Should I get Metroid Prime 2 Echoes or Resident Evil 4?

I own Metroid Prime and I was absolutely stunned by the sheer gameplay
it provided. It was fun, challenging, and the weapons were cool. Now,
I am researching on Resident Evil 4 and it seems to be getting rave
reviews. I have never played any Resident Evil games before and I was
wondering whether or not should I RE4 instead of Metroid Prime 2? And
also, is RE4 really that scary? Oh, and is there anything else to do
once you complete RE4? I mean, once I completed Metroid Prime there
was pretty much nothing else to do. In other words, Metroid Prime got
boring. I know that Metroid Prime 2 has multiplayer but I do not
really care that much for multiplayer.
22 answers Last reply
More about should metroid prime echoes resident evil
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Gotta argree..RE4 is fantastic!Scary? oh hell yeah! Fun? same answer!
    Honestly.....I think it's the best Gamecube game out. Looking forward
    to RE5......
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    In article <2000d674.0504162243.71e8d9f5@posting.google.com>, Nelly wrote:
    >I own Metroid Prime and I was absolutely stunned by the sheer gameplay
    >it provided. It was fun, challenging, and the weapons were cool. Now,
    >I am researching on Resident Evil 4 and it seems to be getting rave
    >reviews. I have never played any Resident Evil games before and I was
    >wondering whether or not should I RE4 instead of Metroid Prime 2? And
    >also, is RE4 really that scary? Oh, and is there anything else to do
    >once you complete RE4? I mean, once I completed Metroid Prime there
    >was pretty much nothing else to do. In other words, Metroid Prime got
    >boring. I know that Metroid Prime 2 has multiplayer but I do not
    >really care that much for multiplayer.

    MP2 is one helluva game. It's gotta be at least 30% longer, and I think
    they improved on pretty much everything. I sank a good 60+ hours into it.
    That kicks major ass in these days when a game is considered good if it has
    20hrs average (which I seem to fall around on most games--average).

    If you liked MP, you'll love MP2. As the reviews cite, it's not
    groundbreaking, but the reviews also bitched about a lot of things that
    aren't worth mentioning. I think they were going out of their way to
    complain. Personally--I -liked- the dark world. And the whole thing was
    more puzzle-esque in a way. It was deeper gameplay.

    RE4--I still haven't gotten up the nerve to try. I hated the last RE I
    played (RE:CVX on my PS2), and RE3:Nemesis wasn't all that good. I hear
    many of my complaints about RE's interface have been addressed, so I may
    yet get it--right after I go beat Viewtiful Joe, and then Call to Duty.

    --
    Vorxion - Founder of the knocking-shop of the mind.

    "You have it, you sell it, you've still got it--what's the difference?"
    --Diana Trent, "Waiting for God", on why a modelling agency is really a
    knocking-shop. Applied by me to the field of consulting. :)

    The Sci-Fi fan's solution to debt: Reverse the polarity on your charge card.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    "Nelly" <Nelly_9834@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I own Metroid Prime and I was absolutely stunned by the sheer gameplay
    > it provided. It was fun, challenging, and the weapons were cool. Now,
    > I am researching on Resident Evil 4 and it seems to be getting rave
    > reviews. I have never played any Resident Evil games before and I was
    > wondering whether or not should I RE4 instead of Metroid Prime 2? And
    > also, is RE4 really that scary? Oh, and is there anything else to do
    > once you complete RE4? I mean, once I completed Metroid Prime there
    > was pretty much nothing else to do. In other words, Metroid Prime got
    > boring. I know that Metroid Prime 2 has multiplayer but I do not
    > really care that much for multiplayer.

    That is one tough question. Those are two of the best games out there.
    Prime 2 is every bit as good as Prime 1, and if you liked that, you
    certainly can't go wrong there. But I really have to tip the scales--ever
    so slightly, perhaps--to RE4. It will impress you, I have no doubt. It's
    an incredible game, and a complete work of art, just like Metroid Prime, and
    similar in some ways. The world is constructed with so much attention to
    detail, not built out of cookie-cutter parts with a fast-and-easy level
    editor like so many games. The enemies will surprise you, and the bosses
    are extraordinary. Once you complete it, yes, it has a couple of extra
    modes. One's called Mercenaries, which is an adrenaline-fest and a great
    extra. The other is an extra mini-mission set in the world of the normal
    game.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Thanks for the replies. I am leaning towards RE4 now. Like someone
    said here, it would be good to try something new(seeing how MP2 is
    mostly the same as MP1). I have seen video clips of RE4 and I really
    like how the camera angle is used in the game(the "over the shoulder"
    angle). And it looks very challenging. Is RE4 better if you play it on
    wide-screen? I have a full-screen TV and I was wondering if this
    matters at all whether or not gameplay is increased on wide-screen TV.

