Strange Desktop View

Hello All.

I've got a strange view of my desktop all of a sudden.

I'm using Office XP and have been for over a year. All
of a sudden, the view of my desktop has a blue LEFT
border and displays:

Folder tasks
Other Places
Details

It looks similar to a FOLDER view. Nothing that I have
tried has succeeded in getting rid of this.

Can anyone PLEASE help me?

Many thanks in advance!

Valerie

Type
regsvr32 /i shell32
in start run.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

"Val Hall" <valerie@desqtopofficesolutions.com> wrote in message news:2b7c701c467d4$5690bbb0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> Hello All.
>
> I've got a strange view of my desktop all of a sudden.
>
> I'm using Office XP and have been for over a year. All
> of a sudden, the view of my desktop has a blue LEFT
> border and displays:
>
> Folder tasks
> Other Places
> Details
>
> It looks similar to a FOLDER view. Nothing that I have
> tried has succeeded in getting rid of this.
>
> Can anyone PLEASE help me?
>
> Many thanks in advance!
>
> Valerie

Thanks so much, David!

I did what you suggested, rebooted and voila! My ol'
familiar desktop was restored! Could you tell me what
caused this?? I'd like to NOT repeat it! :)

Thanks (again).

~Val Hall

-
>'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
>http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.h
tml

>"Val Hall" <valerie@desqtopofficesolutions.com> wrote in
message news:2b7c701c467d4$5690bbb0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
>> Hello All.
>>
>> I've got a strange view of my desktop all of a sudden.
>>
>> I'm using Office XP and have been for over a year.
All
>> of a sudden, the view of my desktop has a blue LEFT
>> border and displays:
>>
>> Folder tasks
>> Other Places
>> Details
>>
>> It looks similar to a FOLDER view. Nothing that I
have
>> tried has succeeded in getting rid of this.
>>
>> Can anyone PLEASE help me?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance!
>>
>> Valerie
>.

The cause is explained here.

Remove Common Tasks from Desktop: From Doug Knox, MVP
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_commtask_desktop.htm

This value is correctly set once the shell32 is registered.

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

The Parasite Fight: