regular card. The normal 6970 has one fan and mine had two. After some research I discovered it looks identical to the Powercolor 6970, which looks like this:

PowerColor-HD6970-PCS%2B2-GB.jpg

Now, the Powercolor comes overclocked from factory.

"The PowerColor PCS+ Radeon HD 6970 features an overclocked AMD Radeon HD 6970 GPU with 2GB of GDDR5. Out of the box, the GPU comes clocked at 940MHz, which is a 60MHz increase over AMD's reference specification of 880MHz. The memory is clocked at 1425MHz (or 5.7GHz DDR), which is a 50MHz increase over AMD's reference specification."

My card on the other hand, despite being physically identical to the PowerColor version, is running on stock clock speeds. So, my question is, if I increase the clocks to the level of the PowerColor card, am I risking to fry my card? Right now I have, and it seems to be stable, I just wanted some opinions from people who are way more knowledgeable than me in the field (most of you guys) just top be able to sleep calmly.

Thanks again for your time. :hello:

-V-