    Any more replies would be greatly appreciated.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    "Vorxion" <vorxion@knockingshopofthemind.com> wrote in message

    > RE4--I still haven't gotten up the nerve to try. I hated the last RE I
    > played (RE:CVX on my PS2), and RE3:Nemesis wasn't all that good. I hear
    > many of my complaints about RE's interface have been addressed, so I may
    > yet get it--right after I go beat Viewtiful Joe, and then Call to Duty.

    RE4 is *far* better than any previous RE. I had just about given up on
    the series until now.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Nelly wrote:
    > I own Metroid Prime and I was absolutely stunned by the sheer gameplay
    > it provided. It was fun, challenging, and the weapons were cool. Now,
    > I am researching on Resident Evil 4 and it seems to be getting rave
    > reviews. I have never played any Resident Evil games before and I was
    > wondering whether or not should I RE4 instead of Metroid Prime 2? And
    > also, is RE4 really that scary? Oh, and is there anything else to do
    > once you complete RE4? I mean, once I completed Metroid Prime there
    > was pretty much nothing else to do. In other words, Metroid Prime got
    > boring. I know that Metroid Prime 2 has multiplayer but I do not
    > really care that much for multiplayer.

    I recommend getting RE4. I'm playing now. I've only played a little MP
    and no MP2, but some reviews have said MP2 is just more of MP, but with
    less variation in settings. So, if you want to try something new get
    RE4. It's so good, I can almost guarantee you'll like.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Nelly wrote:
    > I own Metroid Prime and I was absolutely stunned by the sheer gameplay
    > it provided. It was fun, challenging, and the weapons were cool. Now,
    > I am researching on Resident Evil 4 and it seems to be getting rave
    > reviews. I have never played any Resident Evil games before and I was
    > wondering whether or not should I RE4 instead of Metroid Prime 2? And
    > also, is RE4 really that scary? Oh, and is there anything else to do
    > once you complete RE4? I mean, once I completed Metroid Prime there
    > was pretty much nothing else to do. In other words, Metroid Prime got
    > boring. I know that Metroid Prime 2 has multiplayer but I do not
    > really care that much for multiplayer.

    RE4. MP2 is basically more of the same, so RE4 will be a refreshing change,
    get MP2 after RE4.

    Even if you hated the previous RE games (I certainly did), RE4 is very
    different.

    --

    Burning_Ranger

    To email: aziz@aziz1removethispart.fsnet.co.uk
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    I have another question, I am hearing-impaired and was wondering if
    RE4 offers any subtitles or closed captioning in the game during when
    characters have conversations? That would be great!
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    > Thanks for the replies. I am leaning towards RE4 now. Like someone
    > said here, it would be good to try something new(seeing how MP2 is
    > mostly the same as MP1). I have seen video clips of RE4 and I really
    > like how the camera angle is used in the game(the "over the shoulder"
    > angle). And it looks very challenging. Is RE4 better if you play it on
    > wide-screen? I have a full-screen TV and I was wondering if this
    > matters at all whether or not gameplay is increased on wide-screen TV.
    >
    > Any more replies would be greatly appreciated.

    The game is "widescreen" by default; you can't change it. It's not true
    widescreen, just letterboxed 4:3. It looks great in any case.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    > I have another question, I am hearing-impaired and was wondering if
    > RE4 offers any subtitles or closed captioning in the game during when
    > characters have conversations? That would be great!

    Only during radio conversations, which is probably about half the time.
    However, a nice guy has posted a script over at gamefaqs. Here's the link:

    http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/file/resident_evil_4_script.txt
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    On 16 Apr 2005 23:43:29 -0700, Nelly <Nelly_9834@hotmail.com> revealed:
    > I own Metroid Prime and I was absolutely stunned by the sheer gameplay
    > it provided. It was fun, challenging, and the weapons were cool. Now,
    > I am researching on Resident Evil 4 and it seems to be getting rave
    > reviews. I have never played any Resident Evil games before and I was
    > wondering whether or not should I RE4 instead of Metroid Prime 2? And
    > also, is RE4 really that scary? Oh, and is there anything else to do
    > once you complete RE4? I mean, once I completed Metroid Prime there
    > was pretty much nothing else to do. In other words, Metroid Prime got
    > boring. I know that Metroid Prime 2 has multiplayer but I do not
    > really care that much for multiplayer.

