My Own IRC Server?

Tags:
  • Minecraft
  • Build
  • Servers
  • Components
Last response: in Components
December 3, 2011 3:42:23 AM

Looking at putting together a server-like build. Would cost around 250-300, it's cheap, with a 32GB SSD, 8 GB @ 1600MHz. MicroATX, it would be for me and a few friends with maybe a CS:S server, Minecraft Server, and an IRC channel. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea what I should do to create my own server. Can you guys link me to a guide/give me a few pointers on how to go about this? :3

Appreciate it.

More about : irc server

December 3, 2011 10:44:55 PM

Fisrt investigate which server OS all those programs have in common because thats what you'll need to us for an OS. other than that:

$50 motherboard, $50 cpu, $50 case, $50 ram, cheap ssd...
no video card needed beyond setting up the server and installing the OS.
m
l
December 4, 2011 4:45:09 PM

Thanks. And it's an IRC server, not channel, sorry.
m
l
Related resources
December 4, 2011 7:56:31 PM

well there are windows based irc servers but unix would really be the way to go but that would likely leave your game servers out of the loop...
m
l
December 6, 2011 3:17:01 AM

The IRC wouldn't get much traffic, and it would be nice to have a dedicated MC server. I would definitely not go quad-core (i5 2400) if I went Unix though. Would only run an IRC then :/ 
m
l
December 6, 2011 9:46:28 PM

An IRC server doesn't get much traffic? They don't even let you run a server unless you have lots of bandwidth, unless things have changed over the years.
m
l
!