No Wireless Networks?

wirm

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Hi folks,

I just received a Premier Tech Powerlink Wireless N USB dongle and tried to install it on my computer (windows 7 64 bit). The installation went fine, but the adapter showed no wireless networks in range. I tried the adapter on 2 other computers (Windows XP Home Edition), and it worked great. It could see networks that I didn't even know existed.

The adapter says it supports Windows 7 64 bit, so I don't think that's the problem. I'm worried that the issue is my computer. I just assembled it about a month ago, and with the exception of wireless networking, it's worked great. But the wireless G adapter I'm using is extremely unstable, constantly dying. I thought that was just an old adapter failing, but could it simply be that my computer sucks at wireless USB adapters?

Any ideas why the new adapter (with high gain 5 db antenna) would work fine on XP but not on win 7 64 bit even though it says it's compatible?

I believe the model is PT-H5DN 300 mbps

Thanks

Solution

No i meant that the USB may just not be supported by windows 7 64-bit. This is unusual but unless you can find the correct drive, then i don't what much else to suggest. If you have tried all USB port with different USB devices, just to make sure the ports work themselves. and then tried the problem USB in other computers on other OS's. then you cant do much else. Sorry. Try another device entirely, ie scrap that one and buy one that is supported.
G

Do try some other USB devices in the problem computer. If they have issues, try reinstalling the USB -- it's usually part of a multi function chipset so make sure you have aWin7 64bit driver for that (if necessary from the chipset maker if the motherboard maker has an older driver).

k7842

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I would check that the driver is up to date, and see that your built PC is providing enough power to the USB ports. Like 'fihart' said, try some other USB devices in the PC and even try a different dongle. Ensure any other NICS are disabled, and your WLAN connection is set up correctly to pick up the networks in range.

wirm

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Hi folks, I am currently using a USB mouse and I've used several USB external hard drives and flash drives. All of these work just fine.

I plugged in the PT-H5DN and entered Ipconfig /all into the command prompt. The result showed the onboard gigabit LAN chip, but it didn't show the USB wireless adapter. I am left to assume that Windows 7 64-bit just doesn't recognize that the card is in. The little LED light on the adapter blinks on and off while the RealTek Wireless Configuration Utility is constantly "Searching for Networks".

Any ideas?

k7842

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

Sounds like that is the case and 64 bit OS isn't recognising your USB. I'd suggest seeing if you can find any drivers for that device, or use a different USB

wirm

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I've tried 3 different USB ports, is that what you mean?

I've also tried several different drivers. The one on the little CD and 2 from the RealTek web site. Still no go :(

k7842

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

No i meant that the USB may just not be supported by windows 7 64-bit. This is unusual but unless you can find the correct drive, then i don't what much else to suggest. If you have tried all USB port with different USB devices, just to make sure the ports work themselves. and then tried the problem USB in other computers on other OS's. then you cant do much else. Sorry. Try another device entirely, ie scrap that one and buy one that is supported.

Solution

theomms

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
This may not be your computer. There are many positive reviews with this adapter, but several people using win 7 64-bit have had problems with this model of adapter.

Those who have the same problem as you have had luck uninstalling all of the software and drivers from realtek then plugging in the adapter and letting win 7 find the correct drivers.

TRENDING THREADS