    Oh, the agony of having to choose between the two greatest games ever.
    Get both!
    But if you can get only one... since you're hearing impaired, go for
    MP2. Sound is far more important in RE4 than it is in MP2.

    --

    Honesty never goes unpunished.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Here's my take on both of them. MP2 was an AMAZING game. RE4 would be
    the best game that has (or will) come out in 2005, if the new Legend of
    Zelda wasn't slated to come out this year! Both are VERY worthy of
    playing.

    the way that I differentiate them, is RE2 is a perfect game for the
    casual gamer. The controls aren't terribly difficult to remember, the
    story line is memorable and not convoluted to a point where you can
    take time inbetween gaming sessions (if you like) and still come back
    to the game and know where you left off and what you needed to do. MP2
    is more of a gamers game. You need to stick with it. Its worth sticking
    with, but the controls are a little more difficult, as there are more
    different funtions that Samus can do. The story line is hard to
    remember, the Map is HUGE and since you spend the entire game going
    back and forth between new and past levels as new doors open up via new
    weapons.

    Hopefully that helps a bit!

    Jimmy
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Nelly wrote:
    > I own Metroid Prime and I was absolutely stunned by the sheer gameplay
    > it provided. It was fun, challenging, and the weapons were cool. Now,
    > I am researching on Resident Evil 4 and it seems to be getting rave
    > reviews. I have never played any Resident Evil games before and I was
    > wondering whether or not should I RE4 instead of Metroid Prime 2? And
    > also, is RE4 really that scary? Oh, and is there anything else to do
    > once you complete RE4? I mean, once I completed Metroid Prime there
    > was pretty much nothing else to do. In other words, Metroid Prime got
    > boring. I know that Metroid Prime 2 has multiplayer but I do not
    > really care that much for multiplayer.

    Umm... get both! MP2 is an excellent game, so you don't want to miss
    out on it. Apparently RE4 is great, too. So just get both!
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Nelly_9834@hotmail.com (Nelly) writes:
    > I own Metroid Prime and I was absolutely stunned by the sheer gameplay
    > it provided. It was fun, challenging, and the weapons were cool. Now,
    > I am researching on Resident Evil 4 and it seems to be getting rave
    > reviews. I have never played any Resident Evil games before and I was
    > wondering whether or not should I RE4 instead of Metroid Prime 2?

    I own and have completed both.

    MP2 is excellent, and I am revisting it again (hard mode!) after a few months
    and am finding I am liking it even more.

    But RE4 is ... special. For a while I couldn't admit it since I am a loyal
    Metroid fan, but it really is the better game.

    I rented it, got hooked 5 minutes in, bought it the next day.

    Why not get both?

    > And also, is RE4 really that scary?

    It's not scary in terms of "boo!" moments, but it is seriously intense. It's
    more a feeling of dread and stress as you get surrounded and try to stay
    alive. The monsters and enemies are excellently done, there are many varied
    and creative ways your main character (Leon) can get killed.

    > Oh, and is there anything else to do once you complete RE4?

    Yes. There are extra assignments and mercenary missions that if you complete
    you can get uber-cool weapons to do another main run with. There is also a
    professional mode which is a fair bit for challenging and fun.

    --
    Cheers, The Rhythm is around me,
    The Rhythm has control.

    "Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> writes:
    > "Nelly" <Nelly_9834@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I have another question, I am hearing-impaired and was wondering if
    > > RE4 offers any subtitles or closed captioning in the game during when
    > > characters have conversations? That would be great!
    >
    > Only during radio conversations, which is probably about half the time.
    > However, a nice guy has posted a script over at gamefaqs. Here's the link:

    If you mean Leon's cell/vid phone calls, then they have subtitles. In fact if
    you hit the right button (B?) you can cut the dialog and step through just
    reading them.

    --
    Cheers, The Rhythm is around me,
    The Rhythm has control.
    Ray Blaak The Rhythm is inside me,
    rAYblaaK@STRIPCAPStelus.net The Rhythm has my soul.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Nelly wrote:

    > I own Metroid Prime and I was absolutely stunned by the sheer gameplay
    > it provided. It was fun, challenging, and the weapons were cool. Now,
    > I am researching on Resident Evil 4 and it seems to be getting rave
    > reviews. I have never played any Resident Evil games before and I was
    > wondering whether or not should I RE4 instead of Metroid Prime 2? And
    > also, is RE4 really that scary? Oh, and is there anything else to do
    > once you complete RE4? I mean, once I completed Metroid Prime there
    > was pretty much nothing else to do. In other words, Metroid Prime got
    > boring. I know that Metroid Prime 2 has multiplayer but I do not
    > really care that much for multiplayer.

    On the same subject, how long did it take you guys to beat either? I'm
    trying to decide myself (I eventually want to play both but want to know
    which to get first) which to get. It took me about 18 hours to beat MP
    at 100% (no walkthroughs).

    How does MP2 compare? How does RE4 compare? Longer? Shorter?
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Adnan <bekat@sympatico.ca> writes:
    > How does MP2 compare? How does RE4 compare? Longer? Shorter?

    My first MP1 run took me about 50 hours (I was enjoying the view, fully
    exploring, etc.). MP2 took me about 25, but my playing ability was much
    improved by then. MP2 feels bigger than MP1.

    RE4 took me about 30 hours or so my first time.

    I would say they are in the same ballpark lengthwise.

    Play MP2 first if you a hungry to continue the Samus experience. Play RE4 if
    you want a break for some refreshingly fun use of a shotgun.

    --
    Cheers, The Rhythm is around me,
    The Rhythm has control.
    Ray Blaak The Rhythm is inside me,
    rAYblaaK@STRIPCAPStelus.net The Rhythm has my soul.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    "Adnan" <bekat@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

    > On the same subject, how long did it take you guys to beat either? I'm
    > trying to decide myself (I eventually want to play both but want to know
    > which to get first) which to get. It took me about 18 hours to beat MP
    > at 100% (no walkthroughs).
    >
    > How does MP2 compare? How does RE4 compare? Longer? Shorter?

    Prime 2 took me 35 hours to beat with 100%. RE4 took me 20 hours, plus
    several deaths that don't count. I'd say Prime 2 was longer, but not by
    much. I've beaten them both faster now that I know what I'm doing, but
    Prime's number dropped quite a bit more than RE4's did, because RE4 is
    linear.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    > > On the same subject, how long did it take you guys to beat either? I'm
    > > trying to decide myself (I eventually want to play both but want to know
    > > which to get first) which to get. It took me about 18 hours to beat MP
    > > at 100% (no walkthroughs).
    > >
    > > How does MP2 compare? How does RE4 compare? Longer? Shorter?
    >
    > Prime 2 took me 35 hours to beat with 100%. RE4 took me 20 hours, plus
    > several deaths that don't count. I'd say Prime 2 was longer, but not by
    > much. I've beaten them both faster now that I know what I'm doing, but
    > Prime's number dropped quite a bit more than RE4's did, because RE4 is
    > linear.

    Havent played MP or MP2. I finished RE4 (easy mode) in less than 15
    hrs. Im doing it again (on normal) and i have the feeling this time i
    will finish it even faster.

    Im a lot better with the knife now so im saving lotsa ammo :-)

    Smoke
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Adnan wrote:

    > Nelly wrote:
    > >
    > > I own Metroid Prime and I was absolutely stunned by the sheer gameplay
    > > it provided. It was fun, challenging, and the weapons were cool. Now,
    > > I am researching on Resident Evil 4 and it seems to be getting rave
    > > reviews. I have never played any Resident Evil games before and I was
    > > wondering whether or not should I RE4 instead of Metroid Prime 2? And
    > > also, is RE4 really that scary? Oh, and is there anything else to do
    > > once you complete RE4? I mean, once I completed Metroid Prime there
    > > was pretty much nothing else to do. In other words, Metroid Prime got
    > > boring. I know that Metroid Prime 2 has multiplayer but I do not
    > > really care that much for multiplayer.
    >
    > On the same subject, how long did it take you guys to beat either? I'm
    > trying to decide myself (I eventually want to play both but want to know
    > which to get first) which to get. It took me about 18 hours to beat MP
    > at 100% (no walkthroughs).
    >
    > How does MP2 compare? How does RE4 compare? Longer? Shorter?

    Thanks for the replies.
  21. metroid prime is a fun game and re4 is a good game to but in the end of re4 you get new wepons and more but i am a fan of both game i would say get re4 and it is not that scarey.
  22. Resident evil 4 ma brother. It has few weapons but the gameplay and graphics and looong storyline make it AWESOME.

Console Gaming Games Video Games